Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Gear lever extension
Greenie

posted on 10/9/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Gear lever extension

As titled my MK has one those gear lever extensions fitted, not sure if this is the norm with this fitment but the gear selection is not the best especially when your sat at the lights and wanting to select first, you sometimes end up taking third or on the odd occasion reverse.... is there a solution to this or is it a case of grin and bare it and perservere with it???
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 10/9/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would check that the Saddle clip has been fitted if not this will allow excessive play. I have an extension and the gear change is brilliant, I also converted the standard stick to a bit of a quick shift folling an idea from this forum

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Lightybob

posted on 10/9/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem, I bought the extension on Ebay, very disappointed, same issues as you. I also had problems with the weld breaking on the support tubing. Not very impressed.
deltron63

posted on 10/9/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield make the best one
rusty nuts

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
Westfield make the best one

Must be good if it's better than the one I made following David Jenkins post several years ago , total cost £0.92 and that's including a quickshift. As already suggestsed try fitting a new saddle on the selector shaft but make sure it's on correctly as it can twist around the shaft

[Edited on 11/9/11 by rusty nuts]

Greenie

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, plenty of encouragement and advice, will start with a strip down and take it from there..... how do you modify this item in to a quick shift, I modified my last seven but this did not have the extension????
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 10/9/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Basically you knock the gear lever through the bush and then araldire or secure it somehow have a look at Dave Jenkings links they give some good information, Oh and then I fittes one of coozers knobs , a quality item I must say and I do believe it helps the feel of the shifting

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Greenie

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Can anyone direct me to Dave Jenkins web site???
Davg

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Here ya go

http://www.lathyrus.eu/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greenie

posted on 11/9/11 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ta much!.............
svante

posted on 29/9/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I had one like those...
On my previous gearbox I had some troubble getting it into 4:th gear. During overtaking on the countryside a weld broke and the unit bended down into the propshaft, what happened then was a bit scary...

The remains of the gearstick:

Damage to fuel and brakelines (and yes they were leaking):

The propshaft took a few bashes:

The aluminium on the tunnel got damaged:

But worst, the gearbox broke in half:

I replaced it with a steering part from a Volvo and a home made linkage:

David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
My design has a solid strip of steel across the top - no welds to break in that way...

And the selector shaft itself is supported by the selector shaft of the gearbox...

... so that's not going to fall down either!

The bottom of the extension does sit very close to the propshaft though:

[Edited on 29/9/11 by David Jenkins]

svante

posted on 29/9/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I would recomend you to add sides so it can't bend.
David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
It's 4 or 5mm steel plate... it's not going to flop down by itself... it would need a sledgehammer!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.