Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Central heating - Pellet boiler and building regs
Dave Ashurst

posted on 3/11/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Central heating - Pellet boiler and building regs

2 questions that are bugging me, maybe someone here can point me in the right direction:

1. What compliance certification should I get, if any, on a imported wood pellet/biomass c/h boiler imported from an EU country?
  2. Can anyone install it?

I need to do it as cheaply, quickly and easily as possible and to stay within to rules.
I skim read some rules but I found nothing to stop me importing any old biomass boiler I want, have it delivered direct to my address, then to install it myself following the building regs guidance on floor slab and flue construction, without applying for permission. Seems I just need a registered electrician to connect it up.

Can it be that simple?
I must be wrong.. right?

I don't think building regs require that the individual boiler make and model is approved by HETAS. True?
Building regs refer to all boilers having to comply with HETAS categories, with respect to thermal efficiency etc.
In our case the manufacturer states boiler efficiency in his spec but the HETAS website doesn't list it.

Building regs require oil and gas fired boilers to be condensing type, installed by registered persons etc. But I don't see any such restrictions on biomass boilers.

tia
Dave

ali f27

posted on 3/11/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi if you have found a sensible priced pellet boiler let me know i think if you have coverd builing regs should be ok maby boiler should be ce marked ?
Cheers Ali

twybrow

posted on 3/11/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Part J building regs just like installing a wood burner. You need to have it installed by a HETAS engineer or have it signed of by building control just like you would with any wood burner type stove. My lot are being great so far with mine - just enjoy the 91 pages of regs to get through!
matt_claydon

posted on 3/11/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
As above, if you don't use a HETAS installer than you need to get you local Building Control to inspect. Don't forget minimum fresh air ventilation requirement and that you must fit a CO alarm.
Dave Ashurst

posted on 3/11/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.
D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.