Board logo

Driving shoes?
David Jenkins - 27/8/17 at 01:23 PM

I have big feet - size 11, and a wide fitting. This makes working the pedals on my Locost a challenge in ordinary shoes. Up to now I've used a pair of canvas deck shoes with quite a narrow fitting so that I can actually drive without getting tangled up, but now they're very grubby, completely worn out and falling apart - in fact, they're in the bin. I tried buying another similar pair, but they get really uncomfortable after a while as the back seam starts to dig into my heel (cheap and very nasty).

So now I'm looking for an alternative. I don't want to pay big money for a pair of proper track driving shoes as that would just be a waste. Trainers are uncomfortable when you're size 11 as they crease in all the wrong places as you walk - they're also not particularly narrow in my size.

Has anyone got any sensible suggestions?

[Edited on 27/8/17 by David Jenkins]

theconrodkid - 27/8/17 at 01:46 PM

racing boots ?, i got karting ones, not fire proof so so as expensive as the real thing and dead sexy

owelly - 27/8/17 at 01:58 PM

I had a cheap pair of Karting boots that I bought from the local track and they fell to bits but they were only £20. Then I found some boxing style boots from one of the sporting superstores. They were on offer at £25 and were light, flexible and had a rolled heel which was comfy for me when driving.
Similar to these: http://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-contender-mens-boxing-boots-140124?colcode=14012440

CosKev3 - 27/8/17 at 03:01 PM

As above,boxing style trainers are ideal

And as a bonus when you are not in the car at shows etc you don't look like a wannabee race car driver like the people in Sparco etc boots!

Nickp - 27/8/17 at 03:04 PM

I use ones like this on my size 12s - http://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-camden-mens-trainers-110054?colcode=11005440

BenB - 27/8/17 at 03:12 PM

I use Converse low shoes (the traditional basketball type not the more modern trainer type Converse shoes). Minimally bigger than my feet, cheap etc

JimSpencer - 27/8/17 at 03:28 PM

Hi

Just buy Karting boots that aren't all about the 'Brand' there's loads of brands that aren't so shouty in the image stakes, you can get plain black if you like, for about £30 (Koden / Keep-Racing etc)
As karting boots don't have to be fireproof you can also get leather ones, which is handy if you're wandering around in them as your feet stay dry(er!) than the Suede type.

It's the narrow fit with the rounded heel that makes them worth it IMHO (wide footed Striker owner!)

HTH

pekwah1 - 27/8/17 at 03:37 PM

I have the same size feet and a striker with a pathetically small pedal box...
I've been using these which I think are great and fine as normal trainers as well..

David Jenkins - 27/8/17 at 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone - I might take a look in Sports Direct after the holidays. If that doesn't work out I'll investigate the karting shoes/boots - anyone know a stockist in East Anglia?

adithorp - 27/8/17 at 04:28 PM

Puma SpeedCat, DriftCat, FutureCat, etc.

907 - 27/8/17 at 06:52 PM

I live in them.

I have a pair for the workshop, a deck style pair for going out in, and a narrower suede pair for driving.

Sssoooooooooooo comfy

RoadkillUK - 27/8/17 at 08:53 PM

Slippers usually, but then again, I'm always in slippers.

Shooter63 - 28/8/17 at 10:01 AM

Converse all stars in traditional black, boot style, good for driving in and you look " down with da kids " what ever that means.

Shooter

Angel Acevedo - 13/9/17 at 06:19 PM

Indoor football shoes are pretty slim..
Are you into it?
Also Otomix Weight lifting shoes are narrow as in feet hugging...

SJ - 14/9/17 at 07:59 AM

What about climbing shoes?

adithorp - 14/9/17 at 09:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SJ

No. Have you ever worn them? They're very good for climbing but nothing else given the shape. Also very uncomfortable.

SJ - 14/9/17 at 09:47 AM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ

No. Have you ever worn them? They're very good for climbing but nothing else given the shape. Also very uncomfortable.

No, never worn them. Just seen them in the shop and thought that they looked small.

David Jenkins - 14/9/17 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
I use ones like this on my size 12s - http://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-camden-mens-trainers-110054?colcode=11005440

I ended up buying a pair of these - but I needed size 12 to fit on my size 11 feet. Not a width problem, the size 11 (and 11.5) were just too short. Unfortunately the size 12 are too long overall (extra length in the heel and toe-cap) and get tangled up under the dashboard gubbins.

It looks like I need to find the equivalent of what I'm using at the moment (size 11 deck shoes). Very annoying as I liked the idea of the rounded heel, as that's where my current shoes are wearing out.

Neville Jones - 14/9/17 at 05:58 PM

Before the fireproof thing came in, nearly all circle trackers wore boxing boots. Soft and supple, and will change shape to nearly any foot shape. Worth a look for just track day footwear.

matt5964 - 14/9/17 at 06:26 PM

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/footwear/sparco-time-77-shoes

Is what I wear or oakley

http://www.kartingwarehouse.com/p204/Oakley---Race-Low-Shoes---Closeout/product_info.html

David Jenkins - 14/9/17 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Before the fireproof thing came in, nearly all circle trackers wore boxing boots. Soft and supple, and will change shape to nearly any foot shape. Worth a look for just track day footwear.

I don't do track driving, but whatever shoes I wear in the car are only for driving, so roughly equivalent. I wouldn't use them for anything else but driving.

[Edited on 14/9/17 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts - 15/9/17 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

I ended up buying a pair of these - but I needed size 12 to fit on my size 11 feet. Not a width problem, the size 11 (and 11.5) were just too short. Unfortunately the size 12 are too long overall (extra length in the heel and toe-cap) and get tangled up under the dashboard gubbins.

It looks like I need to find the equivalent of what I'm using at the moment (size 11 deck shoes). Very annoying as I liked the idea of the rounded heel, as that's where my current shoes are wearing out.

Reminds me of an old song by Zoot Money I think called Ya feets too big. There are advantages being my size with dainty feet.

David Jenkins - 15/9/17 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Reminds me of an old song by Zoot Money I think called Ya feets too big. There are advantages being my size with dainty feet.

It was Fats Waller!