Board logo

Fuel Pump Inertia Cut off Switch location?
Slater - 2/7/20 at 12:28 PM

Folks
I have just got one of these from ebay - 17 quid. It's a "ball on conical seat" type.

[img] fuel pump inertia switch 2jul2
fuel pump inertia switch 2jul2
[/img]

Where should I mount the thing? Obviously direct to chassis or via stiff bracket and vertical with connector pointing down.

Options:
1. Cockpit, maybe down in footwell area, as can be easily reset from driving position.... in a hurry if needed
2. in boot area near the actual fuel pump?
3. in engine bay on scuttle?
4. any other suggestions?

Am I right in thinking it just has to be spliced into the fuel pump 12 V supply wire?

SJ - 2/7/20 at 02:33 PM

Just done the same. Mine is under the dash on the right hand side mounted to the top chassis rail. Out of sight but easily reached from the drivers seat.

In series with the fuel pump supply as you suggest.

Stu

MikeR - 2/7/20 at 02:50 PM

I did think inside the transmission tunnel till I thought about reset (I was thinking cars have them in inaccessible places). I then got to thinking scuttle but I think I prefer your locations.

David Jenkins - 2/7/20 at 03:12 PM

Mine is on the firewall under the dash, on the passenger's side. I wired mine to cut power to the fuel pump and ignition - I wired my car to have a security system, so effectively the switch resets the security and shuts everything down.

SJ - 2/7/20 at 03:42 PM

quote:

Mine is on the firewall under the dash, on the passenger's side. I wired mine to cut power to the fuel pump and ignition - I wired my car to have a security system, so effectively the switch resets the security and shuts everything down.

Good idea

adithorp - 2/7/20 at 05:01 PM

Mines behind the dash but within reach. I put it there thinking if it knocked of on just a big pothole, I could get it back on or even if it cut out in a minor colition I'd be able to move to a safe place.
Mines wired into the bike looms kill switch so cuts fuel and ingition. If I was wireing into just the pump, I'd put it on fuel pump relay (trigger side) so it's not carrying full pump current.

britishtrident - 2/7/20 at 05:04 PM

Any solid part of the structure best mounted towards the centre car on a Seven style car you could mount it behind the rear bulkhead

big_wasa - 2/7/20 at 07:07 PM

It needs to be easy to get to.

Mines here, passenger transmission tunnel where it meets the footwell.

[Edited on 2/7/20 by big_wasa]

Mash - 2/7/20 at 08:43 PM

Mounted mine on the rear bulkhead between the seats next to my extinguisher.

Mines in series with the pump.

David Jenkins - 2/7/20 at 08:48 PM

Ideally, it should be as vertical as possible.

CosKev3 - 2/7/20 at 09:08 PM

As Adi says above,ideally wants to be in the trigger feed to the fuel pump relay,unless of course the switch has proof it can handle the full power of your fuel pump through it?

Slater - 3/7/20 at 09:58 AM

Thanks Guys, all good feedback.

I think Big Wasa has a good location, easily accessible if required but tucked out of view and central in the chassis too. The wire to the fuel pump pass close to that location too. I might be wrong but I don't think my bike carb fuel pump has a relay, my memory of doing the wiring in 2007 is a bit hazy though, so I will double check.

CosKev3 - 3/7/20 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Thanks Guys, all good feedback.

I think Big Wasa has a good location, easily accessible if required but tucked out of view and central in the chassis too. The wire to the fuel pump pass close to that location too. I might be wrong but I don't think my bike carb fuel pump has a relay, my memory of doing the wiring in 2007 is a bit hazy though, so I will double check.

No probably not,as carbs dont require any fuel pressure to work,the pump just keeps the fuel bowls full.
A fuel injection pump needs to run at high pressure so draws much more power so would be wired through a relay.

J666AYP - 3/7/20 at 06:13 PM

Stuck mine out of the way in the back as my scuttle area is very cluttered.

Angel Acevedo - 10/7/20 at 09:42 PM

Late to the party.
I installed mine on the bulkhead in front of the scuttle.
It is wired on the control side of the Fuel Pump Circuit so It handles only Relay Coil current.
Accessibility is relatively low compared with other locations, but I donīt see that as a nuissance.
It never tripped on the donor car, so I donīt thik it will trip unless heavily hit.
I used the Mustang Stock one. I think it handled full pump amps so current is not a problem.