Board logo

Locostbuilders trackday poll
JoelP - 24/1/07 at 12:52 PM

If you expect to be able to attend a trackday between 2 and 4 months from now, in middle england, please vote for a location. I would suggest leaving this running for a week or two, and then having another poll between the top 2 later. Feel free to add suggestions about circuit.

shortie - 24/1/07 at 12:54 PM

I've gone for Rockingham as it has all the facilities if it rains!!

rayward - 24/1/07 at 12:56 PM

Cadwell for me!!!

Ray

graememk - 24/1/07 at 12:57 PM

cadwell as its 20 miles away

roadrunner - 24/1/07 at 01:09 PM

Cadwell please, i've never had my car on track yet, would like to be fairly close to home incase of FUBAR.

mookaloid - 24/1/07 at 01:12 PM

I would have to say Cadwell because it's closest for me.

however I've never been on any of those tracks so I don't know how good the facilities are at any of them.....

Cheers

Mark

Agriv8 - 24/1/07 at 01:14 PM

Oulton for me as its the only one I have driven arround enjoyed it.

Also been a passenger With MNR Marc in the R1 ( in holigan mode ) I stoped shaking an hour or too later.

No Donnington Is that too far South ?

regards

Agriv8

Hammerhead - 24/1/07 at 01:16 PM

Donington please

welderman - 24/1/07 at 01:18 PM

Oulton for me and mate. Had a enjoyable day out.

worX - 24/1/07 at 01:33 PM

It'd have to be Oulton for me - only been round it on bike, and last time I destroyed bike and did involuntary 100mph + somersaults (sans bike!!!)

tim windmill - 24/1/07 at 04:08 PM

cadwell for us

cossiebri - 24/1/07 at 04:42 PM

I know where rockingham is but none of the others ?
someone give us a clue

Andy North - 24/1/07 at 04:49 PM

Mallory for me due to location, but I don't know what there noise levels are.

andyps - 24/1/07 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy North

Come on Andy - it would be well worth the drive to Cadwell for you!!

Maybe you could organise a cheap one that we could all travel to France for - I'd be up for it

bigrich - 24/1/07 at 05:07 PM

cadwell or oulton for me, done cadwell on bike and oulton in the car, both top circuits

Jon Ison - 24/1/07 at 05:27 PM

Ive gone for Cadwell as its a great circuit too drive, especially the full, take plenty of drive shafts for the mountain.........

cossiebri - 24/1/07 at 05:32 PM

Yeah but where are they ????
Have found..cadwell,mallory & rockingham,
need help with the others

[Edited on 24/1/07 by cossiebri]

greggors84 - 24/1/07 at 05:42 PM

I voted Rockingham, it looks the most centrally located, not sure where we will be able to camp, but im sure there will be somwhere locally.

Stolen from Joels previous post

[Edited on 24/1/2007 by greggors84]

andylancaster3000 - 24/1/07 at 06:00 PM

Cadwell all the way! I would like to give donny a go in the dry however.

I assume the 'ring is a little too far for you?

Andy

cossiebri - 24/1/07 at 06:09 PM

Rockingham (only because goodwood is not there,,only about 14miles from me)
Cheers for the map greggors

Hellfire - 24/1/07 at 06:18 PM

Cadwell gets my vote but like I said in the original thread, anywhere between Brands and Knockhill will be OK.

Phil

smart51 - 24/1/07 at 06:38 PM

quote:

noise levels at mallory were stated at 105dB(a) at 0.5m but I didn't see a noise meter when I was there.

smart51 - 24/1/07 at 06:39 PM

I voted for rockingham because its supposed to be really good but I'd go to mallory if there was enough support.

TangoMan - 24/1/07 at 06:41 PM

I think noise levels may alter the vote.

It would be good to post the levels so there are no suprises.

Anyone know the noise levels for each circuit. I know Donington is 98db but not sure about those listed.

Although Cadwell is close to me and would be a close second choice, Rockingham gets my vote as I fancy the run down the pit straight/bend and the facilities are V good. Also as the infield is open there are less likely to be collisions with the scenery.

slim Jim - 24/1/07 at 08:36 PM

Real tough one, Cadwell has to be the best listed but probably only if you are very confident with your car as there is not a lot of room for forgiveness in some places if you get in a mess.

For the best track for all-comers I would probably go Oulton (Donington is also a goodie!).

Definitely not a Rockingham man having managed 4 barrel rolls in my Mini there

givemethebighammer - 24/1/07 at 08:40 PM

Mallory (and Donington) are closest to me but I voted Rockingham because I've never driven it and some of the videos I've seen taken there look pretty cool.

kipper - 24/1/07 at 08:42 PM

I would have to vote Cadwell as I did an awful lot of my bike racing there and have the trophies to look at in my old age.
The thing to consider is (as has been mentioned) noise levels.
No good going to some track only to have loads of hassle.
Elvington is more wide open with lots of run off for track newbies.
Time to vote off the weakest link.
Regards Kipper.............AKA, Denis

JoelP - 24/1/07 at 08:43 PM

donnington isnt on the list due to the ridiculous noise restrictions.

Rockingham is great, really good, and the garages just kick ass. Not sure how you go about hiring the full thing though, and i suspect it will be expensive!

DIY Si - 24/1/07 at 08:52 PM

As said, many of us BEC boys will need a nice high noise place. I've gone Rockingham anyway, since SWMBO don't trust my car enough to let me drive any further.

matt.c - 24/1/07 at 09:49 PM

I vote cadwell after seeing the video on google (circuit days)
Even though i wont be able to drive it, I would love to come and watch.

cheers

matt

JoelP - 24/1/07 at 10:54 PM

this course is great!

PAUL FISHER - 25/1/07 at 01:08 AM

I think rockingham would tick all the boxes for a good venue for a locost builders track day,except for the locost bit,but I would think for a large booking we could get a good discount.
But rockinghams got it all,great twisty bit in the middle,for the bec's,and then the long banked section to give the car engined cars a chance to catch up,plenty of run off,great pit garages,great for spectators,you can see the whole track from the viewing point ontop of the pit garages,no noise problems,its a pretty central location,with good A1/M1 connections,its got my vote

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

Andy North - 25/1/07 at 05:11 AM

quote]Originally posted by andyps

quote:
Mallory for me due to location, but I don't know what there noise levels are. [

Come on Andy - it would be well worth the drive to Cadwell for you!!

Maybe you could organise a cheap one that we could all travel to France for - I'd be up for it

Nearest would be Loheac normally 80 Euros for half a day, but I have seen it down to 60 Euros Too long for most though!

Andy North - 25/1/07 at 05:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:

noise levels at mallory were stated at 105dB(a) at 0.5m but I didn't see a noise meter when I was there.

Thanks for that

OX - 25/1/07 at 04:40 PM

oulton park,but its pricy.anglesey race track would be a laugh,only costs £3000 to hire .

procomp - 25/1/07 at 05:08 PM

Hi anywhere is good for me. The comments about donnington and noise would deffo rule out most of the bec guys.

But cadwell would get my vote.

cheers matt

Wadders - 25/1/07 at 06:09 PM

Swayed by Joels picture of the track and Paul Fishers reasoned argument, i voted for Rockingham, but at the end of the day, don't really care where we end up as long as there's no noise police.

Al.

872 views so far, and only 67 peeps have voted???? come on everyone have your say.

[Edited on 25/1/07 by Wadders]

ASH3 - 25/1/07 at 08:20 PM

Cadwell for me

andrews_45 - 25/1/07 at 10:04 PM

My two pence... for me to come, it would have to be a track on the Locost Callender. The funds are tight at min, but if its on one of the 750mc rounds then would be an ideal op to learn a new track

procomp - 26/1/07 at 03:25 PM

Hi have found some links to show a few laps of the various tracks for thoes that are not familiar with them.

MALLORY PARK

CADWELL PARK

OULTON PARK

cheers matt

Simon - 26/1/07 at 08:52 PM

I voted Rockingham, as it looks like I'd have to do a fair few miles to any of suggested.

Brands I've done on bike and is local, but not on list. Cadwell I've done on bike, but it can be a 4 - 6 hour journey, and I wouldn't fancy a 4 hour journey, then tracktime, the same back again. Could stay somewhere I guess - will speak to SWMBO nearer time.

Better get on with making my car the fastest in the world

ATB

Simon

PS - Not available on:

18/3/07 Pionee Run
6/7/07 Goodwood FoS
7/7/07 Birthday
8/7/07 Duxford Flying Legends
etc etc

CairB - 26/1/07 at 09:10 PM

Just thinking,

If the numbers are there would it be benefitial to get an outfit that already organise events such as Javelin etc to organise the locostbuilder event?

JoelP - 26/1/07 at 09:24 PM

we havent got that far yet, hopefully someone will step up and organise it!

I dont mind ringing a few places to find prices though

locoR1 - 27/1/07 at 09:17 PM

Rockingham gets my vote
Price always put me off Rockingham if we get a good discount for group booking I'm up for it
Could probably talk a few more of the Peterborough lot into i as well

Dave..........

JoelP - 27/1/07 at 09:18 PM

im leaning rockingham myself. I guess we have to follow the final vote though, but theres no reason we cant do them all over the course of the year!

procomp - 27/1/07 at 09:30 PM

Hi i think if this is left to run for a few more days and then see what sort of number of people we are looking at.

As this will decide whether it is a locost trackday or just 15-20 of us on the back of an already organised day at whatever track is desided.

cheers matt

JoelP - 28/1/07 at 11:48 PM

well, the votes havent changed in a day. Out of 76 votes we can hopefully squeeze 25 out for any one venue, which is a nice number. I suspect rockingham could have 25 on track at once and still feel lonely!

What are peoples thoughts? Proceed with rockingham or have a vote off between the top 3? I cant find a campsite within 15 miles of the circuit. I'll ring them tomorrow to find prices etc Rescued attachment rockinghamariel.JPG
Rescued attachment rockinghamariel.JPG

Simon - 29/1/07 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I cant find a campsite within 15 miles of the circuit.

Perhaps they could put us up inside the circuit

Yeah, I'd be up for Rockingham. Not for for 3-4 months though - need to ensure reworking works And need to save up a bit!!!

ATB

Simon

MOz - 29/1/07 at 01:02 PM

Oulton Park as its great and closest to me.

Donny has to be the most central with the best transport links.........

If its facilities as well what about Silverstone?????

I've ridden all three and Oulton has to be the winner from a circuit experience point of view....

Cadwell is miles from anywhere......... so no to that one.

MOz

MOz - 29/1/07 at 01:11 PM

Interesting point about Anglesey circuit. OK miles from anywhere but if you go for a summer date there are loads of campsite etc etc close by and its family friendly (send the missus and kids to the beach for the day).

Plus the circuit is undergoing a massive refurb at the moment to make it a national standard circuit. Details here:

http://brsccnw.com/IMAGES/Anglesey%20Dec%202006.jpg

Its cheap, no noise limits and only 5 mins from my gaff!

Worth considering. Could be a worthwhile weekend with BBQ, social as well as trackday.

MOz

[Edited on 29/1/07 by MOz]

[Edited on 2/2/07 by MOz]

greggors84 - 29/1/07 at 02:31 PM

Ive done a search for campsites near rockingham and the nearest one is Billing Aquadrome which is still 25 miles away. Im sure there must be ones nearer. Does anyone more local know of any. There is one in corby but its no tents.

Guinness - 29/1/07 at 02:47 PM

I'm not sure I have the suspension travel for Anglesey

Might have to convert to 4x4 first!

On a more serious note though, it does sound tempting, make it a sunny summer weekender, beers, BBQ and the beach!

Combine that with the smell of burnt tyres, super unleaded and fear!

Wooo hooo!

Mike

JoelP - 29/1/07 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
make it a sunny summer weekender, beers, BBQ and the beach!

thats the problem, its going to be a lot cheaper on a monday, weekend track hire is well expensive.

TangoMan - 29/1/07 at 11:56 PM

I will do some digging for a Campsite near Rockingham. I used to have around 100 locals work for me there so someone will know of a place to camp.

I have a feeling that there is one near Dingley, about 10 miles away along the twisty A427. Failing that there will be one, probably several, at Rutland Water. Another nice drive down the A6003. Rutland is also a nice place for a day out if you want to bring the family.

Lots of options here

TBW: Nice picture of Anglesey. Almost Life Sized!!

[Edited on 30/1/07 by TangoMan]

MOz - 30/1/07 at 07:52 AM

Sorry.... it is a bit big isn't it.....

Track will be 12 m wide and the GP Circuit is 2.1 miles long. The surface is obviously brand new with no joins in any braking areas. Cost to hire Anglesey before was only £3000 but no charges have been released for the new one. That said, I live near the owners/management and could enquire if anyone was seriously interested...... Personally I think its a no brainer, brand new national standard circuit, no noise limits, should be relatively cheap, lots to amuse the others in your family, plenty of local campsites within 2 miles of the circuit, local village has one of the finest beaches on the island and loads of restaurants, shops, perfect for a social too etc

I've ridden Rockingham and it really doesn't appeal.... its just not as good as Oulton, Silverstone, Donny etc...

BTW I know exactly where Donny's trackside noise meter is so can advise when to feather the throttle..... I've been on a quiet bike day at Donny, no paddock noise testing and all day, no warnings on a Aprilia RSV with full system and ZX10R with full system...... You just need to know how to beat the system!!!

MOz

JoelP - 30/1/07 at 08:09 PM

i rang rockingham today. They want £9550 for the national circuit or 11k for the international full circuit.

The lady made out that she had no room to negotiate, except on cancellations (rare and you only get a few weeks notice) or out of season, ie November. She recommended that we approach Jonny at book-a-track, as i assume he gets a better deal and might help out. Those prices dont include insurance, she implied that unless you are a registered trackday organiser you will struggle to find insurance, leaving the organiser wide open to some serious claims!

Does anyone know Jonny at bookatrack personally? If not i'll call him myself and see what he says.

Apparently the international circuit can take 40 cars, though assumedly not all at once.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

[Edited on 30/1/07 by JoelP]

procomp - 31/1/07 at 08:09 AM

Hi having a fairly good idea of what the tracks cost to hire eg oulton is cira £18000.

I still think that given the number of people that are likley to acctually attend the only real way is going to book up on the back of an already orgonised day and get a small discount for bringing 10 or more in a group.

This will also mean that no one has to do all the organising and sorting of payments as attendie's would just book direct with company running the day.

cheers matt

[Edited on 31/1/07 by procomp]

smart51 - 31/1/07 at 08:24 AM

Llandow costs about £1200 to hire midweek, £1500 monday or friday and £2000 at the weekend, per day. That includes 2 marshalls. A paramedic costs £120 for the day and an ambulance £150

Alternatively, they'll organise a private trackday for you and your friends for £90 per car plus £141 for the medic for the day

Llandow may not be everyone's favorite nor the most centrally located but it costs a whole lot less than £18,000

MOz - 1/2/07 at 10:36 AM

My thoughts would be tag a group onto an existing organised day but have a group discount negotiated and see if an organiser would be willing to reserve a number of places for us until a few weeks before the event. Thats what my bike forum are doing as they have very good links with a trackday company....

Anyone have a good trackday organiser contact???

MOz

shortie - 1/2/07 at 05:27 PM

Lotus on Track might be able to sort a session on one of their days for Locostbuilders, they do team up quite alot with other owners clubs such as MR2 or MG, I will ask the question.

Rich.

TangoMan - 7/2/07 at 11:57 PM

Just a thought on this one.

Have a look at This Place.

£45 per day for testing on the tarmac circuit.

That is bloody cheap. I will be going there once my engine install is sorted for a day of setting up the engine and suspension.

I am not sure what insurance would cost for an organised event but perhaps they would organise a day for us.

I will try to get over to have a look at the place when I get back from skiing next week.

TangoMan - 8/2/07 at 12:22 AM

Forgot to mention that I may be booking a corporate day here soon so will chat to them about holding a day for us.

[Edited on 8/2/07 by TangoMan]

smart51 - 8/2/07 at 08:55 AM

Here are some aerial pictures of rally drive. The "runway" is blocked off by the small circuit at the bottom so the only real circuit it the loop at the top.

The top circuit is about 1/2 a mile long and could be a bit interesting for £45 per head but the top speed on the straight is probably about 90 and its all right hand corners.

Let us know the standard of tarmac when you go there. Rescued attachment blyton.JPG
Rescued attachment blyton.JPG

andyps - 8/2/07 at 01:58 PM

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here - if enough people were interested it would be possible to organise a driving school at Harewood speed Hillclimb - not as much on track time as there would be on a track day, but you get input from qualified instructors. The cost for the day is £3750 + VAT, maximum numbers are 30. Just a thought - additional details here

procomp - 8/2/07 at 02:51 PM

Hi just a thought but after finding out that the WSCC mallory trackday has been canceld and reading futher on in this thread LINK

I was thinking that it might not be a bad idea to perhaps join forces to provide further numbers for a track day. There is already a few of the wscc members on this forum. And dare i say it but there are more of there members that are into using thier cars on trackdays/motorsport so combined numbers could be realistic for a good day.

Also concerning this post from andyps.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here - if enough people were interested it would be possible to organise a driving school at Harewood speed Hillclimb - not as much on track time as there would be on a track day, but you get input from qualified instructors. The cost for the day is £3750 + VAT, maximum numbers are 30. Just a thought - additional details here

This could also work as a joint venture as an awful lot of thier members are in to sprinting with there own sprint championship.

Just a thought dont know what do you think.

Cheers matt

smart51 - 8/2/07 at 03:55 PM

Have you spoken to the WSCC? Why not find out numbers needed and cost, I'd be happy to join them for a track day at Mallory if it wasn't too expensive.

andyps - 8/2/07 at 03:55 PM

Matt - they sound like good ideas to me. WSCC have a "fun day" at Harewood each year and have got close to having to cancel it in the past due to low numbers and cost/problems with sorting out insurance. Not sure of the day this year but it is usually the last Sunday in May (day before the second bank holiday). It is a fun day because MSA regs mean that timing of cars is not allowed as with track days, but it doesn't stop people going quick!!

procomp - 9/2/07 at 07:29 PM

Hi right have been speaking to the wscc club chairman. It would seem that with all the area groups and thier sprinting championship dates it would not be in the clubs favour to organise a track day.

But did say that if they where to they would just book up with a group booking with one of the already preferd trackday organisers. This would be because almost all available date for circuits for this year are already taken by test days -trackdays-race dates leaving no real dates for a club to use.

So thier is the posibility of joining forces to create enough numbers to group book an already existing day later in the year.

Is this what people on here would be happy to do. I can not personaly see any downside to this sort of arrangment and means we would have a day of purely seven type cars .

What do all think.

cheers matt

JoelP - 9/2/07 at 11:08 PM

sounds good, certainly beats the hassle of arranging it all ouselves.

richijenkin - 14/2/07 at 05:35 PM

With 30 people, I dont think we'd get many runs. You'd spend most of the day queing up.

I think ox's idea of anglesey is the cheapest so far. And you get to spend as much time on the track as you want.

Rig

[Edited on 14/2/07 by richijenkin]

procomp - 15/2/07 at 08:43 AM

Hi i think that if Chris mason with this thread LINK Can get it arranged it will be one of the best options as it is over 2 days and a decent price.

cheers matt

Viper - 15/2/07 at 10:59 PM

My opinion for what its worth..
Rockingham is awsome for facilitys and spectators, as for driving it is difficult to go fast and easy to fall off ( or it was the last time we were there) the infield is very flat and has little in the way of scenery to give you an idea of braking points etc, dead easy to go into a corner too quick and fall off...

Has anyone considered Bedford Autodrome? the place is huge and has massive run off areas so should you fall off there is little chance off hitting anything and less stoppages due to someone stuck in the gravel..

Just a thought