Board logo

robin hood 2b questions
786evo8 - 3/2/11 at 09:51 AM

hi guys,

firstly a big thank you to this forum. as a newbie ive managed to find loads of info on here!.

but i have a few questions

there’s not much info about the robin hood 2b cars on here. ive been looking on their website but theres no mention of the 2b, only there zero range. so how old is the 2b chassis? ive seen some 2009 registered 2b's so im guessing not that old.

how well rated are they for track use (not the lightweight version as i need road use as well).

what things should i be looking out for if I buy a ready built one?.

any pointer or advise would be a great help!

thanks

jav

[Edited on 3/2/11 by 786evo8]

Macbeast - 3/2/11 at 10:00 AM

Without having any personal experience, I've heard they are heavy and use the complete Sierra rear axle which weighs a ton in itself.

MikeRJ - 3/2/11 at 10:05 AM

They are crap in almost every aspect; badly designed and engineered and very heavy. Some poor buggers have made heroic efforts in putting together road cars of reasonable build quality, but IMO they are one of the worst choices you could make for a track car (a Locust might be worse).

The thing you really need to look out for is a different car.

[Edited on 3/2/11 by MikeRJ]

interestedparty - 3/2/11 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

The thing you really need to look out for is a different car.

Cruel, but true.

BenB - 3/2/11 at 10:53 AM

RH 2b:

Advantage: Quite big inside (ie good for big drivers), tend to sell v cheaply

Disadvantage: Heavy, some had a sliding pillar arrangement on the front suspension, the rear arches were made up from an outer GRP "lip" to a single sheet of metal which was a PITA to get right without using loads of filler (even more weight!). Did I mention heavy?

For track day use it would be better than a 2-ton bus but not as good as a "proper" Locost.

I wouldn't put anything I was fond of in an unmodified lightweight. With modifications perhaps. But not without. The harness mountings alone gave me nightmares....

Andi - 3/2/11 at 11:06 AM

You need to go to
http://www.rhocar.org

Plenty of 2b stuff there.

designer - 3/2/11 at 11:35 AM

I have a 2B.

http://www.shedworks.eu/garage.html

Yes, they are not as light as others, but for me it is ideal. The 2B is one of the bigger 7's, so you sit 'in' it, rather than 'on' it, and with my 2 litres I can do enough, as a high top speed is irrelevant in today,s world.

If you are thinking of one, make sure you get one with wishbone front suspension as most opinions are based on the old sliding pillar front suspension, which was awful.

Any questions? Don't be afraid to ask.

786evo8 - 3/2/11 at 12:25 PM

thanks for the replies,

i am 6ft4 and around 15 stone so this was one of the reasons i was looking at this model.

im looking at upgrading the engine to a rb25det so weight wasn’t one of my worries. only thing putting me off is due to the comments on chassis design and general suspension setups.

hum i guess i better carry on looking. maybe a mnr rt+ ?

shaft - 3/2/11 at 12:50 PM

GBS now do a wide bodied varient of their current Zero model as an option. I'm led to believe the interior space is comparable to a 2B so would suit the larger driver.
I'm 6'1", 16st and fit in my normal sized Zero very comfortably, albeit a tad snuggly though! lovfl.

Robin Hood did change into GBS, yes, but the only link left now is the stigma they are fast leaving behind.
I think as more Zero's get on the road, on display at the shows and thrown around the track they'll soon be as popular as the other market leaders in the sub 10k range??
I hope so anyway as i can't fault mine in anyway shape or form.
Skoda did it... So will GBS.

Nick. (proud Zero owner)

tegwin - 3/2/11 at 02:26 PM

I built a 2B.,.. it was utter crap... heavy, complicated..... dont do it!

dinosaurjuice - 3/2/11 at 02:36 PM

just my opinion, but the ZERO is the 2nd best value kitcar on the market. only beaten by the MEV exocet. either would be a good choice, the mev is probably more roomier inside.

snapper - 3/2/11 at 02:52 PM

Only real men can build a Robin Hood, it's to complicated for boys.
Ha Ha Ha
I'm going to turn my computer off now and wait a few hours before viewing the replies

geoff82 - 3/2/11 at 03:23 PM

i bought a robin hood 2b kit new in 1999 one of the first, it was so bad i took a 9" angle grinder and cut the chassis up in temper. do not buy one they were rubbish.

ReMan - 5/2/11 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by geoff82
i bought a robin hood 2b kit new in 1999 one of the first, it was so bad i took a 9" angle grinder and cut the chassis up in temper. do not buy one they were rubbish.

Haha
This should be stickied for all time

britishtrident - 5/2/11 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by geoff82

Yes --- keep death off the roads.