Board logo

How high is yours?
DIY Si - 17/5/06 at 07:14 PM

Just measured my chassis and planning on having a 4"gap above my head to the top of the roll bar. This gives a total height of 46" if I have a 5.5" ground clearance. How does this measure up with everyone else? Is this low, high or pretty standard?

Messenjah - 17/5/06 at 07:28 PM

iirc the same height as the new ford gt

DIY Si - 17/5/06 at 07:35 PM

Yours is, or the ford gt is 46"?

Messenjah - 17/5/06 at 07:39 PM

i dotn have one lol the ford gt is 46

andylancaster3000 - 17/5/06 at 07:44 PM

If you were to be racing, the MSA say 2 inches above a helmeted head. 4" would be fine if a little OTT for the road.

Andy

DIY Si - 17/5/06 at 07:48 PM

That's to allow space for the helmet when I wear it. Probably won't wear it all year round though, so may drop it by an inch yet.

chriscook - 17/5/06 at 08:04 PM

IMHO When setting roll bar height you should draw a line from the top of the roll bar to the highest structural point at the front of the car - front top cross member probably and this line should clear your helmeted head. ie think how the car would come to rest upside down on a flat surface and make sure the top of your head isn't through the surface. (Yes i know real ditches etc aren't flat so its not perfect - if you want to b as safe as possifble weld in a cage!)

DIY Si - 17/5/06 at 08:08 PM

That's roughly what I did. The main hoop will be fairly upright and have two rear legs. And fully welded. I think it's safer and easier to do for me. Also can't see the advantage of bolting it in. Especially since there'll be a floor under the boot.