Board logo

Chassis Width
stig2 - 25/5/06 at 07:39 AM

By how much should I widen the chassis if I am using a Sierra for donor parts?

Avoneer - 25/5/06 at 07:45 AM

Nowt - unless you are anorexically challenged.

You'll just need wider rear arches.

Pat...

James - 25/5/06 at 09:27 AM

Agreed.

Widening it can only make you life harder.... I speak from experience!

Cheers,
James

wilkingj - 25/5/06 at 10:19 AM

Use Wider Back wings to cover it up?

smart51 - 25/5/06 at 11:07 AM

if you are going to have a wider axle then you might as well have a wider chassis. You will have a less exposed right elbow or more room between you and a passenger. Are there plans for a 4" wider chassis or is it just a +442? I'm sure it's worth the extra effort.

Peteff - 25/5/06 at 11:53 AM

Draw it out on your baseboard with the seating area 4" wider and just extend the J1 and J2 and the D1 and D2 till they meet the side rails, then make all the back 4" wider.

t.j. - 25/5/06 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stig2
By how much should I widen the chassis if I am using a Sierra for donor parts?

I'm using the sierra track at the rear 151 cm. planning with 195/50 r15 it will be about 173 cm.

As i'm someone with at lot of muscles i'm want the place to sit 5 cm extra room.
So i planning to extended the upper rail which comes from the scuttle, this will result in more room at my back. like HKT, VM and Donkervoort does. Only problem is that you will get more corners in the rear instead of handy 90degrs

MikeRJ - 25/5/06 at 01:19 PM

Personaly I think the massively wide rear arches look awfull on a 7, especialy from the rear. I would definately go for a 4" wider chassis using either the McSorley plans or the GTS plans (though you have to pay for them).

Simon - 25/5/06 at 08:21 PM

I added 4" across the width on mine.

Of course, you could always chuck an A Series in the "boot" and do away with the transmission tunnel. Then you could put the wheel in the middle and have 3 1/2' for your muscles

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 25/5/06 by Simon]

leto - 12/6/06 at 07:07 AM

Get the rear wing and the wheels you plan to use. Try on the wings over the wheels till it will look good. Build chassis to fit. A friend of mine actually did this.