Board logo

Building the Chassis
girlzlover12 - 11/8/06 at 04:55 PM

I was wondering where I could get details about the enzo chassis from and what the best material would be to use to build a replica of that chassis. Im planning on arc welding it if that makes a difference in materials let me know.

John Bonnett - 11/8/06 at 05:07 PM

Most frames are built using 1.5mm wall thickness tube either square tube which is electric resistance welded (ERW) or round tube with the same wall thickness. This is quite difficult to weld using an arc welder. You can also use rolled holow section (RHS) which in inch square tube is normally 3mm wall thickness. This can quite easily be arc welded but the penalty is weight without much additional strength. Most people would use 25mm square ERW and MIG weld which is probably the easiest of all the welding techniques.

You will find that there are a lot of people in this Group very willing to help you with specific queries as you progress but I hope this will give you a start.

John

carsonp - 11/8/06 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by girlzlover12
I was wondering where I could get details about the enzo chassis from and what the best material would be to use to build a replica of that chassis. Im planning on arc welding it if that makes a difference in materials let me know.

The enzo chassis isnt really a chassis as you might be thinking. Its a full carbon fiber monocoche IIRC.

I have no idea where you would find plans for that, and even if you did, it might be tough to convert it to a standard square or tube steel chassis.

Good luck!

andyharding - 11/8/06 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Most frames are built using 1.5mm wall thickness tube either square tube which is electric resistance welded (ERW) or round tube with the same wall thickness. This is quite difficult to weld using an arc welder. You can also use rolled holow section (RHS) which in inch square tube is normally 3mm wall thickness. This can quite easily be arc welded but the penalty is weight without much additional strength. Most people would use 25mm square ERW and MIG weld which is probably the easiest of all the welding techniques.
John

RHS = Rectangular Hollow Section

John Bonnett - 12/8/06 at 04:50 AM

RHS = Rectangular Hollow Section

I don't want to nit pick but RHS does stand for rolled hollow section confirmed by:
http://www.scottmetals.com.au/rhsptd.html
Quote:RHS = Rolled Hollow Section. NOT Rectangular Hollow Section as most people think.

The point I wanted to make was that ERW has a thin wall section and will be difficult to arc weld but RHS, whatever it stands for is easier to arc weld but heavier.

John

Liam - 12/8/06 at 01:00 PM

Best of luck arc welding one of these... Rescued attachment Enzo-Chassis-2.jpg
Rescued attachment Enzo-Chassis-2.jpg

Liam - 12/8/06 at 01:01 PM

If you want to make a steel chassis for a similar car have a look at something like a lambo countach chassis or an ultima chassis (much simpler and much wobblier).

Liam

TheGecko - 13/8/06 at 02:51 AM

Put "countach chassis" into a Google image search and feast your eyes on the plethora of tubes! Happy welding