Board logo

Welding Up Rivet Holes!
scootz - 30/7/07 at 08:52 PM

Right...

Chassis stripped for shot-blast and powdercoat, but... I've got a squillion and one rivet holes that I don't want full of sand.

Welding them up is easy enough, but what would you recommend for smoothing down the weld so that the chassis rails are nice and flat again?

clockwork - 30/7/07 at 08:55 PM

Angle grinder + file + "grease de elbow"

907 - 30/7/07 at 09:04 PM

Flap disc.

Paul G

Peteff - 30/7/07 at 09:18 PM

I got some 80 grit fibre disks and use them with a flexible nylon backing pad in my grinder. They last for ages and polish the metal instead of digging in like grinding wheels.

RazMan - 30/7/07 at 09:32 PM

The angle grinder flap wheels are ideal for that job

NigeEss - 30/7/07 at 10:10 PM

I use flapdisks too, these ones Flappylink in fact.

Brilliant.

Litemoth - 31/7/07 at 05:35 AM

I'm with Pete,
Grinding disks are a bit severe for this job as you don't want to thin the walls of the tube. I've found the fibre discs (with the nylon backing pad) most successful for this. Guard manufacturers and sheet metal fabricators use these for finishing welds.

If you're feeling lucky; There are these funky see-through grindy disks available now - they allow you to see what you're wrecking as it happens!

See Screwfix

[Edited on 31/7/07 by Litemoth]

clockwork - 2/8/07 at 02:25 PM

I've not had a problem with my angle grinder, maybe I'm careful, but out of curiosity went and got the fibredisks to give them a try. Have to say I was impressed.
I've learnt something new today

MikeRJ - 3/8/07 at 11:05 AM

I've always known the flexible discs as 'linishing' discs. They are essential if you are welding external panels on car bodywork etc. where the weld needs to be invisible afterwards.

Peteff - 3/8/07 at 12:13 PM

I bought mine here and got a nylon backing pad for about £4 from a local diy shop. They should last for years.