Board logo

MPG, fuel tank size etc
paulmw - 27/4/09 at 11:32 AM

Stick with me on this one.... My fuel tank is a standard MK one so I reckon about 5 gallons and I have an intergrated pump which sits high up in the tank. So at 30mpg I should get about 150 miles from a tank.

I dont have a fuel gauge so rely on the bike clocks low warning light which comes on after about 60 miles.

So do I just keep stopping for fuel to top up or do I measure 150miles then fill up

My first real long drive in it will be Stoneleigh so dont really want to test it then

Paul

nitram38 - 27/4/09 at 11:35 AM

Just take a spare 5 ltr can with you as back up and do some calcs based on when it runs out!

sickbag - 27/4/09 at 11:36 AM

Fill it to the top, and take a full 5 litre container with you.

Keep driving until you run out of petrol. Take a mental note of the mileage you've just done and fill up from the 5 litre tub.

Edited: Too slow there.

[Edited on 27/4/09 by sickbag]

Steve Hignett - 27/4/09 at 11:37 AM

It's only 58 miles from yours to Stoneleigh, you could prob get there and back with your tank range mate!

Mr Whippy - 27/4/09 at 11:38 AM

oh when I blew my Falcons fuel gauge (now fixed ) I must have run out of fuel at least 10 times what a nightmare it was

BenB - 27/4/09 at 11:43 AM

I'd be tempted to take a 20L Jerry can in the passenger seat

Either that or stop frequently at service stations for a shoofty!!

Steve Hignett - 27/4/09 at 11:50 AM

I've got a 20l can you can borrow Paul, just fill that and the car up before you go and you won't need to fill up for either journey!

smart51 - 27/4/09 at 11:50 AM

I know that I should get 184 miles out of my tank at 30 MPG. On the road it can be anywhere between 28 and 35 MPG so I usually stop to fill up a little early to be sure.

If your light is coming on after 60 miles, you either need to adjust your fuel level sender or put a resistor in series so that the warning light comes on at the correct point.

I did run out once, after 190 miles. Luckily about 30 metres from a petrol station. What are the chances of that?

hughpinder - 27/4/09 at 11:53 AM

take something with you to dip the tank next time you fill- you will then see if the warning light comes on with the tank xxx% full, and then do a calc to work out how many miles are left in it! (assuming its a regular shaped rectangular tank).

Regards
Hugh

A1 - 27/4/09 at 12:23 PM

ive got a standard mk tank with 03 r1 pump, when my light comes on its about 5.5L left.
last weekend i was getting 20 mpg

paulmw - 27/4/09 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I've got a 20l can you can borrow Paul, just fill that and the car up before you go and you won't need to fill up for either journey!

I would have to sacrifice bringing the beer for that !!!

welderman - 27/4/09 at 03:39 PM

Paul what day you going, if i put a seperate outlet from my tank then you can fill up off my car, 47 ltrs goes a long way, still all depends on me getting a plate tomorrow.