Board logo

MK Stealth?
40inches - 19/3/13 at 01:28 PM

MK Stealth When did that happen?
I must have been asleep! Anyone got one?

adithorp - 19/3/13 at 01:40 PM

It was at Donington show last year.

edsco - 19/3/13 at 03:08 PM

Its called Stealth for a reason!! lol

Its MKs offering for RGB 2013. I believe Danny will be show casing it on the track at Donny this weekend. MK did actually put out a prototype out last year at Mallory at the last race of the season in RGB (i know as i was following it!). I think the car has been tweeked since to make it more competitive.

[Edited on 19/3/13 by edsco]

ceebmoj - 19/3/13 at 05:01 PM

Does any one have any other pictures of the HSR? I think that looks nice as well.

blowden86 - 19/3/13 at 09:17 PM

Stealth is a beast, move over Radical! Will be interesting to see how Danny gets on this year.

Plenty of HSR photo's on the website: http://www.mksportscars.com/hsr-gallery.html

ceebmoj - 19/3/13 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blowden86
Plenty of HSR photo's on the website: http://www.mksportscars.com/hsr-gallery.html

I was wondering if they had got the shut line any better, and how the body was mounted? Do you now how many have been sold/built? are there any build diary's?

yellowcab - 19/3/13 at 09:25 PM

I'll be there doing the photography for Danny @ MK of his Stealth, and for Andy Bates @ AB of this Sabre G2...

Can't wait to see and hear them!

blowden86 - 19/3/13 at 09:25 PM

Not too sure to be honest. Don't think numbers are high but you're best off speaking to Danny at MK directly on that one!

scootz - 19/3/13 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Stealth is a beast, move over Radical! Will be interesting to see how Danny gets on this year.

LOL... I bet it has Radical shitting a brick!

blowden86 - 19/3/13 at 09:36 PM

Indeed! £35/40K for an entry level Radical or £20K for a turnkey from MK, hmm. I know what I'd go for!

daniel mason - 19/3/13 at 09:41 PM

me too. an AB SABRE!!

scootz - 19/3/13 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Indeed! £35/40K for an entry level Radical or £20K for a turnkey from MK, hmm. I know what I'd go for!

Depends if you want a professionally developed racing car backed up by a professional customer service... or just something that (kind-of) looks fast and is backed up with a raggedy-arsed customer service!

Personally, I would skip both and buy an AB Performance Sabre. It's professionally developed, Andy is helpful above-and-beyond the call of duty, and the car is reasonably priced.

eddie99 - 19/3/13 at 09:51 PM

I'd wait till the MK beats a radical before making any negative comments on the Radical TBH.

SCAR - 20/3/13 at 04:22 PM

As far as I know the only RGB car to take on the Radicals in 2012 (and beat them all in a bikesports race) was Tim Gray's Spire GT3 at Anglesea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cLf6KM595 lI
RGB Class R will be incredibly tough in 2013. The current cars are far too well developed to expect success year 1, the Stealth will be doing really well if it gets a top three all year.
Nice to see another make out in rgb R, fingers crossed the weather improves for Donington on Saturday

[Edited on 20/3/13 by SCAR]

adithorp - 20/3/13 at 04:44 PM

If the predicted snow arrives class R will probably be won by a Blitz buggy!

edsco - 20/3/13 at 04:50 PM

Think i would second that! In fact, if the snow does arrive, i think they would have to cancel. Depends how heavy though of course. Normal wet conditions......fine. Laying snow.....hmmmmm. Just glad i have chosen to sit this weekends race out and spectate instead ;-)

SCAR - 20/3/13 at 05:19 PM

Donington forecast is snow and freezing temperatures all day Friday and Saturday

blowden86 - 20/3/13 at 09:39 PM

I'm not saying anything negative about Radical, those boys set the lap record around the Nurburgring for a reason! Merely stating that as a locost option, which is why we're here in the first place, the Stealth is a new offering to the market that is of course a much more affordable alternative to the less affluent type like myself.

Danny's racing with a GSXR1000 this year so I can't see him taking on any Radicals just yet! Looking forward to getting to a race though to see how it performs and competes against the rest in the class.

sdh2903 - 20/3/13 at 11:06 PM

I'm sorry but with MK's history of appalling customer service I wouldn't be spending 2k let alone 20k with them even if they win every race until they buck their ideas up.

lewis - 21/3/13 at 12:19 AM

Well that did not take long to turn into a 'slate MK thread' ! This thread is about there stealth car nothing to do with customer service issues

scootz - 21/3/13 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Well that did not take long to turn into a 'slate MK thread' ! This thread is about there stealth car nothing to do with customer service issues

This is a chat-forum... conversations develop!

The talk turned to the purchase of a Stealth... MK's customer service therefore became fair game!

sdh2903 - 21/3/13 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lewis

So you think it's acceptable the way they treat their customers, and are happy to accept that because they're releasing a shiny new model??

I think in a small industry such as this reputation and service is everything, people building cars will need help and additional parts, Mk seem to struggle with this part. I like their products but I feel the money invested in the Stealth would have been better spent on sorting out the structure of the way they do business.

SCAR - 21/3/13 at 09:12 AM

Not seen the stealth in the flesh yet but the photos look good, anybody else recognise the bodywork yet?

slingshot2000 - 21/3/13 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SCAR
anybody else recognise the bodywork yet?

Are you implying that they may have copied somebody else's work ???

matt_gsxr - 21/3/13 at 11:07 AM

Just a quick question that I haven't understood.

If it is in RGB isn't that "road going bike engined".
To be road going it would have to be capable of passing IVA.

The front lights look lower than the required 500mm? This isn't the only competing car that looks to have this issue.
Can anyone explain for me?

Lightning - 21/3/13 at 11:15 AM

Who won almost every race last year?..................Spire

gavin174 - 21/3/13 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

The front lights look lower than the required 500mm? This isn't the only competing car that looks to have this issue.

I believe there are only a few RGB cars that are road legal

Dan has a fury and Bob has a BDN S3 that are legal

there may well be others..

the car is suppossed to capable of passing a mot, but this is very loosely interpreted...

taken from the 750mc website..

"Created in 2001, the RGB Championship (Roadgoing bike-engined cars) is for two-seater cars to roadgoing spec and capable of passing an MoT on the day of the event. The cars can be ‘one-off’, converted sports or Sports Specials or one of the many bike-engined Sports Specials"

[Edited on 21/3/13 by gavin174]

jeffw - 21/3/13 at 11:44 AM

quote:

Because RGB has lost its way? It used to be for kit cars that where road-legal with bike engines but know we see more and more race cars being developed (Sabre, Stealth, BDN etc etc) which don't have a road-going equivalent. There just seems to be hoards of mid-engined race cars which really should be in Bike Sports but couldn't hope to compete with the Radicals of this world.

Front Bike Engined kit car series anyone ? We could call is FBEKC for short.

I appreciate there are road-going Spires and the BDN has been through IVA but the march of the mid-engine car has ruined the series.

[Edited on 21/3/13 by jeffw]

scootz - 21/3/13 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:

TimC - 21/3/13 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Because RGB has lost its way? It used to be for kit cars that where road-legal with bike engines but know we see more and more race cars being developed (Sabre, Stealth, BDN etc etc) which don't have a road-going equivalent. There just seems to be hoards of mid-engined race cars which really should be in Bike Sports but couldn't hope to compete with the Radicals of this world.

I appreciate there are road-going Spires and the BDN has been through IVA but the march of the mid-engine car has ruined the series.

To be honest, the numbers tell a different story. The grids are set to be bigger this year than in any year since I started following the series in 2006.

To a certain extent I also feel sad that the formula has moved-upwards in terms of the technology and costs involved but I appreciate that the appeal of the Championship is greater than ever for those with the interest and the means.

It's not like Class F is dead - there's still a good number of cars out there - plus three new Class F cars due to make an appearance this year (I can only claim to have owned two of them )

The Championship is very healthy. It might not look quite as you and I would like it to but 'you pays your money... etc.'

Edit to add that I wouldn't be at all surprised if this year's overall Champ is in a front-engined car. It'll be enormously difficult to dominate Class R. If someone can stand out in Class F, I think they'll have a great chance.

[Edited on 21/3/13 by TimC]

whitestu - 21/3/13 at 12:44 PM

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean like everyone has copied the Lotus 7?

maccmike - 21/3/13 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Depends if you want a professionally developed racing car backed up by a professional customer service... or just something that (kind-of) looks fast and is backed up with a raggedy-arsed customer service!

Personally, I would skip both and buy an AB Performance Sabre. It's professionally developed, Andy is helpful above-and-beyond the call of duty, and the car is reasonably priced.

+++++++++

SCAR - 21/3/13 at 01:34 PM

Just saying I hope that building one wouldnt cause a kit car crisis! I am sure it wouldn't and I think the new car will be a great addition to the grid.
As previously posted Tim Gray didnt only compete against the Radicals he beat them all (the cars first time out in Bikesports) at Anglesey in an RGB car with slicks added and no aero.
And the GT3 didnt just win most RGB races in 2012 it won all 14 out of 14 with 14 fastest laps. Being the gents they are (Paul and Tim) they have decided to enter a GT3 in Bikesports for the 2013 season rather than try and repeat their incredible achievements of 2012.
As soon as the weather improves its going to be a great year in RGB and Bikesports, unfortunately if it snows the results for the first race of the season could end up being be a bit of a lottery.

scootz - 21/3/13 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Just saying I hope that building one wouldnt cause a kit car crisis!

marc n - 22/3/13 at 11:30 PM

Well having read the thread so far..... mk like ourselves And ab make a lmp style car that can be road legal for the same price as advertised as the one that can race.However it appears that certain manufacturers can not do this !!! Scar your car shares race winning dna it came out if the same shop but trust me its not the same :-( by a long shot :-(

SCAR - 23/3/13 at 07:19 AM

Having played host in our workshop to both the racing versions of the gt3 and the earlier gtr we are well aware of the differences between the road versions and the RGB entered cars. Since our students would not be allowed to race it would be foolish (and too expensive) to use all the race parts. Race brakes and rose jointed, race efficient suspension do not make for a good road car, race tracks tend to have far fewer speed bumps and pot holes.
I think the RGB rules require "capable of passing an MOT test" but I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 cars on the grid that would pass an mot without at least some small adjustment or modification. As far as I know non of the other front runners in RGB (class R) have a road going version (unaltered) of their race cars and having looked carefully at a gt3 a road version, whilst possible would probably be far too race focused to be "practical"
Gutted about Donny we were really looking forward to seeing the new cars in action.

[Edited on 23/3/13 by SCAR]

[Edited on 23/3/13 by SCAR]

Ian-B - 29/3/13 at 06:39 PM

I can shed some light on the above issues, having run cars in both RGB and Bikesports. Firstly almost any of the mid to front running RGB cars could easily be competitive in Bikesports, as has been proven by both the Spire and BDN winning in Bikesports on their debut meetings (both occasions were well supported by Radicals and the like), the big difference is cost, for example to be competitive in Bikesports you really need to budget £600+ for a set of slicks at each meeting, in RGB you can be competitive spending little more than this a season on tyres.
Second I do not think that RGB has lost its way, since its start RGB has always advertised itself as being for one-offs as well as kits, only someone very naïve could not foresee that people producing one offs would design them to be as fast as possible within the rules, which is exactly what has happened and is very core part of the 750mc, amateurs and small teams designing and building race cars. Obviously in the beginning it was mainly kits, but that is simply because that was all that was available, it takes time to design and build cars.
With regard to the 500mm headlamp height, the rules do not specifically require this, as only being able to pass an MOT is required, however a number of cars do meet the 500mm requirement even at race ride height.

Regards

Ian

DRC INDY 7 - 2/4/13 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Who won almost every race last year?..................Spire

And to also add to this who designed and builds the current spire ...........................

Thats right i hear you all say Martin keenan aka MK Engineering the founder of the mk indy

austin man - 2/4/13 at 10:48 PM

The Stealth is a new Car from MK the Body work has been remodeled, it will take a season to get the balance right and make the tweaks needed as MK did with the Indy R ( a race car which nhas proven its pedigree)

SCAR - 3/4/13 at 08:08 AM

quote:
DRC INDY 7
And to also add to this who designed and builds the current spire ...........................

You have stated on a public forum that Martin Keenan builds the current Spire. Why would you do that?
I have stood in the Spire workshops watching the current cars being built to a very high standard with a massive commitment in time and effort by Tim and Paul.
I have watched the chassis being welded up on the jigs and followed the assembly process from ali panels to engine start up, I know Martin worked with Paul on the design (he is a talented engineer) and has in the past made wishbones for Paul but please let us know what supports your statement regarding "builds the current spire" or did you make it up?

[Edited on 3/4/13 by SCAR]

DRC INDY 7 - 3/4/13 at 08:26 AM

The current round tube chassis,when first developed by martin was built in house, as well as future ones
but that was last year and may have now passed on prodution of the chassis to spire

Maybe i should have stated build the chassis for spire

[Edited on 4/3/2013 by DRC INDY 7]

DRC INDY 7 - 3/4/13 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Just saying I hope that building one wouldnt cause a kit car crisis! I am sure it wouldn't and I think the new car will be a great addition to the grid.
As previously posted Tim Gray didnt only compete against the Radicals he beat them all (the cars first time out in Bikesports) at Anglesey in an RGB car with slicks added and no aero.
And the GT3 didnt just win most RGB races in 2012 it won all 14 out of 14 with 14 fastest laps. Being the gents they are (Paul and Tim) they have decided to enter a GT3 in Bikesports for the 2013 season rather than try and repeat their incredible achievements of 2012.
As soon as the weather improves its going to be a great year in RGB and Bikesports, unfortunately if it snows the results for the first race of the season could end up being be a bit of a lottery.

If you would like to know more about this car, the mk stealth, then give danny a call rather than speculate on here about it when you havent a clue

[Edited on 4/3/2013 by DRC INDY 7]

SCAR - 3/4/13 at 09:00 AM

The current round tube chassis,when first developed by martin was built in house,...quite probable as Martin worked on the design
as well as future ones ..what?
but that was last year ..what?
and may have now passed on prodution of the chassis to spire
but you previously stated builds the current Spire
This is gibberish nonsense
For the record I have no problem with MK and wish Danny all the best and look forward to seeing the Stealth. It will be a welcome addition to the grid. The bodywork (modified) is based on the TS400, I think it looks great, if it works well we may decide to build one.
However if you post rubbish someone is bound to question it, please re-read what you have written

DRC INDY 7 - 3/4/13 at 09:14 AM

quote:
The current round tube chassis,when first developed by martin was built in house,...quite probable as Martin worked on the design
as well as future ones ..what?
but that was last year ..what?
and may have now passed on prodution of the chassis to spire
but you previously stated builds the current Spire
This is gibberish nonsense
For the record I have no problem with MK and wish Danny all the best and look forward to seeing the Stealth. It will be a welcome addition to the grid. The bodywork (modified) is based on the TS400, I think it looks great, if it works well we may decide to build one.
However if you
post rubbish someone is bound to question it, please re-read what you have written

Ok then mr scar i know nothing and your knowledge is superior to mine

SCAR - 3/4/13 at 09:23 AM

I have no way of knowing if that is true but have no problem with the accuracy of your post
(This is meant to make you laugh)
all the best
Steve

edsco - 3/4/13 at 04:25 PM

Play nicely boys! ;-)
All you need to know is.....I need a beer after reading all that.

PAUL FISHER - 3/4/13 at 05:59 PM

Here we go, Danny out testing the new car a few days ago, looking good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Mdqhreb2I

CRAIGR - 3/4/13 at 06:52 PM

Looks pretty good and quite planted.

Hope the police can't read his speedo though.

SCAR - 3/4/13 at 07:09 PM

Thanks for posting the video, the car looked good, I cant wait to see it in action and its nice to see an RGB car on the road.

DRC INDY 7 - 3/4/13 at 08:32 PM

Roll on brands hatch at the end of the month for the 750 weekend