Board logo

Another one bites the dust.
Jon Ison - 2/9/05 at 06:27 PM

We can rebuild them......

Was on a drive out, almost home then well !!!! dunno really, accelerating hard just about too go from 4th too 5th, car snapped too left, hit verge, flipped 3 times, scraped over hedge upside down, landed on its side in field and came too rest in a sorry state.

Not 100% sure but think either drive shaft or shocker broke, whatever it went in an instant.

Damage, chassis looks ok, steering rack broke in half, all four front wishbones gone, 3 of the four rear ones gone, bodywork history,

Got out pretty much unscathed, considering the speed and going thru an hedge upside down i think a sore back and couple of nicks on forehead are ok, a guy coming other way was gob smacked, he peered over hedge expecting the worse too find me jumping out and pulling the kill switch.

I must say a big thank you too all at MK, this was a hard one, much harder than the one at Cadwell, I walked away, top chassis.

We can re-build her. Rescued attachment smash4.JPG
Rescued attachment smash4.JPG

another Rescued attachment smash2.JPG
Rescued attachment smash2.JPG

another Rescued attachment smash3.JPG
Rescued attachment smash3.JPG

Jon Ison - 2/9/05 at 06:30 PM

last one Rescued attachment smash1.JPG
Rescued attachment smash1.JPG

Dillinger1977 - 2/9/05 at 06:30 PM

blimey that looks nasty, hope your doing okay!

Deckman001 - 2/9/05 at 06:31 PM

Sad news mate !!

Jason

JoelP - 2/9/05 at 06:37 PM

ah bugger

at least you're well yourself.

Jon Ison - 2/9/05 at 06:38 PM

out of focus, this one shows the height of the edge and the near side pretty much damage free, was some flight. Rescued attachment smash01.JPG
Rescued attachment smash01.JPG

mad-butcher - 2/9/05 at 06:42 PM

glad you're OK

ASH3 - 2/9/05 at 06:43 PM

That hurts me really hurts

"Luved that car"

Jons not bad either! good to know you ok chap..

theconrodkid - 2/9/05 at 06:49 PM

fook glad your ok Jon.

Triton - 2/9/05 at 06:52 PM

Steering rack broke in half the reason for low flying then do you think?

Hellfire - 2/9/05 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Steering rack broke in half the reason for low flying then do you think?

Glad your ok Jon - will you be at MK tomoz?

Is this the confirmed cause?

[Edited on 2-9-05 by Hellfire]

scutter - 2/9/05 at 07:15 PM

S**T, glad your ok John, easier to replace the car.

Time for a quick rest, then on with the isonblade Mk2.

ATB Dan.

Peteff - 2/9/05 at 07:16 PM

How far from home were you? It looks familiar. Good that you're o.k. can you get the bits for the car or is it a make them fit order for MK?

Jon Ison - 2/9/05 at 07:24 PM

thanks for the msg's guys, thanks for the U2U Chris, gonna take that route.

Another look around the car as led me to what i'm 99% sure was the cause, the left rear hit nothing, nothing damaged on that side at rear, i thought a wish bone was but there ok, even the fibre glass is ok, then i found this........

The middle as pulled thru/ come out of a rose joint, instant "rear wheel steer" ??

Boys, check your bush's, Chris its in the position i was talking too you about, remember the conversation ??? anyone who does trackdays PLEASE check your left side rear bush's/joints, they are the ones that take all the hammer.

chrisg - 2/9/05 at 07:50 PM

Thank god you walked away Jon, looks like a brown trousers moment.

I'm just thinking back to the time I went out with you in the car with no seat or harrness in it.

There wouldn't have been much left of me if that had happened then.

looks like we can start that glassfibre work a bit earlier mate.

Give us a ring if you need anything

Cheers

Chris

Danozeman - 2/9/05 at 07:51 PM

foookin hell mate. Glad your ok mate. looks a nasty one!!

scotlad - 2/9/05 at 07:52 PM

Blimey glad you're ok!!

alister667 - 2/9/05 at 08:05 PM

John,
Very sorry to hear about this. I'm glad you're OK at least.

All the best

Ali

Fozzie - 2/9/05 at 08:20 PM

...ooooh, mate, that was bad, so glad that you are in one piece, and no doubt you will be sorer tomorrow
As I read your first post, our first thoughts were, steering rack, then saw the rose joint.., Can't honestly say in all of the years of racing, have ever seen one do that!...
Anyway, so very, very glad you are in one piece, and as you rightly say, cars can be fixed/rebuilt......
ATB Fozzie

Wadders - 2/9/05 at 08:28 PM

Bad luck M8 glad you survived to tell the tale.
Out of interest were the rod ends expensive high spec jobbies?

welderman - 2/9/05 at 08:37 PM

Never got to see the car in the flesh, sorry to hear its messed up. By the way were you wearing a helmet at the time. Or were you VERY lucky.

OX - 2/9/05 at 08:47 PM

glad your ok m8,sounded like a nasty one

Andy W - 2/9/05 at 08:55 PM

Glad to hear you're ok. From the pictures it looks like the car has stood up well. Most definately could have a been alot worse.

Triton - 2/9/05 at 08:57 PM

Jon,
Did you have a large washer same size as bearing?....This can help stop it falling apart...won't stop it breaking though.
Unless it was in place of plybush type in a "U"bracket that is?

Either way i think you is one lucky bloke....3 people killed near Milton Keynes in a convertible recently!!! upside down not nice.

mangogrooveworkshop - 2/9/05 at 09:16 PM

Sorry to see that car in a sad state...... Still its better to live to tell the tale.
Been there twice.

shortie - 2/9/05 at 09:47 PM

I am gutted Jon, lovely car and just when you were back doing some races, very glad you are OK.

Rich.

James - 3/9/05 at 12:12 AM

Christ, that looks nasty.

So glad you're ok Jon.

Sorry to hear about the car. Saw it in action last year at Donny, very much hope it'll rise again!

All the best,
James

ned - 3/9/05 at 12:22 AM

ditto everyone elses comments, looks nasty, but glad you are ok, the car can be fixed. probably time for some upgrades anyway?

Ned.

Jon Ison - 3/9/05 at 12:31 AM

Evenin guys, feeling a bit sore now so downstairs for a while,

The joint, quality type as fitted too many a race car.

Washer no, but held in a "U" bracket, it wasn't till i tugged on it I could feel/see the problem, 99.9% sure this was the problem as its the only corner of the car with zero damage and impacted on nothing, i dont think it was damaged during the incident. I also gave all four corners the same "tug" that revealed the dodgy joint before i went out so it was defo ok before i left.

Helmet, no, think about it guys, i was very lucky on that one.

Looking back now if it wasn't for race spec cage, bloody good harness and a well fitted seat I'm pretty sure i wouldn't be typing this, Ive had my fair share of offs, this was by far the hardest, from start too finish it covers 200yds, i went thru a hedge upside down, missed a telegraph pole, it dont bare thinking about.

Look after yourselves, I can assure you in the short time it was happening i knew how vulnerable i was and had more than enough time too think, "this is gonna hurt" the look on the guys face i mentioned above if i can laugh was priceless, honest he really did think he was gonna see much worse.

Chris G, if you can glass this back together your in the wrong job, having just watched Christine I could do with her help.

Pete, just round corner from young vanish, finished directley opposite farm inbetween gareden center and bolsover, now do you want the "if only bit"??

was heading towards home from Mansfield, got too young Vanish pub (500yds from home) instead of carring on down hill and home turned off for a couple more miles (well weather was nice) the rest is history, would have been home safe n sound had i gone straight on, and the pre run tug/check would have highlighted the problem before the next run........ If only ??

[Edited on 3/9/05 by Jon Ison]

Simon - 3/9/05 at 12:43 AM

Jon,

As per all other sentiments, glad you're mostly ok.

Before I saw this post I'd been looking at my roll bar thinking it could do with being more substantial, this has convinced me that post SVA, but before general useage it'll be getting some serious beefing up!!

ATB

Simon

Rorty - 3/9/05 at 05:19 AM

Glad to hear you're in one piece Jon. I would like to echo Fozzie's comment; I've never seen a rod end (that was properly rated for the job) let go other than as the result of a shunt.
If you're using anything over a 1/2" known brand race spec rod end, then I'd bet my left bollock (or the right one - you choose) that the rod end came apart during your excursion into the field.
If the rod end was loose, you'd have picked it up during your pre-drive check and if it had mysteriously loosened during the drive, you'd have felt the car shimmying.
I have no explanation why you ended up in the field (I'd have a couple of guesses though ), but I'm sure it wasn't the rod end that put you there.
I hope the combined recovery is quick and thorough.

Andy North - 3/9/05 at 06:40 AM

Sorry to hear about off, but the main thing is that you are okay.

If you need anything let us know.

mookaloid - 3/9/05 at 09:23 AM

Just seen the carnage

Obviously to echo everyone elses comments - bad luck, glad you are ok.

I'm impressed with the way the chassis has held together and provided protection.
I think all builders should look at their roll over protection and ask if their cars would stand up as well if a similar situation.

MSA rules basically say that the top of your head should be below a line drawn from the top of the roll over hoop to the top of the engine in a front engined car or similar solid bit at the front that the car would rest on if upside down.

Sound advice - I'm having some mods done on mine to make this the case with mine!

Good luck with the rebuild

Cheers

Mark

TimC - 3/9/05 at 05:13 PM

Ouch - bad luck! Delighted that you're ok!

Was driving down the M4 at 9000rpm in 6th earlier today and thought "what if something broke?"

Oh f***! Now I'm worried - closer inspection before every drive me thinks!

[Edited on 3/9/05 by TimC]

bob - 3/9/05 at 05:55 PM

Jon,as everyone else has said glad your ok.

Just got back from my hols and seen the post and pics,i think you are now officially the GT1 crash text expert by a long long way.

hearnia - 3/9/05 at 06:27 PM

Apart from the damage to the car, you are one lucky man I would say.

Such a shame to see crashes but when its in a car you've spent time building, it makes it a little different.

Anyway good luck with the next project.

Peteff - 3/9/05 at 07:04 PM

I went for a look this afternoon. It'll fix with some new bits and a lot of gaffer tape The farmer should charge him rent for the field he brought home with it .

Jon Ison - 3/9/05 at 07:15 PM

Been onto Adrian Flux this morning, if it continues in the same vain its gonna bee sorted pretty quickly, they are sending an assessor too to view it in my garage and are talking of making a "payment in lieu"

Keep you all updated, thanks for the msgs, feeling very stiff today apart from that fine, Pete is write though, the bodywork and suspension took a pounding the rest, chassis, diff, wheels ect are fine.

Avoneer - 3/9/05 at 08:09 PM

Sledgehammer

Pat...

mk blade - 4/9/05 at 09:57 AM

Sorry to here about the car jon, but good to here you are OK.

No more racing for a while I take it, what you having in it for next year.

Tony.

chrisg - 4/9/05 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

Chris G, if you can glass this back together your in the wrong job, having just watched Christine I could do with her help.

[Edited on 3/9/05 by Jon Ison]

That'll t- cut out, no bother mate

What's the plan Jon, no more GT1's being made are you looking for a second hand one or are you going to build something else?

Cheers

Chris

SteveO - 5/9/05 at 08:43 AM

Jon, like what all the guys have said glad you are ok.

donut - 5/9/05 at 10:15 AM

Strewth, you're one lucky chap!! Glad you are ok.

Think i'll put a 1098cc MG Midget engine in my car

woodster - 5/9/05 at 12:00 PM

only just read this thread ........... Glad your o.k Jon sorry about the car

marktigere1 - 5/9/05 at 01:06 PM

Ditto all the above.

Glad your okay.

Cheers

Mark

David Jenkins - 5/9/05 at 01:27 PM

Only a few days ago I was thinking that no forum member has had a serious "off" this year (last year was really bad). You've spoiled it, Jon!

Really glad you're still fit and well after that immense crash.

David

evo3500 - 6/9/05 at 07:07 PM

Jon What can I say.Seems only five minutes since i saw you at Harrogate 2 gt1 on the same day,mine and yours a rare sight.
Im glad youre ok one thing is for sure mk build a strong chassis when my mk indy hit a tree at over fifty side ways on at le mans a few years ago,it held together.my friend was having a go in it and he walked away just a bruised foot but it bent the car in half ask the woodster he has some pics.
If your rebuilding and need any measurements etc or want to come over youre welcome as car is coming off road soon for paint so body will be off.

Good luck Simon

ChrisGamlin - 6/9/05 at 08:32 PM

Ive only just seen this post for the first time tonight, bloody hell! Glad you're OK Jon.