Board logo

Has anyone finished chassis yet
Billywhizz - 20/10/02 at 08:37 PM

Hi Im new to this site, just started building tiger chassis as per Jims book and wondered how anyone is getting on with the build, any useful advice?

JoaoCaldeira - 22/10/02 at 08:49 AM

Nope.

Currently analyzing the Chassis.

Davide Mora put a problem in the TigerRacing Yahoo! Group that nobody could answear about the front suspension base tubes [310-1000 (should be parallel with floor) and 0-400 (should have some inclination), but they are welded with a suspension bracket over them ]

Joao Caldeira

davimora - 22/10/02 at 10:05 AM

Hi,

still working on this problem, now i'm trying to contact some Avon builder, for get some pictures of the "real thing".
At the moment i'm a bit depressed, there are many other problems...

I noticed Tiger have removed the DIY chassis option from the price list...

Davide

JoaoCaldeira - 22/10/02 at 11:53 AM

Hi Davide.

Did you see the msg I put in the Tiger Group?

What do you mean by "DIY chassis option from the price list"??

Joćo Caldeira

davimora - 22/10/02 at 01:02 PM

Hi,

just saw your post.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tigerracing/message/43135

Well, i agree with you. I tried to send an email to Jim some weeks ago, was about another topic but i got a very poor answer.

This is also the reason why i've not bought a Tiger kit.
The longest reply i got was 2 lines.

Anyway, instead of explain him the problem with words.. i'm not so sure i can explain well.
I was thinking about make an hardcopy from the CAD showing the problem, and send him the link.
I'll publish on my website before send to him.

Davide

davimora - 22/10/02 at 02:09 PM

Sorry, i forgot. About "DIY chassis option from the price list".

I'm 99% sure there was also the "DIY chassis" option the last time i took a look to the price list.
Was the set of pre-cutted tubes for build your chassis. Maybe i'm blind... but i cannot find it anymore.

Davide

JoaoCaldeira - 22/10/02 at 03:04 PM

About Jim.

I've writed him once, and he replyed mr very quickly with the info I need. A few messages were changed. I think that he might receive a few hundreds of mails, hence the need of short replys

If I believe that I can, I'll build my chassis and buy the rest of the Avon kit.

About the way you've explained, it was clear to me, but I'm not english, too

Joćo Caldeira

davimora - 22/10/02 at 03:10 PM

>> If I believe that I can, I'll build my chassis and buy the rest of the Avon kit.

if it's so, my suggestion is buy also the chassis... and send me a lot of pictures!

no kidding, if you plan to buy the other parts from tiger, the 380£ chassis will cost you less than the buy the tubes, the welder.. and the other things, and you will have the "real thing".

Davide

eenud - 22/10/02 at 06:44 PM

I have just about decided to build the chassis rather than buy. Now you have me worried, I have spent the last few days looking and thinking and had not noticed this.

Has anyone worked out what the minimum amount of metal you need to purchase would be and what that would cost? I am just starting the calculations, and listing each tube. Has anyone already done this?

Billywhizz - 22/10/02 at 06:49 PM

Hi
Ive now got all the chassis and wishbones tacked up, didn't have any problems with the base tubes unless Ive missed something, had a few other problems with some of the dimensions for the upper chassis being wrong in the book, spoke to Jim about it at donnington but he was no use at all and said he didn't even do the drawings himself and that tiger had not had the time to try and produce a chassis to the book drawings, a jig built chassis was measured very badly to produce the drawings

Billywhizz - 22/10/02 at 07:01 PM

I have used 8 6.1 mth lengths of 1" rhs to build the chassis and have managed to find offcuts for the rest. got the laser cut parts ordered through work they were a lot lot cheaper than what tiger wanted to charge me for them

eenud - 22/10/02 at 07:05 PM

You don't have a note of the corections, you needed to make do you.

Ian

Billywhizz - 22/10/02 at 07:32 PM

I had problems with the chassis top rail but i see this has already been corrected although I think the top rail measurement in drawing 6.3b which was 1505 in the book then changed to 1520 should be 1535mm well thats what i had to make mine. Also the headlamp support bracket in drawing 6.3b is made from 5mm plate in drawing 6.6c it is made from 8mm plate I asked about this and was told 8mm is now used to stop the lights flapping around. The only other problems I had were that the pictures of the completed chassis in the book, were not made to the drawings in the book so when comparing the drawings for the rear of the car and the tunnel to the pictures it gets confusing.

hope this makes some sense

davimora - 23/10/02 at 07:28 AM

Hi,

maybe you can help, maybe i've missed something from the book.

Take a look to this drawing:

http://www.argosystems.it/as-connector/prob.jpg

what i got from the book's drawings, the part D have an inclination, while A and C are at the same level.
If it's so i dont understand, a) why in the drawings there is no D part, cutted? i dont think. b) if you have to weld the suspensions brackets half on the plain tube (A) and half on the inclined tube (B).

if you have a cutlist or pictures.. is welcome!

regards,
Davide

davimora - 23/10/02 at 01:47 PM

I'm interested on cooperate for make a cut list. I'm making a cad file for the chassis.
Davide

eenud - 23/10/02 at 06:44 PM

Davide,

I am starting by labeling each tube, giving them as near as practical the labels of the "R.Champion" book ( i.e.A1,A2 etc.). This may be a bit long winded, but then I can then adapt the spreadsheets on the Mcsorley web site. If anyone has already done this, please stop me now. If not I will e-mail to anyone willing to check before the hacksaw comes out!

Regards

Ian

Billywhizz - 23/10/02 at 07:02 PM

Davimora

the way I did the front was to leave tubes A and C flat and tilt tube B(400 mm) up to give a height of 30mm from floor to bottom of front tube, this seems to be o.k the supension bracket sits mostly on tube B with a small gap to weld on tube A .hope this helps I will try to sort some pictures out soon. Sorry no cutting list was going to make one but got carrid away and cut them as I needed them

davimora - 24/10/02 at 06:52 AM

Hi All,

Billywhizz, thanks for your explanation. I hope i'll get a picture of the Tiger made chassis today. I'll publish it in my web site.

eenud, if you already gave the names to the tubes.. please send me the excel file, so i can use the same names in the cad files (d.mora@argosystems.it)
If not, i can start using the Ron Champion's "style" and we can fix the differences later.

Davide

eenud - 25/10/02 at 06:58 PM

Davide,

I have labeled them all on paper and am about 2/3 through putting the sizes onto XL. I should finnish tonight with luck and will e-mail, as soon as done. This will be the first draft so please point out any of the fault you find.

Cheers

Ian.

gjn200 - 25/10/02 at 08:05 PM

As I *think* I'm the only person here to have ordered a chassis, I will post up plenty of pics for you all to peruse if it turns up on time in a month

Graham

Ps promise you wont laugh at the trolly thing I'm making.

Viper - 25/10/02 at 09:09 PM

Just a quick intro, i am a welder fabricator by trade and have built a couple of R Champions chassis for friends in the past, and when it came to building something for myself i realy couldnt be bothered so i bought one from Tiger, unless you have a fairly decent mig plant and a bit of experiance with welding and plenty of paitence i would recomend buying one and save yourself a lot of hair pulling...

eenud - 25/10/02 at 11:45 PM

I would tend to agreed with you, but when I phoned about a chassis, delivery would be mid to end of Jan. I am impatient and am planning to build one, whilst still concidering the options. It keeps me of the streets!

Ian

Viper - 26/10/02 at 11:28 PM

Mid to end of jan? that gives you about 3 months to locate and overhaul your donor parts believe me the time will fly by

eenud - 27/10/02 at 10:26 PM

Viper,

How's the build going then, and what mechanicals are you using? From a welders point of view, how well made is the chassis?

Ian

Viper - 27/10/02 at 10:43 PM

The chassis is ok, the welding is not overly pretty but is well penetrated, i bought the chassis in bare metal so i could check.though no doubt i will change a few bits here and there.
at the moment i am still reconditioning bits i decided that all the bearings, seals, etc would be new as i havent a clue of there history, the mechs are cosie shafts cv joints, xr4x4 diff(slipper) and hub carriers sierra rear callipers on solid 4x4 discs AP fourpots (magnesium) on the front with Tarox vented 2.8i capri discs, spent about £1250. at the moment had planned to spend about £4000. but we will see, I think the chassis was worth the money, it is put together a lot better than some i have seen, a couple i have looked at the weld had actualy missed the joint completley. I can understand why people build there own chassis but i do it all day long and didn't want to do it when i came home. which ever route you take best of luck and the main thing is enjoy it its supposed to be a hobby.

gjn200 - 28/10/02 at 11:44 AM

How are you going to get the drive shafts to fit? The ones that fit the LSD are lobro and to big for the carrier acording to tiger?????????

Graham

Viper - 28/10/02 at 05:34 PM

I made my own uprights...

Billywhizz - 28/10/02 at 08:23 PM

Hi
Has anyone elese had the special offer pricelist through the post from tiger?
Chassis 325+vat bodywork 340+vat if ordered before end of november then goes up to 410+vat for chassis, 380+vat for bodywork

gjn200 - 29/10/02 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Viper
I made my own uprights...

Wanna make some more?

Viper - 29/10/02 at 09:03 PM

the uprights i made are not quite the same as the book because i am using a rose joint in the top wishbones so i can sdjust rear toe in without overloading the lower wishbone, and i am using discs so the mounting plate is different. Rescued attachment PA280006.JPG
Rescued attachment PA280006.JPG

gjn200 - 30/10/02 at 01:24 PM

Look good, nice tig, but the jurys still out on the S/steel, I get lots of problems with it cracking at work (food ind). do you think the standard ones could be modded to fit lobro shafts easy?

Graham

Viper - 30/10/02 at 08:11 PM

Stainless?? whereabouts?
I havent got the book to hand so i am not sure of the wall thickness of the tube they use if memory serves you will need an I/D of 83mm.

gjn200 - 31/10/02 at 05:40 PM

Looks like it to me, maybe my screens dying.........