Board logo

Tiger Avon Fibreglass Frustration
cooperbloke67 - 23/9/19 at 08:08 PM

I'm almost there with my Tiger Avon rebuild - just a few final items to cross off the list - one of which is rivetting the body tub to the chassis. It fits quite well around the rear and as far forward as the scuttle, but I can't seem to get it to fit along the top of the chassis where the bonnet rests. With the chassis secured along the underside, there's a good 1/4" gap where the scuttle / bulkhead meets the chassis and aluminium panelling at the top.

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm considering replacing the body sides with folded aluminium sheet - just like a 'proper' Locost! Convince me not to!

[img][/img]

40inches - 23/9/19 at 10:17 PM

This is normal on most makes, same on my MK.
You fit it on the top rail and pack out the gap under the bottom rail
This was 8mm on the MK.

cooperbloke67 - 23/9/19 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for the reply 40. That makes perfect sense.

However... No matter what I tried I could not get the body tub to go any lower.
Now I can see it will impact on my bonnet and nosecone position.

I wonder if it’s worth looking at replacing the fibreglass engine compartment sides with folded aluminium? Keep the rear end, passenger compartment and scuttle in fibreglass and fab the rest.

Other than a potentially unsightly join on the side below the scuttle it might allow some flexibility over the one piece tub.

Any suggestions?

neilp1 - 25/9/19 at 11:13 AM

Mine was the same. Bonnet fits but has a gap running along the bottom.

You have the MKll bodywork - the first was even worse. I wouldn't swap the fibre glass for ali though!

cooperbloke67 - 25/9/19 at 02:24 PM

Thanks Neil - not just me then!

I love the way the car looks as it is, so I'd rather make the fibreglass work if I can.
I'm just annoyed the gap is along the top rather than the underside.

neilp1 - 25/9/19 at 06:01 PM

I ran a bead of black tiger seal along the gap

neilp1 - 25/9/19 at 06:03 PM

Are the rear wings bolted to body on your or complete with the body?

cooperbloke67 - 26/9/19 at 12:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by neilp1
Are the rear wings bolted to body on your or complete with the body?

The original body had integral rear wings. This one has separate bolt-on wings.
I don’t regret getting new body work - the original was very tired after years as a track day car.

[Edited on 26/9/19 by cooperbloke67]

nick205 - 26/9/19 at 03:48 PM

Side panels of my MK Indy with a tight fit along the top edge left a 10mm gap on the bottom edge. From the outside of the car you can't see it though so it didn't bother me. I ran a bead of sealant between the GRP and chassis rails for good measure and got on with driving.