Board logo

Banging from rear of car when driving in 6th gear
asl - 24/7/09 at 07:34 PM

As the title guys. When in 6th gear and either with moderate throttle or over about 6000 rpm I get an intermitant banging from the rear of the car.

The noise I think is coming from the diff as it is very similar to the noise it makes when selecting 1st. There is also a slight reduction in power when it bangs.

It drives normally in all other gears and all speeds/rpms.

Can anyone hazard a guess what is causing this and give a clue where to start with fixing it?

Cheers

JUD - 24/7/09 at 07:52 PM

Could be the prop - sounds a bit like what mine was doing, which stopped me coming to Abingdon today . There is a pressed joint (can't remember the proper name of the joint type - it starts with an S I think). Mine is breaking down which is causing play in the prop at the diff end - hence the knock.

Didn't want it letting go on track, so it is back to MK to be re-fettled.

How was Abingdon?

Martin

asl - 24/7/09 at 07:58 PM

Hi martin. Thanks for the quick reply. Abingdon was good. Very lucky with the weather. Had an hour or rain just before lunch and the track with dry after lunch. Great circuit and a good bunch! Hope to see you next time.

Snuggs - 24/7/09 at 08:01 PM

Check your diff mounting bolts.

mackei23b - 24/7/09 at 08:08 PM

I take it the skip is now out the way of the garage then!

quote:
Originally posted by JUD
Could be the prop - sounds a bit like what mine was doing, which stopped me coming to Abingdon today . There is a pressed joint (can't remember the proper name of the joint type - it starts with an S I think). Mine is breaking down which is causing play in the prop at the diff end - hence the knock.

Didn't want it letting go on track, so it is back to MK to be re-fettled.

How was Abingdon?

Martin

JUD - 24/7/09 at 09:05 PM

Yup - skip has gone. Now have space for another car...

asl - 25/7/09 at 06:45 AM

I will check the diff mountings but the thing that has got me thinking as this only happens when in 6th gear and when over 6000rpm or with moderate throttle. Why would this only happen under those circumstances?

Gav - 26/7/09 at 08:00 PM

Also if you have lobro shafts make sure the bolts are nice and tight, mine were lose and made that exact same noise on and even throttle.