Board logo

Hayabusa water pump
Davegtst - 29/12/10 at 07:23 PM

Started fitting the rad today and was wondering how to route the pipes and what to do with the water pump. Is the standard engine driven water pump up to the job or do people fit electric ones?

chunky2772 - 29/12/10 at 08:01 PM

Im running a k8gsxr1000 in my locost and ive just used the water pump on the engine and it works spot on! The boosa and gsxr1000 are the same engine so it should work for your build to. Im running a 450mm vw polo rad and a seprate exspansion bottle. ive just managed to load some pics of how far im on with my car in my archive.

MakeEverything - 29/12/10 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chunky2772
Im running a k8gsxr1000 in my locost and ive just used the water pump on the engine and it works spot on! The boosa and gsxr1000 are the same engine so it should work for your build to. Im running a 450mm vw polo rad and a seprate exspansion bottle. ive just managed to load some pics of how far im on with my car in my archive.

But no pictures of the coolant system?

chunky2772 - 29/12/10 at 10:05 PM

will take some photos tommorow so you can see how ive plumbed it up! (if i can load the pic that is)

Jason Fletcher - 30/12/10 at 12:06 AM

Take a look at the Stewart water pump. IMHO the best on the market.

Theres a pic in my archive and one of the cooling layout too.

Jason

[Edited on 30/12/10 by Jason Fletcher]

cosmick - 30/12/10 at 01:16 AM

The standard water pump is fine and actually very efficient. The reason that people change to an electric pump is that many dry sump systems utilise the hole where the water pump fits for a second oil pump. This makes it necessary to fit an electric pump.
So if you're running the standard oil pump set up, stick with the standard water pump.

cosmick