Board logo

Clutch setup
WAYNE10 - 8/7/11 at 06:21 PM

Hi all
What is the best setup for bec clutch.
Do you use a car m/cylinder or the original bike handle bar unit.
Honda blackbird engine.
Please help as i would like to get over this hurdle to get back a bit of motorvation.
Thanks Wayne.

mistergrumpy - 8/7/11 at 09:25 PM

I've used a Mk.1 Fiesta master cylinder as I found that a Sierra one had too much travel. If you use a bike MC it'll only have 1 outlet won't it? You'll need about 3. 2 for the front and 1 for the rear or 4 if you like.

adithorp - 8/7/11 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I've used a Mk.1 Fiesta master cylinder as I found that a Sierra one had too much travel. If you use a bike MC it'll only have 1 outlet won't it? You'll need about 3. 2 for the front and 1 for the rear or 4 if you like.

Not for the CLUTCH!

I think (where they're hydralic) most have used single outlet cylinder from the likes of wilwood. Some have modified the bike cylinder/lever.

Jon Ison - 8/7/11 at 10:08 PM

One thing to watch on the bird clutch is to much travel, whatever set up you use be sure to fit a pedal stop as you can push the rod to far very easily then its a clutch cover off job to fix it.

LBMEFM - 9/7/11 at 05:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I've used a Mk.1 Fiesta master cylinder as I found that a Sierra one had too much travel. If you use a bike MC it'll only have 1 outlet won't it? You'll need about 3. 2 for the front and 1 for the rear or 4 if you like.have modified the bike cylinder/lever.

Front and rear clutch

Regsmonster - 9/7/11 at 06:36 AM

I used a bike (CBR 600) rear brake master cylinder for our ZZR1100 car's clutch.

BobM - 9/7/11 at 06:51 AM

I got a Toyota Corolla clutch slave off Ebay for £7 to use with my ZX10, works a treat, loads of feel. As others have warned though be careful with the travel.

WAYNE10 - 9/7/11 at 08:19 AM

How do i know how much travel to use (where to set the stop).

mistergrumpy - 9/7/11 at 08:53 AM

Oh my! I blame it on an 8 hour drive from Southampton, sat in in queuing traffic on the M42, M40 and M6 and then reading through a weeks worth of posts. Sorry for any confusion

alowry - 21/7/11 at 08:23 AM

I've a blackbird engine mini, I used the smallest master cylinder that AP supply, think it was .675 but I can check that for you. They're normally special order but I know Zcars keep them in stock. As for pedal travel you simply need to push the car & depress the clutch until the car moves without resistance, then use a bolt or similar as a pedal stop. That's what worked for me anyway!

Adam.

coyoteboy - 22/7/11 at 01:46 PM

Any 3SGE or 3SGTE powered car will have a nice smooth acting hydro clutch you could use, tiny slave cyl too if you don't have one on the engine already.