Board logo

R1 (2003) lost oil pressure
spdpug98 - 3/8/13 at 08:42 PM

I was out today for a little run, unfortunately towards the end I lost all oil pressure quickly followed by the water temperature rising to 120deg+!!!!

I've got the engine out the car and spoken to a neighbour who thinks it could be the oil pump, as it is the pump for the oil & water

Has anyone had similar issues and able to offer any advice

adithorp - 4/8/13 at 07:46 AM

Could be the drive to the pumps. It's a chain drive to the shaft that drives both water and oil pumps.

How long did it run from loss of oil pressure to switching off? You don't get long before the bearings get damaged.

spdpug98 - 4/8/13 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Could be the drive to the pumps. It's a chain drive to the shaft that drives both water and oil pumps.

How long did it run from loss of oil pressure to switching off? You don't get long before the bearings get damaged.

I've checked the chain, it's still connected / not snapped, I'm working on the basis that it'll need new bearings as ran for about 800m without pressure

spdpug98 - 5/8/13 at 06:52 PM

Bottom end stripped down, the culprit was a seized oil / water pump - doesn't look to bad inside so think I've got away with it - fingers crossed

adithorp - 5/8/13 at 07:09 PM

If you've got decent oil in it and it wasn't under a lot of load then the bearings could well be OK. Did you find any cause for the siezed pump?

spdpug98 - 5/8/13 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
If you've got decent oil in it and it wasn't under a lot of load then the bearings could well be OK. Did you find any cause for the seized pump?

Was using a good oil, so no worries there - I've not stripped the pump yet, here is a pic of the bearing:

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/spdpug98/CapampBearing.jpg[/IMG ]