Board logo

R1 bec oil level
bassett - 4/7/15 at 10:05 PM

Hi all, a dumb and asked before questions but at the same time I kept reading contradictory posts, even the haynes manual left me a bit uncertain over if the engine was running or not.

So how do you read an r1 2003 oil level. Is it;

Option 1 warm up, whilst running ensure its half way up the sight glass.

Option 2 warm up, turn off and ensure its half way up the sight glass.

Or option 3 none of the above.

Thanks
Adam

daniel mason - 4/7/15 at 10:21 PM

Make sure the car is on level ground as even slight slope either way will make a difference to the sight glass!
I always fill mine to the max line with engine off

daniel mason - 4/7/15 at 10:23 PM

and fill the filter first before changing it

dave_424 - 4/7/15 at 10:26 PM

Cold engine on level ground, might as well fill to max line

CosKev3 - 5/7/15 at 07:17 AM

From what I've read on here you should overfill the R1 in BEC's?

Fill it to top of sight glass, then add another 250ml seems to be the most common.

Digimon - 5/7/15 at 08:36 AM

This is from the R1 Manual, I fill mine just above the max line

Description
Description

Davey D - 5/7/15 at 09:01 AM

With my 5vy I fill it to the top line with the oil warm and the engine running

CosKev3 - 5/7/15 at 09:19 AM

All the manuals are for the engine in a bike though, so a baffle plate and overfill when fitted in a car stop the chance of surge.

[Edited on 5/7/15 by CosKev3]

Johneturbo - 5/7/15 at 09:46 AM

im with the run the engine let it warm up stop it leave it for 20mins then fill to top sight glass then add extra 250ml

motorcycle_mayhem - 5/7/15 at 10:47 AM

Option 1.

If well baffled and on slicks, then add more, and then some more just for luck. The R1 will breathe heavily, what oil it doesn't want will go into the vent tank, drainage line back into the sump.

dave_424 - 5/7/15 at 12:30 PM

An engine builder, who makes big bore hayabusa engines, advised me to be able to just see the oil level at the top of the sight glass when the engine is running. That's what all the autocross guys do with no dry sump and they are high speed cornering 24/7

adithorp - 5/7/15 at 04:23 PM

Mines a 5vy but...

I check engine hot (makes a massive difference) and idling, level 2/3 to 3/4 way up the glass. Pretty much the same amount of oil as hot, max mark switched off and then 200-250ml over-fill EXCEPT you can see the level. Been good like that for just shy of 30,000 miles.

Just back from 2700miles around France and it's not used a drop. Only breathes a bit of oiley condensation water in the catch tank if doing short runs in cold weather but nothing on longer/hot runs, even on track. Baffle plate fitted and cam cover breather mod done (not required on a 5PW)