Board logo

ZZR1100 engine stalling help!
INDY BIRD - 27/5/07 at 07:50 PM

Need some help,

When i put the car into gear the engine cuts out straight away its a zzr1100 engine,

any ideas.?????????

The clutch is in of course.

Thanks

Sean

tks - 27/5/07 at 07:51 PM

Clutch switch isn't connected to your clutch...

Tks

INDY BIRD - 27/5/07 at 08:03 PM

thanks for that guys but i have just joined the clutch switch wires together should that not solve the prob??? as when they are not the engine wont even start?????

im prob being thick but hey electrics not my strong point.

Thanks

Sean

tks - 27/5/07 at 08:10 PM

If you don't join them.

You cant start in gear

sidestand is the other one to check!
if a gear kickis and it isn't joined the engine is shutted down...

join it.

Tks

[Edited on 27/5/07 by tks]

INDY BIRD - 27/5/07 at 08:40 PM

Ok just to confrim.

i have jpined the 2 wires together fot the clutch switch because if they are not joined the engine will not start even when in neutral.

Side stand switch is isolated aswell but will check this.

But as soon as i try to put in gear the engine stalls straight away????

is it correct to join the clutch switch wires togehter???

and any ideas why it wont start if they are not????

Thanks again everyone????

Sean

whitestu - 27/5/07 at 08:42 PM

I agree with the side stand suggestion.

My old GPZ would start and run with the side stand down, but stall if you tried to set off .

Stu

worX - 28/5/07 at 05:22 AM

you are correct on the clutch switch, but I will second (third!) the sidestand switch - it is the description of when it is stopping that would indicate this, and it's the only thing left it could be IMO!

Steve

smart51 - 28/5/07 at 08:30 AM

Your engine is running on the neutral switch. When you select a gear, the neutral switch goes off. There must be something else you need to short to get it to work. Do you have a circuit diagram?

esn163 - 28/5/07 at 08:47 AM

Hi

We had this problem with our blade. Side stand switch and clutch switch had all been sorted but I missed a wire, in some way related to one of these, that runs from the starter relay.

In our case, this just needed earthing in addition to the other safety devices which solved the problem. Does anyone have a wiring diagram to see if this is the same with the ZZR1100

HTH

Ed

russbost - 28/5/07 at 09:50 AM

Just to be clear does it cut immediately as tho ign has been cut (indicating wiring faults as described above) or does it die away more slowly & "fighting the car" if you know what I mean, indicating clutch drag. It's quite easy to put a bike engine into 1st gear without depressing the clutch - will just jerk & stall.HTH

INDY BIRD - 28/5/07 at 06:18 PM

no it dies straight away no clunk to get into gear etc. it doesnt even get into gear.

Must be one of the connections but just figure which one.

as said i joined the clutch switch wires together light green and yellow/green, as the engine wont fire up otherwise???

Thanks

Guinness - 28/5/07 at 06:35 PM

The ZZR has three safety circuits to contend with. These are fitted with diodes inside the junction box.

Clutch switch (or starter lockout switch), neutral switch and side stand switch.

We can ignore the start button and kill switch wiring as you can get it to fire up and rev ok? As it dies when you put it in gear, the safety circuit is seeing the neutral light go out, but that the side stand is down.

Basic working is, the engine won't start unless you are in neutral or the clutch is in (so you want green light on and / or the clutch switch closed).

Then to stop you looking an arse the engine will stop if you try to get it into gear (green light goes out) when the side stand is down (circuit closed).

Basically, look for a single green and white wire coming from the junction box. Cut it short and insulate the end. That way it should think the side stand is always up (circuit open).

HTH

Mike

Guinness - 28/5/07 at 06:37 PM

I have a colour scan of the wiring diagram for the ZZR, but can't save it as a jpeg to upload it to here. If you let me have you address I can photocopy the relevant pages and post them to you?

Mike