Board logo

Bach Roadster : Atom-style BEC
Rod Ends - 12/2/10 at 10:50 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-86-xI66So

Miks15 - 12/2/10 at 10:59 PM

i must say im not a fan

Paradoxia0 - 12/2/10 at 11:08 PM

I like the concept...

I think it needs a bit more "substance" though. I know it is supposed to be minimal, but that is more unfinished!

Peteff - 13/2/10 at 12:04 AM

It looks all out of proportion.

D Beddows - 13/2/10 at 12:51 AM

on a related note......why is it that most Atoms/Atom type cars you see are driven by people who feel the need to dress up like that Stig bloke....... bit sad no?

nitram38 - 13/2/10 at 06:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
on a related note......why is it that most Atoms/Atom type cars you see are driven by people who feel the need to dress up like that Stig bloke....... bit sad no?

I think you might find that the lack of bodywork and windscreen causes you to a) get cold & b) dig stones out of your eyes and face.

I like the minimal engineering, but it would never be allowed on UK roads due to lack of mud guards and too many projections.
Also the front wishbones do look kinda weird (angles) and look a bit undersized considering two people to be carried.
It obviously handles well considering how he chucks it about.
I'm sure like all our cars it will evolve.
Well done for attempting such a project and getting it on the road.

mangogrooveworkshop - 13/2/10 at 08:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

I think you might find that the lack of bodywork and windscreen causes you to a) get cold & b) dig stones out of your eyes and face.

I like the minimal engineering, but it would never be allowed on UK roads due to lack of mud guards and too many projections.
Also the front wishbones do look kinda weird (angles) and look a bit undersized considering two people to be carried.
It obviously handles well considering how he chucks it about.
I'm sure like all our cars it will evolve.
Well done for attempting such a project and getting it on the road.

good point
Wonder if mr bedows will care to comment on my dressing up with a Musto high performance offshore sailing jacket and trousers in order for me to drive to Glasgow twice in the last week to pick up various bits for my cars at temps nearing 1 degree airtemp + a 70 mph windchill factored in......... winter sevening hardcore.....

D Beddows - 13/2/10 at 11:53 AM

Depends if you were wearing sensible clothes for what you were doing or a white nomex race suit and a Simpson Bandit helmet...... lol

splitrivet - 13/2/10 at 11:56 AM

Its owibal, you'd need to wear a full face so folks couldnt recognise you.

ReMan - 13/2/10 at 11:58 AM

Good work, but the spindlyness of the styling doesnt do it for me

gottabedone - 13/2/10 at 01:27 PM

It will look good when he puts some bodywork on it

jacko - 13/2/10 at 03:04 PM

It looks crap

Alan B - 13/2/10 at 03:10 PM

First of all every credit for getting it built and driving. However there are a few things that look somewhat under engineered.....the rockers (bellcranks) look like they are just waiting to bend...the whole chassis looks a bit flimsy too...as Martin said the top wishbone angles look way off what you'd expect...could be they have done a great job with the geometry, I could be completely wrong.

Doug68 - 14/2/10 at 09:15 AM

He wont get cold he's in Texas, most of the time where he is its like being in a sauna but with mosquitoes thrown in.

If the guy intends to drive it on the street there he's got serious cajones.

kb58 - 14/2/10 at 04:27 PM

1. The bellcranks look dangerously weak.
2. I wonder how the suspension was designed. Front camber-gain is crazy.
2a. Of course, if the springs are stiff enough, it'll mask most suspension issues.

[Edited on 2/15/10 by kb58]

Gakes - 15/2/10 at 11:37 AM

I think the concept is great. it does need some character though, with some bodywork. The front suspension works as we can see in the video, although as Alan B said, it probably has great geometry. We do not need lots of suspension travel and I think thats what the owner had in mind.

The bellcranks do need some extra beef though.

Well done, its all just improvement from here on....

Alan B - 15/2/10 at 02:57 PM

No I said it "could" have great geometry ...implying that I'd be very surprised if it did.....

cheapracer - 27/2/10 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
He wont get cold he's in Texas, most of the time where he is its like being in a sauna but with mosquitoes thrown in.

Guess I should tell my Texas Mate that.

I'll just wait for him to come inside and take a break from shoveling the snow first ;-)

cheapracer - 27/2/10 at 05:42 PM

Why is it now when someone makes a "pipeframe" special which have been around for years that it's automatically an "Atom style/replica/copy......" Rescued attachment bach1.JPG
Rescued attachment bach1.JPG

cheapracer - 27/2/10 at 05:43 PM

.. Rescued attachment Bach2.JPG
Rescued attachment Bach2.JPG

cheapracer - 27/2/10 at 05:51 PM

.... Rescued attachment bach3.JPG
Rescued attachment bach3.JPG

nitram38 - 27/2/10 at 09:16 PM

My guess is that it is fine fine for smooth off road tarmac surfaces but on a road, (in the uk) it will do about 5 miles before it needs a new chassis!
Especially after our winter and the potholes!

[Edited on 27/2/2010 by nitram38]