Board logo

Mid engined gearbos options?
pk - 2/3/06 at 01:31 PM

I'm in the planning stages of a mid engined project at the moment and wondered what gearboxes are most popular? i have a WRX Scooby engine that i want to use. It will give goop power is reasonably light and is very short iseal some would say but what gearbox should i use?

Nick Skidmore - 2/3/06 at 02:00 PM

Rovers with Renault 25 or 30 transaxles.

Audi setup has been popular.

VW upside down as per Hewland but can be weak

violentblue - 2/3/06 at 02:04 PM

porsche 915 has been used with the WRX engine in many different porsche replicas with some success, and there are company's that make the cadapter for it

JonBowden - 2/3/06 at 03:30 PM

Just tried the link to your project at http://www.dsswebdesign.com/ but the address does not seem to exist.

kreb - 2/3/06 at 05:27 PM

errrrrrr, why not use the scooby trans? The only negatives I can think of are that there's quite a bit of overhang to the rear of the half-shafts, and that gearbox doesn't take tons of abuse in WRX guise, but with the lowered weight of a homebuilt midi, the strain should be lessened.

locost_bryan - 3/3/06 at 03:31 AM

The Saker RSC uses the Subaru motor and box - plenty of upgraded internals from the rally world - race in US and Holland. Gearbox outlasts engine.

tigris - 3/3/06 at 01:52 PM

use a subaru fwd trans, has same bits as awd. the trans should be up to more abuse because its only driving 2 wheels in a much lighter car.

violentblue - 3/3/06 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
Just tried the link to your project at http://www.dsswebdesign.com/ but the address does not seem to exist.

I didn't renew the web address this year, I just haven't got around to fixing the link yet.

v8kid - 7/3/06 at 08:09 AM

The renault UN1 box (R25) is handy cos you can turn it upside down to get the output shafts higher than the input shafts a just like hewland - should mention its dead easy to reverse the diff. Disadvantage is the huge overhang at the rear there must be a couple of feet of box behind the output shafts

Kamikza - 13/3/06 at 04:31 PM

what is scobby engine

jestre - 13/3/06 at 07:18 PM

A scooby engine...AKA Subaru nickname

pk - 14/3/06 at 01:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas. My 1st choice at the moment would be the scooby box. Does anyone know what Saker do to the box when fitting it to the RSC. It looks like they remove the drive to the rear and fit a cover plate? Photo's or a section of the box would be very helpful!