Board logo

Just starting mid engined kit car Project
poloace - 1/4/03 at 12:37 PM

I am starting to design my own car with a VW Polo G40 engine mounted in the back.

I am aiming for uiltra low weight something around 500Kg.

I am starting by modelling the chassis

I will probably go for locost style front suspension.

What are my options for the rear??

Alan B - 1/4/03 at 01:52 PM

Is that a transverse engine? What does the engine/gearbox weigh?

I'm using the Toyota 4AGE/5 spd package (ex MR2) and that weighs about 180kg and so far my rolling chassis weighs about 450kg out of about 600kg as my target.

If you haven't seen my site it is probably worth a look (yeah, I know another blatant plug...)

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

I have a page of some part weights which may help .

Good luck and welcome....you have come to right place...he he he.....

poloace - 1/4/03 at 02:29 PM

Not 100% on the weight of the engine They can be lifted by one person with a struggle about 200Kg. The engine is a transverse front mounted 4cylinder with a supercharger standard 115bhp easilytuned to 150bhp 200bhp possible it is only a 1.3 so is quite small as well. I have a g40 road car and it is quick but handling and grip not the best with 140bhp though front wheels and no LSD and a car weighing only 850kg as standard.

So I think something around the 500kg should be possible.

Alan B - 1/4/03 at 02:58 PM

Yes, I would agree about 500kgs.....you'll need to lose the heater, screen, wipers etc....choose wheels and tyres wisely...pick or make lightish uprights, brakes etc.....

But, yes all doable IMO...

Sounds good...keep us posted.

poloace - 1/4/03 at 03:15 PM

It will be as basic as possible I will try and avoid as much as possible aluminium panels to reduce weight. I am in no hurry to complete it so chassis will have full FEA analysis with ProE so every kg will have to count.

I am staring to examine different designs at the moment and modelling the locost chassis as practice/ warm up on my CAD software.

It will be a very compact 2 seater, as you say no creature comfort added but I may allow the option in the design for later if I want to use it daily!

Doubt if I will be finished by 2005!!

I am spending alot of my time to design it as it won't cost me much to do that have a spare engine to measure up etc.

Just need to educate myself on suspension design etc.

Alan

robinbastd - 1/4/03 at 09:00 PM

Welcome to the ODD bit of Locostbuilders!
Glad to hear of another builder aiming to have as little body as possible. I'm using a 4age from a Corolla,bookish front,possibly single centrally placed seat-plenty of legroom that way! Not entirely sure which way to go about the rear suspension either. I should have more ideas about that when the engine and box are out of the donor.
Good luck to you!
Regards
Ian

poloace - 2/4/03 at 02:54 PM

I am thinking of a bookish front aswell, The thing is I don't want cycle wings but would like a covered front end much shorter than the locost but I don't reallywant a big heavy fibre glass tub. I am thinking of having minimum panelling to cover things up. maybe flat panels with grp bits to smooth it out.

Are there many kits that use alot of alluminium panelling over glass fibre with a sporty style body?

Alan B - 2/4/03 at 03:09 PM

Despite the inboard rockers my front suspension is quite "bookish" too....no need to deviate much from the classic double wishbone IMO.

kb58 - 12/4/03 at 06:35 PM

To save time and money... but not weight, use the stock front VW uprights, brakes, and half-shafts, at the rear. In otherwords, just transplant the entire drivetrain to the rear of your chassis. Anything else is going to be expensive.

[Edited on 12/4/03 by kb58]

poloace - 15/4/03 at 05:10 PM

I plan to use the original driveshafts, Hubs not 100% sure yet as I will try and use Golf 16v rear brakes so I have handbrake cabability. I ma not to worried about design a hub to take the polo wheel bearing.

I may make up a dedion axle arrangment for a bit more fun.