Board logo

Middy scratch builds roll call
Fred W B - 6/2/08 at 08:38 AM

With lots of new members, let’s try this for interest sake. Add who and how far you are. I’ll start:

Project Name – CANAMSA
Builder – Fred W B

Chassis – prototype built
Running gear – sorted and bought (Rover v8, Audi 016, protechs, 7 and 8 J x 15" supalights)
Body – Pattern in progress

Cheers

Fred W B

donahue 70
donahue 70

29oct05 engine in
29oct05 engine in

[Edited on 7/2/08 by Fred W B]

Kaspa - 6/2/08 at 08:49 AM

good idea Fred
MTBW
Project Name- JRC
Type - Race Sport prototype
Designer builder driver-Me
Chassis- tubular space frame
running gear, Mitzi Evo 3, 2ltr turbo
chassis finnished, starting on suspension
body will be similar to pic below

cheers Kaspa

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Kaspa]

JonBowden - 6/2/08 at 09:07 AM

After I've built my locost (that'll be after I move to a house with a garage), I plan to build a scratch midi

I designed a simple midi spaceframe about 20 years ago that is quite rigid - even cymtriks seemed to like it.

However, I really fancy making a lotus 23 ish aluminium monocoque (I know the originals were spaceframe)
I have in mind a central tub with huge sill sections with fibreglass nose and tail sections.

Mr Whippy - 6/2/08 at 09:14 AM

The pressure to think of a cool project name! Oh I don't know......

Project - car1
Builder - me
Type - single seater
Running gear - lot's of Ford stuff, big Lambo wheels and very heavy 2.8l v6
Chassis- Spaceframe, with alloy panels
Body - One off glass fiber mouldings
Progress - Chassis design comming on, have most of the mechanics already, need more room or a bigger garage
Will look like - <

minitici - 6/2/08 at 09:30 AM

Project : Terrapin-Mini
Builder : Doug A.
Chassis : Scratch built spaceframe.
Suspension : Based on Staniforth "Terrapin" design
using Mini uprights/hubs/brakes.
Engine/gearbox : Kawasaki ZX10 (997cc) supercharged?
Westgarage Engineering Chain Drive Differential (Quaife ATB internals).
Body : Modified Domino HT race shell with removable front and rear sections.
Wheels/tyres : Front 8x13, rear 10x13, Avon slick tyres.
Build Status : Major components sourced,
Rollover cage tacked-up,
Currently on hold until Customers cars built

Delinquent - 6/2/08 at 09:54 AM

Project: A 3 seater car (ok might come up with a more imaginative name later)
Builder: Me
Chassis/Body: Carbon semi monocoque if I can get enough info to be confident on the SVA, otherwise a rethink to carbon body / steel or folded ally chassis.
Suspension: Scratch design using Citroen Hydraulics coupled to double wishbone all round.
Engine / Gearbox: Budget dependant - Boyant budget = Audi V8 with Porsche tranny, Dire Budget = Subaru 3.3 engine & box - most likely tubo'd or supercharged.
Progress: still waiting for the new workshop to be built to build it in! Plans approved, now with Building Regs for final sign off, then we've just got to move several thousand tons of soil to bury it under.

Very fluid at the moment, all the most complex bits worked out in CAD. Hope to start getting oily hands later this year. A pic of how it looked a couple of months back...

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Delinquent]

Doug68 - 6/2/08 at 10:10 AM

Chassis: Tube frame steel 90%+ tacked together
Engine: 1UZFE (in shed)
Trans: Boxster 5 speed (in shed)
Suspension: Corvette Z06 uprights brakes etc (in shed). Dampers in post.
Body: giving me heart burn. May look something like below (shown with Ford straight 6 motor)...

Fred has the coolest picture to date.

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Doug68]

Mr Whippy - 6/2/08 at 12:13 PM

Good grief 'Delinquent' that's an ambitious project

Delinquent - 6/2/08 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Good grief 'Delinquent' that's an ambitious project

I got bored of doing things the simple way and the missus then got pregnant so I need something to keep me firmly in the garage for the next 18 -21 years

I won't be a short build by a very long stretch - though most of the 3 odd years I've spent on it so far have been trying to get companies to respond to questions!

v8kid - 6/2/08 at 12:32 PM

Great idea Fred:-

Builder -David Child
Project - Sylva V8
Sylva Riot chassis
Body - bare minimum
Wheels - 7" front 9" rear
Rover 5l V8 engine on throttle bodies
Renault 25/30/Quaiffe close ratio gearbox
SVA'd and on the road.

Wolf HR - 6/2/08 at 12:43 PM

Do projects in design phase count?

If so, here's mine:

Builder: Wolf-HR
Project: Cyclecar GP
Dimensions: 3700x1685x725 mm
Wheelbase & Track: 2500 mm & 1460/1480 mm
Construction: fibreglass sandwich monocoque with glued Al bulkheads
Suspension: fully adjustable double wishbones all around (adjustable ride height, at 125 & 150 mm)
Engine: BEC

* cyclecar is original name for BEC from twenties... back then GP cars required riding mechanic, so it's only fitting it should be a two seater

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Wolf HR]

lsdweb - 6/2/08 at 01:08 PM

Great idea Fred:-

Builder – Wyn Edwards and MVS Racing
Project – Swift R1
Started as a Swift Formula Ford 2000 – whole rear of car is new (so almost qualifies as scratch built!) .
Body – Mix of original fibreglass and new carbon fibre
Wheels - 7" front 10" rear Compomotive split rims.
Engine – 2000/2005 R1 running on Emerald ECU
Competed last season (2007) – in the middle of upgrade to 2005 engine and later ECU spec.

[Edited on 6/2/08 by lsdweb] Rescued attachment 86a.jpg
Rescued attachment 86a.jpg

russbost - 6/2/08 at 01:24 PM

I'm sure some of you will know my beast anyway, but heregoes:-

Tandem 2 - seater
Lengthened FF2000 chassis with new front & rear end (that's right it doesn't leave much of the original)
Designed to look like modern F1 car
Twin Kawasaki zx10 (old) engines - one drives each rear wheel - no diff!

[img]http:// [/img]

Finished, SVA'd & on the road for nearly 3 years now. A production version based on the MR2 Mk1 is finally available.

uklee70 - 6/2/08 at 01:35 PM

I think I can add myself to the list

Car is built and running (trackdays)

Electirics and paint need finishing

then the SVA

[img][/img]
trackday1
trackday1

Lee

kikiturbo - 6/2/08 at 01:47 PM

Project : x1000
Builder : Vladimir aka. kikiturbo
Chassis : Scratch built spaceframe, 4130 tubing
Suspension : Double A arms, using custom uprights, pushrods and probably AVO coilovers
Brakes: Wilwood 4 pot powerlites front and rear, non vented discs, inboard discs at the rear
Engine/gearbox : 2006 GSXR 1000 and box running OE ECU and possibly DTA S60 later on, chain drive, Lancia delta integrale Torsen LSD diff, running in a custom enclosure
Body : minimal, nosecone, and one sidepod with the rad
Wheels/tyres : Compomotive CXR, Front 6x13, rear 6x13, 175/60 or 185/55 13, Avon or yokohama road legal trackday tyres.
Build Status : Most of the components allready bought... waiting for some more tubing to come to weld the chasis togeather, design of the chasis at 90%, suspension design finished, wooden mockup of the chasis made.

nitram38 - 6/2/08 at 02:07 PM

Finished:
Rear engined Rover 214 K seris engine. Tandem passenger.

Description
Description

MotaLeira, Current rear engined R1, atomesque :

Description
Description

nick205 - 6/2/08 at 02:20 PM

That's a very impressive thread guys - almost makes a regular kit builder like me feel a little inadequate.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Nitram's Mota Leira and Fred's CANAMSA finished

Alan B - 6/2/08 at 03:16 PM

Agreed Fred, good idea.....

Project Name – Meerkat, 2 seater
Builder – Alan B
Chassis – Mostly 1" x 16g square, with 1.5 sq and 1.25 sq
Running gear – MR2 Engine and trasmission. MR2 hubs brakes etc with tublar wishbones all round
Body – 95% done so only 50% left...

Project Name – Tiki, 3 seater exo-skeletal
Builder – Alan B
Chassis – Mostly 1.5" x 16g round, with 1" diagonals
Running gear – Honda I-VTEC Engine and trasmission. Chevy Cav. hubs front brakes VW Golf rear brakes etc with tublar wishbones all round
Body – Minimal 80% done

Tiki outside
Tiki outside

Ians - 6/2/08 at 04:32 PM

Could not be any more middy!!!! Ians. Rescued attachment 45.jpg
Rescued attachment 45.jpg

cloudy - 6/2/08 at 06:13 PM

Project Name – Warner R4
Builder Name - James Warner
Completion - 60%

[Edited on 17/5/08 by cloudy]

[Edited on 19/5/08 by cloudy]

blue2cv - 6/2/08 at 07:04 PM

Spaceframe chassis, blackbird power, Allens performance billet transaxle, err its a 2cv (stop giggling at the back)

froggy - 6/2/08 at 08:00 PM

finished and now in bits again for wider track and new chain drive setup

Tralfaz - 6/2/08 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ians
Could not be any more middy!!!! Ians.

Can we hear/see a bit more about this car.

AWD (assume so)?

Looks similar in concept to the dp1?

Respectfully,

T

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Tralfaz]

Uphill Racer - 6/2/08 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
quote:
Could not be any more middy!!!! Ians.

Can we hear/see a bit more about this car.

AWD (assume so)?

Looks similar in concept to the dp1?

Respectfully,

T

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Tralfaz]

Yea, dont be mean get your quill out and provide input.

sgraber - 7/2/08 at 12:14 AM

Great idea Fred.

Project Name – La Bala
Builder – Steve Graber

Chassis – Spaceframe - prototype built
Running gear – AW11 Toyota MR2
Body – Self designed and built.

Current Photo:
Yellow La Bala Beauty Photo
Yellow La Bala Beauty Photo

Fred W B - 7/2/08 at 05:50 AM

Wow, less than a day and 20+ responses for planned or current projects. I think there are a few of the usual suspects still to come as well.

Scanning through the photo's on this thread really gives a good idea of what this section of the forum is all about.

Thanks guys

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 7/2/08 by Fred W B]

TheGecko - 7/2/08 at 07:18 AM

Project Name – Gecko Clubman (because geckos are small, quick and have sticky feet)
Builder – Dominic (TheGecko)

Chassis – about 50% tacked together
Running gear – Mitsubishi 4G69 MIVEC 2.4 and gearbox. Front: Gemini (Chevette) uprights & wishbones. Rear:Corolla uprights w/ MR2 brakes - struts. Simmons B45 15x7 three piece wheels 205/55-15 tyres
Body – Locost style panels.

Dick Bear - 7/2/08 at 02:50 PM

Honda powered, hand shaped aluminum body McLaren M8B inspired scratch build.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1090.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1090.jpg

Ians - 7/2/08 at 06:56 PM

You are correct Tralfaz the DP1 was the inspiration for the build, I spoke to Dennis and he was all for the project, I have to say from the outset the completed vehicle (for competition use) was made entirely by three of my 15 year old students. One student made the plugs, moulds and body. The second was responsible for all fabrication (chassis, wishbones, uprights, etc). The third student did all the machining of parts (hubs, disk bells, steering rack, diff mounts etc). The finished vehicle is 15 inches shorter, 12 inches narrower, and 150 lbs lighter than Dennis' DP1 with an extra 70 horsepower over the motor installed in Dennis' car. The AWD system also varies in the fact that the drive ratios can be split front and rear to suit different track conditions. I have to repeat that the three students are only 15 years old. The car has been tested and shows itself to have immense promise for the forthcoming race season (it will be used mainly for sprints in the UK). A full desciption of how the car was constructed, processes and materials etc is to be featured in Race Car Engineering magazine sometime in the next few months. Uphill Racer I hope thats enough quill for you ...Ians Rescued attachment 168.jpg
Rescued attachment 168.jpg

Ians - 7/2/08 at 07:00 PM

Chassis... Rescued attachment 134.JPG
Rescued attachment 134.JPG

Tralfaz - 7/2/08 at 07:23 PM

Ians,

Thank you very much for the reply. The car looks superb, congratulations to your students. I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis out in Portland 2 Summers ago and had a good look over the car.

How did you handle the drive chains?, it doesn't look as though you utilized as complex a guide system as on the dp1.

I look forward to reading the article.

Ringius - 7/2/08 at 07:52 PM

Ok, here goes, though I am not worthy...

Middy with Audi 1.8T engine and trans.
Wheelbase 2400 mm
track 1550mm
height 1150mm

GRP body

Plan to start actual build during summer/early fall when workshop setup

Currently playing around with wooden mockup to sort dimensions and ergonomics. Rescued attachment c5_front_side_mid.jpg
Rescued attachment c5_front_side_mid.jpg

JC - 7/2/08 at 08:17 PM

I'm still here! Progress has been glacially slow on the Mistrale over recent months, mainly due to work commitments. Chassis is mainly complete, engine (1,25 Zetec S) mounted, steering done, 'just' need pedals, fuel, water and electrics. Oh and what little body there is!

Uphill Racer - 7/2/08 at 08:30 PM

Very nice Ians, but you do know that yellow is the colour wasps are attracted to don't you?

ZEN - 7/2/08 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Chassis...

What is that red thing with gold rims in the background?

airframefixer - 7/2/08 at 11:13 PM

In progress
BEC le mans inspired middy
Yamaha bike engine, dont have one yet.
99" wheelbase, 66" wide
Miata uprights and brakes
1000 lbs dry weight target

Description
Description

Description
Description

Andrew

crafty - 8/2/08 at 01:49 AM

Ians...

Do you have a website for this build.... very interesting.

I-man - 8/2/08 at 10:54 AM

You can add me to this list as well!!
Stagger V8
Audi 4.2 V8
Based on the 1938 Auto Union Type C
<<<<<--------------

Ians - 8/2/08 at 05:41 PM

ZEN...a motorbike engined racecar I built back in 1992 its now used as teaching aid to get the students to grasp the basics of suspension design (its featured in "Race and Rally Car Source Book", by Allan Staniforth). The orange car is its 2007 successor...Ians. Rescued attachment 174.jpg
Rescued attachment 174.jpg

Ians - 8/2/08 at 05:43 PM

Rescued attachment 170.jpg
Rescued attachment 170.jpg

Ians - 8/2/08 at 05:55 PM

Tralfaz. Experience through the building of motorcycle engined racecars has shown you can often over- complicate . Chain drive is a safe and reliable medium provided you have good sprocket alignment...Ians. Rescued attachment 110.jpg
Rescued attachment 110.jpg

ZEN - 8/2/08 at 06:12 PM

quote:
ZEN...a motorbike engined racecar I built back in 1992 its now used as teaching aid to get the students to grasp the basics of suspension design (its featured in "Race and Rally Car Source Book", by Allan Staniforth). The orange car is its 2007 successor...Ians.

Looks stunning and I'm sure that's stunningly fast also

Got the book but haven't yet read it. I'm done with reading "How to Build and Modify Sportscar and Kitcar..." by Des Hammill and now reading "competition car suspension" by Allan Staniforth. Gotta educate myself

Ians - 8/2/08 at 06:25 PM

ZEN....You will find reference to this car in Competition Car Suspension (latest edition)as well as my research into Ackermann.....Ians

ZEN - 8/2/08 at 07:14 PM

M'key Just got to Chapter 3 and reading on.
p.s. got the fourth edition

[Edited on 8/2/08 by ZEN]

Tralfaz - 8/2/08 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Tralfaz. Experience through the building of motorcycle engined racecars has shown you can often over- complicate . Chain drive is a safe and reliable medium provided you have good sprocket alignment...Ians.

Agreed. Is it a case where checking tension regularly (maintnance item) is all that's required? Is the span long enough that heat buildup is a non-issue?.. but not so long as to require additional tensioners or support?

ATB,

T

Ians - 8/2/08 at 08:26 PM

After initial stretch you would be suprised by how little maintenance is required, dirt is the major cause of most problems keep them clean and lubricated and they last for miles. It is not uncommon for some of our racecars to do 200 standing starts and many racing miles in a season on a chain without breakage....Ians

Ratman - 11/2/08 at 11:39 PM

The Road Rat. On the road now for 9 years, but still tinkering with it. never planned to do motorsports with it.. but am now doing sprints, hillclimbs etc. and enjoying it immensely.

Heres the latest outing at the Port Road Street Sprints a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLMHdzTqG0

thanks nitram38 for heads up on link for picture.

[Edited on 12/2/08 by Ratman]

kb58 - 12/2/08 at 02:12 AM

Well okay, since we're all showing off. This is "Kimini", a carbon fiber shell, tube frame, mid-engine "Mini" powered by a 220hp Honda Prelude FWD assembly located mid-engine.

Oh, and it's for sale... check out the website in my sig.

nicstreet - 20/2/08 at 08:16 PM

Project Name: (None as yet!)
Builder – Nic Street

Chassis – Drawings nearing completion -
Running gear – Engine - Toyota Celica GT4 / MR2 Turbo, Gearbox - Toyota MR2

Body – Minimal (A few ally panels)

Thought this was a particularly good point to introduce myself.

Between 2001 and 2006 my partner and I ran a heavily modified (450+ bhp) Toyota Celica GT4.

After the demise of our Celica GT4 Engine a few years ago all went quiet on the performance car front until I picked up a copy of Chris Gibbs book.

I then got the urge to build something from scratch that wouldnt cost as much, with a greater power to weight ratio but be equally as much fun to drive.

Roll on 2008 and with my other project (a camper van for fishing) nearly finished I will be dedicating my time to build my Mid Engine Monster.

Whilst I have no desire (or funds) to build a monster engine again I will be using the 3S-GTE in nearly stock form.

Hopefully on completion I should see somewhere in the region of 450bhp/tonne.

I'll share my progress over the coming months, and hopefully glean a lot of info from others.

Regards

Nic

stuleah - 25/2/08 at 04:45 PM

i am building a mid engined kit that will resemble the ktm xbow, all going well i hope to put it in production.
see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=83800

[Edited on 25/2/08 by stuleah]

Fred W B - 24/4/08 at 09:31 AM

I see some "stickys" popping up in other sections. How about we make this thread one so new browsers can see what we are all on about when they drop in?

I U2U'ed Fozzie to ask.

cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Fred W B]

Fozzie - 24/4/08 at 10:53 PM

Apologies for the lateness of the reply Fred...... its been a very busy day!

ATB Fozzie

hughpinder - 15/9/08 at 04:27 PM

Well , I've been hanging around here for a while, so I thought I'd finally get my project on here.

It will be based on the mondeo as much as possible. The engine (zetec) will be inclined so the drive shafts will be horizontal in line with the wheel centres and the lowest part of the engine will be 120mm above the ground. I wil try to use the standard induction/ecu etc to keep costs down.
I want to use staight tube in the chassis (although the atom style cars do look good).
I will be using mx5 front uprights/brakes/hubs/wheels.

All the rest is partially designed, so get ready for some questions.

Hugh

m8kwr - 8/10/08 at 01:20 PM

Currently designing a single seater, for use on the road and track.

At present i am designing the wishbones, and then onto the chassis.

Learning to weld and use CAD.

Engine - R1 (unsure of year, as not brought it)
Rear Diff - sierra LSD converted for chain drive - there is a reverse module to be added later.

Chassis - tubular steel
Wheels :195/50/15
Suspension - inboard

Shell, hopefully will be fibre glass, and i am going to try and make it myself.....

eurokraft - 14/1/09 at 07:19 AM

Hello everyone, wanted to say hello, new here, from USA, california, and wanted to show a bit what I'm doing to you guys, the 2 minis pictured are built over an original early toyota MR2 chassis that has been shortened at the rear fire wall, the mini body is steel the wide body glassfiber design ed and built by me.
At the moment I am building a tube frame, based on "Graber cars" chassis plans, hope to have it done soon. the body will be all glassfibre, molds are already made, so things are looking good!

cheers, Tony

[Edited on 14/1/09 by eurokraft]

kb58 - 14/1/09 at 10:25 PM

I remember a mid-engine Mini about 15 years ago in a kit-car magazine. It was from the San Francisco area and they did exactly that, basically put the shell over an MR2. It was yellow if I recall, with huge fender flares.

Are you the same guy and is the yellow car there the same one?

[Edited on 1/14/09 by kb58]

eurokraft - 15/1/09 at 06:58 AM

yeap that's me, but...it was 1999 not quite 15 years yet lol, u got a good memory
the one in primer ahs just been sitting around, (very slow development).
congrats on your mini, looks cool! Tony
here's a link to that kit car article

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/5642_toyota_mr2_mini_cooper_hybrid/index.html

kb58 - 15/1/09 at 06:33 PM

Didn't realize it was 1999, mostly since I started my own car back in 1996 or so. I actually called you back then about possibly purchasing a shell.

eurokraft - 15/1/09 at 10:38 PM

It's possible, after that article on kit car, I was inundated with calls, unfortunatly I didn't have much to sell, just recently I did the molds for the complete, body, actualy almost complete lol, still didn't do the roof!
At the moment I'm working on a chassis, based on Steve Graber's plans, you might have heard off him? I think his chassis is the perfect mach for my mini, it beeing based on the mr2 also.
Anyway, I'm hoping to have an all glass body w that chassis, soon!
Tony

cheapracer - 21/1/09 at 06:20 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm developing an Exo Sleleton car both for myself and later for sale in any form and would like to show you a couple of months progress report.

http://www.flickr.com/cheapracer

Yes it is Atom-ish but wait for the bodywork before you write it off as just that, I think it's a bit special!

Currently using Toyota 4AFE motor and trans and talking to some people about Z-Tec 1.8 and 2.0's as I write this steering towards the Toyota 2.2 5S-FE engine which people could also use the well known 3S-GTE Turbo in the same hole.

And please don't tell the Atom Forum, I just wouldn't feel safe at night Wink

Mark

[Edited on 21/1/09 by cheapracer]

eurokraft - 21/1/09 at 07:12 AM

cheapracer....

congrats man, I think you are on to something, I think the body will make waves cheers, Tony

suparuss - 22/1/09 at 09:15 PM

its been a long time but im back now so everything is going to be ok! my project as some of you know is a 2 seater scratch build with an audi 5pot from an '86 coupe gt.
i decided building the bodywork in a single garage was just plain stupid, crazy and impossible so dropped the project for a while. since then ive done my loft conversion, landcaped my garden, got married and finally built a nice big slightly oversized double garage yippeee. so here we are again, ive got bit more work to do round the house and then im back to the car full time again! heres a pic of where it is now-

recent bodywork
recent bodywork

Fred W B - 23/1/09 at 08:09 AM

Hi Russ

Nice to see you back, was wondering what happened to you!

quote:

building the bodywork in a single garage was just plain stupid, crazy and impossible

ain't that the truth!

Photo looks good, look foward to seeing further progress

Cheers

Fred W B

Doug68 - 24/1/09 at 11:39 AM

Suparuss,

Good to see you back! I'd thought you'd fallen off of your perch.

suparuss - 25/1/09 at 08:30 PM

cheers, its nice to be back! and nice o see some familiar names and lots of interesting projects

andygtt - 2/2/09 at 11:56 AM

Hi all... after a year out im finally in a possition to get back on my project...

Joe T - 6/4/09 at 02:37 PM

Hello Andy

Nice to hear your back on your project, still looks very cool

Got a stand at Detling next weekend, come and say hello if your about.

Mad Dave - 6/4/09 at 06:49 PM

I thought I'd join in and show you my build.

Its going to be a road legal buggy powered by an Aprilia RSV engine. Its based on an Edge Barracuda

I'm well into the build and so far I've fabricated all the chassis, wishbones, uprights etc. I taught myself how to use a lathe and have made virtually every part myself.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

More pics in my archive in 'Buggy build' folder. Hope you like it!?!

Dave

nitram38 - 6/4/09 at 06:58 PM

Very nice work!

kb58 - 27/4/09 at 01:19 PM

My next project is a mid-engine car combining the best of the Locost and being mid-engine, and called "Midlana." Another book is in the works, this one with plans.

[Edited on 4/27/09 by kb58]

Joe T - 28/4/09 at 09:08 PM

Finally got the screen sorted on the Costin Roadster and a roller built up for some shows this year, 2 other cars in build.

[Edited on 28/4/09 by Joe T]

Dinoman - 27/5/09 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
Currently designing a single seater, for use on the road and track.

At present i am designing the wishbones, and then onto the chassis.

Learning to weld and use CAD.

Engine - R1 (unsure of year, as not brought it)
Rear Diff - sierra LSD converted for chain drive - there is a reverse module to be added later.

Chassis - tubular steel
Wheels :195/50/15
Suspension - inboard

Shell, hopefully will be fibre glass, and i am going to try and make it myself.....

Hi I am trying to keep going building my Mid Engined Track car from scratch this is as far as I have got sofar, got bogged down doing Pullrod suspension , so engine and box is vauxhall 20XE on Bike Throttle Bodies and Megasquirt ECU, body shell is already made in mould and is the lovely Ferrari 308 GTS so should at least look very nice ,Regards DM Rescued attachment Track Car with wheels.JPG
Rescued attachment Track Car with wheels.JPG

minitici - 27/5/09 at 04:01 PM

Sports Libre middy (ZX12R)

Dinoman - 28/5/09 at 04:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kikiturbo
Project : x1000
Builder : Vladimir aka. kikiturbo
Chassis : Scratch built spaceframe, 4130 tubing
Suspension : Double A arms, using custom uprights, pushrods and probably AVO coilovers
Brakes: Wilwood 4 pot powerlites front and rear, non vented discs, inboard discs at the rear
Engine/gearbox : 2006 GSXR 1000 and box running OE ECU and possibly DTA S60 later on, chain drive, Lancia delta integrale Torsen LSD diff, running in a custom enclosure
Body : minimal, nosecone, and one sidepod with the rad
Wheels/tyres : Compomotive CXR, Front 6x13, rear 6x13, 175/60 or 185/55 13, Avon or yokohama road legal trackday tyres.
Build Status : Most of the components allready bought... waiting for some more tubing to come to weld the chasis togeather, design of the chasis at 90%, suspension design finished, wooden mockup of the chasis made.

Hi just wondering how are you going to heat treat your tubing once you have it all welded together and also what rods will you be using, Regards DM

TPG - 9/7/09 at 04:37 PM

I've been chipping away at this slowly, (and will continue to do so....).This is only the start,theres lots of tubes missing still!I'm fitting/allowing for a 'screen.Zetec from a mondillyo in the back or middle if you like and a canvas roof,and the biggest thing, 2+2 seating arrangement. All this because its an ar*e only 2 people going anywhere at once and our weather (Hence screen and roof allowance).Going for the exo style of look, a few panels here and there..... Rescued attachment nsf fnt and rear hoops and roof small.jpg
Rescued attachment nsf fnt and rear hoops and roof small.jpg

Dick Bear - 10/7/09 at 09:16 AM

Mabaan ... Dick Bear's track car project. Rescued attachment IMG_72.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_72.jpg

kikiturbo - 29/8/09 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoman

Hi just wondering how are you going to heat treat your tubing once you have it all welded together and also what rods will you be using, Regards DM

hi, sorry for the late reply, haven't been on this forum much lately..
I am using Cromo1 (this are not straight 4130 rods ) rods, which was suggested to me by the tubing manufacturer.
I am not heat treating the chasis after welding as there are no facilities to do so, and I do not want to heat individual joints with oxyacetilene torch as I do not consider this to be good controlable practice. Anyway, there has been enough real life evidence that there is no need for post welding heat treatment in such structures.

kennyrayandersen - 11/10/09 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eurokraft
Hello everyone, wanted to say hello, new here, from USA, california, and wanted to show a bit what I'm doing to you guys, the 2 minis pictured are built over an original early toyota MR2 chassis that has been shortened at the rear fire wall, the mini body is steel the wide body glassfiber design ed and built by me.
At the moment I am building a tube frame, based on "Graber cars" chassis plans, hope to have it done soon. the body will be all glassfibre, molds are already made, so things are looking good!

cheers, Tony

I'm wondering how close to a Riot wheel base and track that body would be? That would be a slick drop-on companion to the car-yet-to-be-named from Sylva. Hmmmm... I just can't get past the Riot looks, though I like the concept. The Mini would be a lot better for weather than the open versions from Sylva... and it looks a lot cooler.

Dinoman - 12/10/09 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kikiturbo
quote:
Originally posted by Dinoman

hi, sorry for the late reply, haven't been on this forum much lately..
I am using Cromo1 (this are not straight 4130 rods ) rods, which was suggested to me by the tubing manufacturer.
I am not heat treating the chasis after welding as there are no facilities to do so, and I do not want to heat individual joints with oxyacetilene torch as I do not consider this to be good controlable practice. Anyway, there has been enough real life evidence that there is no need for post welding heat treatment in such structures.

Hi sorry again for late reply, there is no strenght advantage in using 4130 tube if you are not going to Heat threat after welding as the weld surrounding area will be reduced to simlar strenght as ERW tube so the extra cost is just wasted, Regards DM

ZEN - 12/10/09 at 10:43 AM

@kennyrayandersen

What is the red car behind the minies?

kennyrayandersen - 14/10/09 at 06:48 AM

I’d like to get in touch with Fiberglass body MR2 Mini guy. I tried to U2U, but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right, or if I did whether he got it. If you get this, could you drop me a line at:
kennyrayandersen (aht) yahoo.com
Thanks, Kenny

kennyrayandersen - 28/10/09 at 10:52 AM

bump -- Glass mini dude, Where are you?

dmulally - 10/11/09 at 02:51 AM

Hi All

I am building a scratch lotus 23 with a wrx turbo dry sumped in the clacker. Be interested to hear from any other 23 scratch builders.

Cheers

Damo

eurokraft - 8/12/09 at 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kennyrayandersen
bump -- Glass mini dude, Where are you?

Here I am lol still alive and the minitoy too
whats up??

kennyrayandersen - 11/12/09 at 11:06 AM

Just wonder how to get a hold of you so we could keep track of your body production, should you start producing them [for reals]. I've personally really liked it since the original article came out way back when. I think I called you back then as well, but things were a little slow getting rolling. I think the design really has merit -- especially if there is a chassis, or even chassis plans available to go with it. I would personally prefer a V-tec over the Toyota, but even if it were set up for a MR2 rear drive train it would be VERY interesting. Do you have a website, or contact information? Feel free to drop me a line at kennyrayandersen(at)yahoo.com

kennyrayandersen - 28/12/09 at 10:27 AM

Mid-engined Mini

Rather than e-mail you back directly (don’t lose my e-mail!), I thought it would serve the ‘community' a bit better to offer suggestions here. What is the actual wheelbase and track? If you could find a chassis that was close, it might make sense to do a re-body with what you have rather than make a chassis from scratch. There are several fairly short chassis that come to mind. There is the new J-15 mid-engine chassis, and there is the MK engineering mid engine chassis, which is pretty new. I think both of those are pretty small (it would probably be easier to scale it up or stretch it than it would be to make it smaller (smaller usually being a more difficult packaging problem to solve). Perhaps there are others. If you’d give us the dimensions, maybe someone might chime in with some possibilities

kb58 - 28/12/09 at 05:24 PM

They started with an MR-2 and dropped a fiberglass Mini shell onto it.

Blue Devil - 17/2/10 at 03:03 PM

R1 mid engine build here

Mr Noo - 21/3/10 at 05:12 PM

Hi all, been lurking for a while here, very good site. Enclosed are a couple of pics of my 917 buck under construction. Plans are to put a Bike engine in the back of it, to be used mainly for track days etc. Am glad my workshop seems like everyone else`s!!
Chris

Mr Noo - 14/4/10 at 07:12 AM

Bit more progress!

suparuss - 6/6/10 at 08:36 PM

got my fuel tank plumbed in today and put in a bit of go-go juice. 3 years stood still and the engine fired up after turning over 3 times on the first turn of the key! which was nice, albeit surprising! yippeeeee!

Alex_The_Educated_Novice - 30/1/11 at 11:20 AM

Car: Mid-engined, rear drive 2 seater, enclosed cockpit.
Builder: Alex Brown (myself).
Chassis: Steel space frame, aluminum honeycomb(?).
Engine/Transmission: Porsche Boxster/Cayman flat six, Porsche manual.
Suspension: Double wishbone all round.
Bodywork: Aluminium/GRP.
Design Features: Aircraft style cockpit canopy; medium profile tyres; driving experience and involvement prioritised over performance.

Build Stage: Doodles in a notebook.

Motto: All the Ideas, Without any Gear [head in the clouds, nothing to show for it].

kb58 - 30/1/11 at 05:34 PM

Project Name – Midlana
Builder – Kurt Bilinski
Chassis – self-designed and built
Running gear – Miata suspension bits, Honda turbo K24
Body – Similar to a Lotus Super Seven but mid-engine. There will be a book with plans.
Website - midlana.com

ZEN - 30/1/11 at 06:21 PM

quote:
There will be a book with plans.

Ice cool!

[Edited on 30/1/11 by ZEN]

b14wrc - 30/3/11 at 11:20 AM

Project Name – 'b14 wrc' locost

Builder – Rob Wood

Chassis – self-designed and built

Running gear – cortina mk V hubs, mk II steering rack, Fiat coupe 20v Turbo

Body – Locost / Lotus Seven redesigned and developed to take a mid-engine, Exposed 'naked' carrbon fibre body panels

Power around 250 - 300 bhp
Dry Weight (designed) 550 - 600kg

Power to weight 416-500 to 454-545BHP/Ton Ideally over 400BHP/Ton!

Mixture of Mock up and 2D CAD drawings - actual build to begin in the summer of 2011.

liam.mccaffrey - 7/4/11 at 08:51 PM

Bought time I posted in here

Project Name – "The Mutant" Custom Mazda/Volvo Mutant Middy
Builder – Liam Mc
Engine - Supercharged Volvo B5234T from V70
Gearbox - Volvo 850 M56
Chassis –Custom Prototype
Running gear – Front Mazda Mx5, Rear hybrid Mx5 upright with Sierra Xr4x4 stub axle and hub.
Body – Modified Version of Westfield Protoype

[Edited on 7/4/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

coyoteboy - 1/7/12 at 09:52 PM

Ah go on then, now it's largely under way.

Project - Hmm. Didn't think that one through
Builder - Me
Type - Two seater, open cockpit, minimal bodywork.
Running gear - Primarily Audi/VW V8 (4.2 ABZ on stock intake for the time being), 6spd 01E transaxle, Custom shafts
Chassis- Spaceframe, details not pinned down as I've not started designing that yet.
Body - Bits and pieces will be GRP/CF but I don't really want much.
Progress - Engine about 70% there. Box needs a clean, wheels under way. Still early stages and took the route of starting at the tyres and moving inward so uprights are my next priority.

Targetting 500kg. May not make it but I have to have a target. That said, with engine, box, wheels, tyres and shafts I've got about 190kg to spare so far.

It's going to be a road going track car rather than a track going road car, or at least that's the general plan.

[Edited on 1/7/12 by coyoteboy]

eddie99 - 1/7/12 at 09:54 PM

I guess mine comes under this as we've developed all new chassis and suspension.

So Elite Delta.
Builder - Me (Elite Motorsport Engineering)
ZX10 Powered mid engined single seater with LMP bodywork.
Bodywork - Half from Global GT, Half modified/added.
Chassis - Our own spaceframe design
Progress - Pretty much there, its been on track and now changed a bit more.

Weighs 475kg with me (minimum weight for bikesports)

[Edited on 1/7/12 by eddie99]

theprisioner - 17/9/12 at 09:20 PM

Project Name – No6
Builder – theprisioner (Alastair R)
Chassis – Sylva J15 with seat, tank, steering position and passenger footwell mods
Engine - Sigma 1.7 (Puma) tuned by Sitec Racing
Body – red

Chassis painted
Chassis painted

kitman - 5/5/13 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
Hi all... after a year out im finally in a possition to get back on my project...

Amazing!
What chassis do you use?

andygtt - 15/8/13 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kitman
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt

Amazing!
What chassis do you use?

I designed and made the chassis, a lot of it is t45, started with a flat mdf table, placed a seat and engine block on it and built everything around it :-)

Cars not had much work as I remade all my noble bodywork in carbon (yes made moulds)... I make the excuse that its all r&d for the GTT but in truth I got carried away and was enjoying myself lol

The GTT will now have full carbon body and a twin turbo V10 for what I hope to be 1000bhp.

kb58 - 30/1/14 at 11:05 PM

Realized that I never posted a picture!

Midlana allows building a Seven-type car using of a modern FWD drivetrain, which is mounted mid-engine. Depending upon the dyno, mine gets somewhere between 320-410 whp. There are currently three being built.

Oh, and the Midlana book is out!

[Edited on 1/30/14 by kb58]

Jimmy-boy - 6/2/14 at 08:56 PM

Very nice CAD skills!