Board logo

Anyone building a BEC single seater
grassracer - 11/4/08 at 09:45 PM

As in the title, looking for guidance, inspiration for a new project so any pointers more than welcome

twybrow - 11/4/08 at 09:46 PM

Have you googled the Sprint R? They look great fun and would be pretty damn quick with the R1 lump behind you!

les g - 11/4/08 at 09:50 PM

hi contact
chris gibbs on here as the outlaw i heard he,s writing a new book about a bec single seater
cheers les g

Miks15 - 11/4/08 at 09:51 PM

often thought about something like this

Ive thought mabye if you have two sets of springs and two mounting points you might be able to switch between off road and road within a few minutes? mabye me just going mad but would be fun!

lsdweb - 11/4/08 at 10:46 PM

Me!

Link

Wyn

airframefixer - 12/4/08 at 01:20 AM

The Sport racer network is an excellent place to start. tons of info there. http://sports.racer.net/

Kaspa - 12/4/08 at 01:54 AM

We have a new formula just started, out here with BEC engined wings and slicks single seaters, bit like an up rated formula ford with an R1 i think, in the back, i will track down some details and post them when i find them.
details here and there Busa powered not Yammy as i first thought.
http://www.formulasuzuki.co.nz/Default.aspx
cheers Kaspa

[Edited on 12/4/08 by Kaspa]

grub - 12/4/08 at 10:50 AM

CHECK OUT 480BHP FOR SOME TRACKAY FOOTAGE JUST CLICK ON VIDEOS

grub - 12/4/08 at 11:14 AM

TRY AGAIN 480BHP.COM

grassracer - 12/4/08 at 12:12 PM

Thanks guys, just the sort of thing I'm after. lsdweb, your car is virtually exactly what I was thinking of ie converting an old single seater chassis to bike power for hillclimbs and sprints. I thought about building my own chassis as I'm quite large but the bodywork issue is haunting me a bit, any suggestions where I might pick up an old chassis and panels (apart from Ebay, I'm keeping an eye on there already!)

zilspeed - 12/4/08 at 12:24 PM

You will find race car bits on fastroadandtrack or racecarsdirect

or if you fancy a bit of a laugh into the bargain, contact Dermot Healy, who always has loads of bits for sale.
Just google him and all will become clear.

Nick Skidmore - 12/4/08 at 01:02 PM

This is what I did, F3 carbon tub.

http://www.aems.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/reynick.html

I made a lot of it, took some time but is now very competative. Now resides in Guernsey.

Nick

[Edited on 12/4/08 by Nick Skidmore]

lsdweb - 12/4/08 at 01:20 PM

grassracer

There are loads out there - piston heads, racecarsdirect etc..
One thing to watch out for -

Many single seaters will have the rear suspension integral with the Hewland gearbox - if you're not using the Hewland, you'll need to fabrcate a whole rear half to the chassis like me. The Hewland will be worth more than this work will cost you though!

Dermot Healy is a good contact (no comments from those with a long memory please!).

Feel free to U2U me for more nfo if youwant.

Regards

Wyn

JC - 12/4/08 at 02:51 PM

How about a Terrapin? It was the book before THE book, if you get my drift. Totalkitcar had some in their book shop a while back, or there's info at

Terrapin linky 1
and

terrapin linky 2