Board logo

Handbrake Lever
Cubby - 8/3/08 at 10:12 PM

My standard sierra hanbrake looks like its going to impinge on the gear lever. Has anyone tried moding the handbrake to reduce it length ? Don't want to move it backwards as its not going to be easy to resite the mounting brakets.

eznfrank - 8/3/08 at 10:13 PM

Could you offset it to one side instead?? Don't believe it needs to be central for SVA or any other reason?

blakep82 - 8/3/08 at 10:22 PM

hmm, interesting question. I'm not sure if handbrake levers are allowed to be cut and rewelded. i guess they're not as critical as a brake pedal though

coozer - 8/3/08 at 10:32 PM

Check my blog, I've used a Rover 200 lever thats much better than the Ford one.......

Hellfire - 8/3/08 at 10:33 PM

They can be cut down. I'm sure someone on here has done a few and written a detailed guide, with photographs on how to alter it. Just can't remember who it was.........

Phil

ayoungman - 8/3/08 at 10:38 PM

I cut mine and re welded the bracket in order to lower mine. The handle is now almost flush with the tunnel top. Would this help it miss the gear lever?clicky

[Edited on 8/3/08 by ayoungman]

Cubby - 8/3/08 at 10:48 PM

Thanks guys food for thought.
I thought I'd seen someone who had done it but numerous searches have proved fruitless.

Hammerhead - 8/3/08 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
They can be cut down. I'm sure someone on here has done a few and written a detailed guide, with photographs on how to alter it. Just can't remember who it was.........

Phil

I've done it:

see blog below

[Edited on 8/3/08 by Hammerhead]

NeilP - 8/3/08 at 11:11 PM

The old Luego boys, Matt and Grant used to do it - Both on here, Matt is Carsarva and Grant is Optimum Balance Products.

Before we get the floodgates open please note this is just a fact and information not a recommendation...

andrew.carwithen - 9/3/08 at 12:04 AM

I've shortened mine using 'Hammerhead's' method.
(There's a pic in my archive under 'shortened handbrake' which shows both a standard and shortened handbrake for comparison.)

Paul (Notts) - 9/3/08 at 07:42 AM

Old Luego cut mine down - charged me £15 for the end product.

Paul Rescued attachment feb06 044.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 044.jpg

rusty nuts - 9/3/08 at 09:29 AM

Cut and shut mine , easy to do if you go about it logically

Cubby - 9/3/08 at 09:42 AM

Once again you've come up trumps !

Thanks guys !

Cub

Hammerhead - 9/3/08 at 04:52 PM

if I was to do it again I reckon i'd cut the round handle part of the shaft, like luego, and shorten it there rather than way back near the mech, if that makes sense?

[Edited on 9/3/08 by Hammerhead]