Board logo

Who to speak to to clarify SVA / IVA requirements?
Jesus-Ninja - 26/11/08 at 09:38 PM

What's the best avenue for getting something in the IVA clarified? I'm not convinced that the entry in section 31 RE visibility is very clear, in fact in my opinion it doesn't make any sense. I've not had much feed back from the members here, so where next?

Should I contact VOSA for an explaination?

EDIT: This is what I'm struggling with.... http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=101182

[Edited on 27/11/08 by Jesus-Ninja]

wicket - 26/11/08 at 11:46 PM

There is a technical (engineers not admin staff) help line currently for SVA who may be able to help. Don't have the number to hand at the moment but I will post it tomorrow morning.
I used them a couple of times during our build and found them very friendly and helpful, they will even fax you details/diagrams if appropriate.

Jesus-Ninja - 27/11/08 at 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wicket
There is a technical (engineers not admin staff) help line currently for SVA who may be able to help. Don't have the number to hand at the moment but I will post it tomorrow morning.
I used them a couple of times during our build and found them very friendly and helpful, they will even fax you details/diagrams if appropriate.

Many thanks! That would be most helpful

John Bonnett - 27/11/08 at 06:31 AM

The man to speak to is your local SVA tester. I had several conversations with Byron at Exeter to clarify a number of queries and he not only was very helpful he encouraged contact on the basis that it saved everybody time. He derived no pleasure in failing a car and so it made sense to be sure of conformity on as many points as possible before the test.

John

iank - 27/11/08 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
The man to speak to is your local SVA tester. I had several conversations with Byron at Exeter to clarify a number of queries and he not only was very helpful he encouraged contact on the basis that it saved everybody time. He derived no pleasure in failing a car and so it made sense to be sure of conformity on as many points as possible before the test.

John

Don't think the SVA testers have been trained up in the new IVA requirements yet - there was some kind of shutdown around change-over where that was going to happen IIRC.

Jesus-Ninja - 27/11/08 at 09:48 AM

Anyone point me in the direction of a copy of the SVA doc (draft would probably do), to see what that says about visibility. If it's the same blurb, then I should be able to get the same advice from a local tester.

Hopefully my visibility issue is not that huge, and can be overcome by temporarily raising the seat though

EDIT: Oh, and has the IVA been set in stone then? If so, is the non draft version available?

[Edited on 27/11/08 by Jesus-Ninja]

matt_claydon - 27/11/08 at 10:05 AM

SVA didn't have a section on Forward Visibility.

To my knowledge although the consultation period is over the final version of the IVA manual has not yet been published. I would wait until it is before getting too worried about anything as there will almost certainly be changes.

wicket - 27/11/08 at 10:23 AM

SVA technical help line 01792 458888

Jesus-Ninja - 27/11/08 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
SVA didn't have a section on Forward Visibility.

To my knowledge although the consultation period is over the final version of the IVA manual has not yet been published. I would wait until it is before getting too worried about anything as there will almost certainly be changes.

Hmm, but I don't want to stop building to wait and see...

Jesus-Ninja - 27/11/08 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wicket
SVA technical help line 01792 458888

It might have been when you lst rang it!

"Hello, VOSA"

"Hello, I'd like to speak to someone to clarify something in the IVA"

"The what"

"The IVA"

"No idea what you're talking about"

"The Individual Vehicle Approval"

"Never heard of it"

"Umm.. it's supposed to be replacing the SVA"

"So you want to speak about the SVA?"

"erm... ok..."

And weirdly, if you ring any of the SVA centres they list, they all go through to the same automated switch board!

Still, managed to find out the man who is dealing with the IVA, and left him a voice mail.