Board logo

would SPA speedo pass sva?
ned - 1/7/04 at 01:28 PM

I want to use the SPA digital speedo which incorporates a switchable odometer. Any idea if this would get through sva ok? What is the specific requirement in the sva book as I don't have a copy. Is there any rule about the odometer having to be permanently visibile instead of switchable on the digital display? How do the other digi dashes work?

Thanks,

Ned.

ps link here:
http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/speedo.htm

[Edited on 1/7/04 by ned]

timf - 1/7/04 at 01:33 PM

switchable should be ok

if not how do all the jeeps like mine pass
as the odometer and tripmeter share the same display.

Fifer - 1/7/04 at 03:06 PM

I agree, it should be OK.
By the way Ned, how the hell do you get on building a car without the SVA manual !. I had to refer to it almost every week over my build ?
How much is the SPA speedo by the way ?

ned - 1/7/04 at 03:15 PM

I have a pdf document that has some info in it fifer, though it's not to hand.

The cheapest place I've found is stuart taylor who list it at £138, which when most normal type gauges are around £80-100 doesn't seem too bad when it has the programable timers and is nice and compact.

Ned.

Fifer - 1/7/04 at 03:33 PM

Dont forget my Nordskog ones, I can do them for 150quid including hall effect sender (just point at propshaft uni joint, no magnets required) + carraige in UK.
Has 0-60, 1/4 mile, high speed recall etc. (looks better than the SPA one too in my opinion !)

fifer

ned - 1/7/04 at 03:45 PM

Fifer,

Hadn't forgotten, was looking at them just this morning after your post on 0-60 times. I assume you mean the m9222 speedo? I personally don't like it i'm afraid as it would clash horribly with the other gauges I plan to use.

Ned.

Fifer - 1/7/04 at 03:49 PM

fair comment, just checking

timcrasher - 2/7/04 at 06:27 AM

Ned, I have a Spa digital speedo with switchable odometer, 0-60 timer etc. It's about the same size as a small box of matches.
I passed the SVA test no problem. The tester was impressed how accurate it was, ( 0.2 mph ) under reading at all the speeds tested.

Fifer - 2/7/04 at 08:00 AM

That would be a fail wouldnt it ?
"0.2 under"

ned - 2/7/04 at 08:26 AM

timcrasher, thanks for that. I hadn't heard of anyone using one up til now..

Ned.

BMF - 2/7/04 at 03:27 PM

Ned have a look at this!

Thought you may be interested!

http://www.kitcarmart.co.uk/cgi-bin/suite/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?request=detail&id=10217&category_id=114&sub_id=1080&variable_fil e=default.variables&group=&set=1&position=1&total_count=3&website=default&prev_action=display_sub_list&session=40e57e082c5 8b559

ned - 2/7/04 at 03:53 PM

Thanks Ben! Email sent

Ned.

Alistair - 4/7/04 at 01:40 PM

Ned, I used the SPA speedo in my locost and the combined tacho/speedo in my indy. Both past at SVA and are very accurate. Best way to calibrate them is by entering the wheel circumference rather than using the auto calibration.

DavidC - 19/4/07 at 03:44 PM

How have people mounted the sender for the SPA speedo? Do you use the front wheels/hubs, propshaft or driveshaft for mounting the magnets?