Board logo

Motoring legal advice
theprisioner - 11/4/17 at 07:40 PM

I have a vintage 1937 Austin Seven Special.

It came as an unfinished project. In it's current state or restoration it does not have any lights (Absolutely nothing) in fact I will probably never want to take it out in the dark. I intend to use it for Car Trials etc

There is a device called a daylight MoT. Apparently it is used for track cars and motor bikes where no lights are fitted. You can still ride about in the daytime. An MoT can be applied to any motor vehicle on a chassis No or Registration.

Assuming I have a valid V5 on SORN correct chassis No and Engine No.

Advice Needed
-----------------

1) As the car age requires no MoT at that age can I ride this car in the daytime with no lights?

2) If I obtain a valid MoT, will it make any difference?

Alternatively I could fit lights over next winter but it is a waste of time if they are never going to be used. All I want to do it take the odd trip out testing the motor on public roads.

gremlin1234 - 11/4/17 at 08:43 PM

the mot manual says

quote:
1.1 Front and Rear Position Lamps
This inspection applies to all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are: • only used during daylight hours, and • not used at times of seriously reduced visibility. If this situation occurs, the vehicle presenter should be issued with a VT32 recording the above.

vt32 is an advisory notice
https://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/MOT%20Advisory%20Note%20VT32.pdf
however, since it does not need an mot that probably doesn't help

but what you really need is the legislation:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, section 4 is quite clear
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/4/made

see 3(a) below
quote:

Exemptions—General 4.—
(1) Where a provision is applied by these Regulations to a motor vehicle first used on or after a specified date it does not apply to any vehicle manufactured at least six months before that date.
(2) Where an exemption from, or a relaxation of, a provision is applied by these Regulations to a motor vehicle first used before a specified date it shall also apply to a motor vehicle first used on or after that date if it was manufactured at least six months before that date.
(3) Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to–
(a)a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp,
(b)an incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion,
(c)a pedal cycle,
(d)a pedestrian-controlled vehicle,
(e)a horse-drawn vehicle,
(f)a vehicle drawn or propelled by hand, or
(g)a combat vehicle.
(4) Without prejudice to regulation 16, for the purposes of these Regulations a lamp shall not be treated as being a lamp if it is–
(a)so painted over or masked that it is not capable of being immediately used or readily put to use; or
(b)an electric lamp which is not provided with any system of wiring by means of which that lamp is, or can readily be, connected with a source of electricity.

gremlin1234 - 12/4/17 at 10:53 AM

note even though it would fall in the tax exempt bracket, it still need to be taken of sorn and technically taxed at zero rate.

jps - 12/4/17 at 01:43 PM

Not to do down LCB or any responses so far - but presume not many on here have direct experience of this issue - maybe asking on a forum for sufficiently ancient cars would get feedback from people who have worked this issue in practice more often?

E.g. - I saw a load of Stanley steam cars at Beaulieu last autumn - mostly c. 1910 I think - all of which were being used on the road at the time. People running cars like that must know the best way to approach this problem?

FEZ1025 - 13/4/17 at 10:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
Not to do down LCB or any responses so far - but presume not many on here have direct experience of this issue - maybe asking on a forum for sufficiently ancient cars would get feedback from people who have worked this issue in practice more often?
This is very good advice, my only experience is to say that in the 70's we used to run 60's motorbikes with only a rear reflector & brake light but I suspect that has no relevance at all. Ring the helpline 4 or 5 times, eventually you will get a chicken that actually knows what they are taking about. Other than that find the nearest VOSA HGV testing station that also does IVA's & go in & talk to the examiners, if they don't know, they will know a man/woman who actually does.