Board logo

Pre-IVA checks please (Picture heavy)
tims31 - 12/5/17 at 03:14 PM

Have had my paperwork approved and test is now booked for 16th June so I would like the usual cast over of my car please and comments on what you think may be a problem at IVA.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

adithorp - 12/5/17 at 03:29 PM

Only looking on my phone but...

Looks good. Is that a combo reverse and fog light in the middle? If not you're missing g one or the other. Is it makes as a fog light (think its either an S or F on it)?

pekwah1 - 12/5/17 at 03:41 PM

looks good, might be missing some nut covers (seat belt mounts and wing mirrors) but can't tell from the photos.
Are you sure that you've got the required visible angles for the side repeaters when behind the car?

tims31 - 12/5/17 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Only looking on my phone but...

Looks good. Is that a combo reverse and fog light in the middle? If not you're missing g one or the other. Is it makes as a fog light (think its either an S or F on it)?

Yes a combo fog/reverse light and it is F marked. Taken a gamble with the clear lens, the manual just says 'emits Red light' not a red lens

The side repeaters are visible from the rear but will double check the angles.

Nut covers are on the mirrors

Thanks, keep them coming

[Edited on 12/5/17 by tims31]

tims31 - 12/5/17 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
looks good, might be missing some nut covers (seat belt mounts and wing mirrors) but can't tell from the photos.

I do need some nut covers for the belt bolts but they are 7/16 bolts and the covers I have just fall off. Need to find some that fit

pekwah1 - 12/5/17 at 03:49 PM

or just a bit of glue.....

tims31 - 12/5/17 at 04:06 PM

Having looked at the quality of some of the pictures I have reposted them with better quality ones

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

pekwah1 - 12/5/17 at 04:18 PM

is it sad that i knew that those were A539s from the tread pattern?

gremlin1234 - 12/5/17 at 04:55 PM

looks good
a few things I noticed
the vin plate may have too much information/ incorrect format.
front brake flexy hoses seem far too long
does under the dash on the passenger side have sufficient curvature
steering column seems very close to the chassis, and appears almost straight, so not giving much effect for protective steering. also is it missing a lock nut on the joint above the uj?

miskit - 12/5/17 at 05:38 PM

Will the fire extinguisher and bracket pass the cockpit pointy bit test?

ReMan - 12/5/17 at 08:05 PM

nothing new and i think its a very nice car
as mentioned, side repeaters and steering chafing on chassis, brake pies ok as long as they don't contact anything lock to lock

tims31 - 12/5/17 at 08:31 PM

Thanks for the input.

The steering column isn't touching the chassis but is close. The UJ does not have a lock nut and is as is from the Sierra but does have thread lock on the bolt. The column does slide into the outer so does offer protection.
The brake hoses are long but do not touch and chassis or wishbone and are long enough to flex for the steering angles. Supplied by Fury so hopefully OK.

Under the dash has fibreglass panels of 25mm radius covered in foam.

I guess I may have to remove the fire extinguisher

kingster996 - 12/5/17 at 09:52 PM

Looks very tidy.

Difficult to see from pics but make sure seat belts don't pull down on harness slots. The anchorage points need to be level not below if you follow me.

Can't see the repeaters being an issue like they are on a "seven" style car.

Good luck!

[Edited on 12/5/17 by kingster996]

HowardB - 13/5/17 at 12:38 PM

looks excellent, nothing further to add except good luck and hope to see you on the road soon

avagolen - 13/5/17 at 05:09 PM

Looking great. Best of luck.

I wrapped the nuts on my seatbelt mountings with insulating tape to help the nut covers stay on. No glue involved.

tims31 - 13/5/17 at 05:46 PM

Thanks all, hopefully not too many issues. Will keep you updated.
Len, did you use the flexi brake hoses supplied by Fury?

gremlin1234 - 13/5/17 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
Looking great. Best of luck.

I wrapped the nuts on my seatbelt mountings with insulating tape to help the nut covers stay on. No glue involved.
blu-tack or chewing gum would also work

avagolen - 13/5/17 at 06:15 PM

Yes. No problems with them at Yeading.

hellblue - 13/5/17 at 08:00 PM

Very hard to tell from the pictures but do you have the correct wheel arch tyre coverage at the rear ?

avagolen - 13/5/17 at 08:26 PM

Hi Martin,

I have uploaded a couple of pictures of my front flexible brake pipes. Hope these help.

Description
Description

Description
Description

big_wasa - 13/5/17 at 08:44 PM

Looks great.

Had a sneaky drive around the block yet ?

After Iva you will want to move the air filter.

nick205 - 14/5/17 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
is it sad that i knew that those were A539s from the tread pattern?

Not sad, I recognised them too...familiarity I guess.

tims31 - 15/5/17 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by avagolen
Hi Martin,

I have uploaded a couple of pictures of my front flexible brake pipes. Hope these help.

Thanks Len, Mine are pretty much the same. They don't touch anything lock to lock so hopefully should be ok.

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Looks great.

Had a sneaky drive around the block yet ?

After Iva you will want to move the air filter.

Not driven around the block yet as its been raining but do plan to have a test drive if I can find somewhere locally and borrow a trailer just to bed the brakes in and test speedo etc and iron out any issues before the test on the 16th June.

The air filter is something I as going to look at post IVA. May have to make some sort of sheild around it so the hot air from the rad goes underneath and force cool air onto it. I'll drop your bead tool off when I'm on the road wasa so you can have a proper look.

tims31 - 15/5/17 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hellblue
Very hard to tell from the pictures but do you have the correct wheel arch tyre coverage at the rear ?

Hope they should be ok, they don't stick out past the top of the arch if thats what you mean?

Description
Description

David Jenkins - 15/5/17 at 10:10 AM

My SVA inspector told me that if he looks straight down from the arch and can't see rubber then it's obviously OK. If he can see the wall of the tyre then he will look a lot closer, probably using a straight edge and rule to check how far it sticks out - in other words, questionable and needs investigation. If he can see tread the it definitely fails! Other testers may have different ideas.

As far as I can see in the photos, I'd say that you're well covered.

tims31 - 15/5/17 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
My SVA inspector told me that if he looks straight down from the arch and can't see rubber then it's obviously OK. If he can see the wall of the tyre then he will look a lot closer, probably using a straight edge and rule to check how far it sticks out - in other words, questionable and needs investigation. If he can see tread the it definitely fails! Other testers may have different ideas.

As far as I can see in the photos, I'd say that you're well covered.

Yep, using that rule it is well within, thanks

FuryRebuild - 16/5/17 at 11:24 AM

I like the way you've finished the transmission tunnel - I was wondering about the sharp angles on the retaining strips - are they inside the radius checks?

Also with your hoses - in one of the photos it looked like they rubbed against each other. You may need to find a way of locking that down.

tims31 - 16/5/17 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
I like the way you've finished the transmission tunnel - I was wondering about the sharp angles on the retaining strips - are they inside the radius checks?

Also with your hoses - in one of the photos it looked like they rubbed against each other. You may need to find a way of locking that down.

The edging strips are rounded to 2.5mm radius so should pass the test.
As for the hose your right but I am in the process of changing the thermostat housing at the moment as it has the common leak so will try and adjust the hoses once that has been replaced. Thanks for pointing it out.