Board logo

Mot checks extension
steve m - 25/3/20 at 01:15 PM

Mot extension up to 6 months, from 30 March

Its on the BBc news page, but I havnt seen it on GOV>UK yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52036333

Deckman001 - 25/3/20 at 01:31 PM

Yep, seen it myself on the BBC website, selfishly, it might even let the MOT place that has my car for set up get round to looking at it as at the moment, they are short staffed and crazy busy doing MOT's

Jason

snapper - 25/3/20 at 06:13 PM

Both my kit cars are on SORN so it doesn’t count for me except that the to top needed one on 31st March so 6 months free.
Yes advice is now on .gov

clive7883 - 6/5/20 at 05:46 PM

Just a word of warning for those people considering using the 6 month M.O.T. extension granted by the government, you may have to tell your insurers, your insurers are insuring a road worthy car, if it is involved in an incident and is out of M.O.T they may require it to be checked, the M.O.T extension is the governments decision ,but the government is not your insurer, just be aware.

SteveWalker - 7/5/20 at 12:50 AM

There should be no need to tell your insurer. Your vehicle still has a valid MOT, so satisfies the insurer's requirements and you are always required to maintain your vehicle in a roadworthy condition whenever it is being used. The insurers rules don't say anything about how often an MOT needs to be carried out, only that it is current - frequency is up to the government and there have been numerous suggestions of permanently extending it to 2 years, as is the norm in much of the EU.