Board logo

ABS
injuneer7 - 9/6/20 at 05:13 PM

Can anyone tell me please, if there is a testing requirement to have ABS if your donor vehicle/components were fitted with it.

gremlin1234 - 9/6/20 at 05:52 PM

as far as I remember, not if it has been completely removed. ie no sensors / wiring. but the hubs may retain their teeth.

injuneer7 - 9/6/20 at 06:02 PM

Cheers mate. I hope I can retain my teeth as well!

gremlin1234 - 9/6/20 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by injuneer7
Cheers mate. I hope I can retain my teeth as well!
car/teeth joke, well it was only a minor dent

fregis - 9/6/20 at 08:29 PM

i dont think.
p.s. sorry wrong post can delete

[Edited on 9/6/20 by fregis]

Mr Whippy - 10/6/20 at 06:29 AM

On a different note, I assume on a factory tin top that had ABS, if you junk all that cr&p, poke out the ABS light and re-plumb it. That will be fine for MOT? Obviously would tell the insurance too.

steve m - 10/6/20 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
On a different note, I assume on a factory tin top that had ABS, if you junk all that cr&p, poke out the ABS light and re-plumb it. That will be fine for MOT? Obviously would tell the insurance too.

I think that if a system was originally fitted, then it has to be there and working, like Catalysts and fog lights, as ive had failures on both a long time ago

steve

injuneer7 - 10/6/20 at 08:03 AM

I kind of assumed it would be ok if you'd stripped out the guts of it. IVA manual doesn't specifically call for it.

SJ - 10/6/20 at 08:05 AM

quote:

It used to be 20 years ago.

I had to get my car through an MOT with an ABS sensor out, and as MOT testers didn't test ABS it was just a matter of making sure a warning light wasn't showing.

Could have changed now though.

steve m - 10/6/20 at 08:40 AM

Both Mr Whippy and myself were referring to tintops, not kit cars

To retro fit an ABS system on a kit or self build car, would mean extensive costly experiments to make sure it worked

steve

SJ - 10/6/20 at 08:43 AM

quote:

Both Mr Whippy and myself were referring to tintops, not kit cars

To retro fit an ABS system on a kit or self build car, would mean extensive costly experiments to make sure it worked

steve

Me too

coyoteboy - 10/6/20 at 08:44 AM

Can't do that now as the test includes a check that if ABS is fitted, it is self-testing correctly (and self-test is done at key-on and shown by the lamp lighting up and then going out).

If it's an older car I think they may not notice an ABS light not coming on, but as time goes on that's going to become more and more rare.

I don't think they test for activation on the rollers though.

injuneer7 - 10/6/20 at 02:14 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone. Saw the ref to testing in the manual but thought it might have almost airbag status. I hate ABS on all cars, so it's getting binned.