Board logo

IVA - Not strictly kit car related.
Smudg3r - 27/11/20 at 08:36 PM

I have a project car at the moment that I'd like to save. However I have a few IVA questions and while not strictly a kit car, I assume there is a fair amount of knowledge regarding IVA on this forum.

I have an MX5 with rotten front chassis legs, front cross members and wheel arches. I intend to cut the front off from the suspension towers and build a tube, space from front end.

Q1. Will this require an IVA and be classed as radically altered or can I just get an MOT?

IVA guide
53 - Frontal impact - Ensure the vehicle as presented is accompanied by satisfactory evidence to the required standard.

Q2. What is the standard and what constitutes evidence?

Q3. If it does require IVA, currently the car requires all the airbags to be fitted for MOT, can I remove the air bags and crash sensors fitted to the current structure as it would now be radically altered?

Q4. Is there a technical email address for DVSA to ask these questions if you guys cant help, or will an IVA test centre be able to answer these questions?

loggyboy - 27/11/20 at 09:24 PM

Yes you would need IVA.

But 53 is under the Normal IVA, and you only need basic.

Mr Whippy - 28/11/20 at 06:30 AM

Is it really worth all that work? Sounds like the shell is really well past saving. By the time you have repaired all that, built a new front structure, built a flip front, put it through an IVA. You could have just bought a better example that would be worth more.

I'd expect you'd also need some sort of engineer assessment/report that you're new front was structurally sound seeing that the car does not have a conventional chassis.

If you really wanted to save the car I'd actually replace the front chassis legs, you can get them online but it's a big undertaking and I'd suggest you at least got a body shop to fit and jig those.

From what I have seen the MX5 is one little rust bucket, which is why I don't have one. I have tried but couldn't find any decent examples.

02GF74 - 29/11/20 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Is it really worth all that work? Sounds like the shell is really well past saving. By the time you have repaired all that, built a new front structure, built a flip front, put it through an IVA. You could have just bought a better example that would be worth more.

+1 what the whippet said. By the time you have finished the front, the rear will have rusted, and when you have addressed that, the sills will have gone.

Unless it is particularly desirable car, like the first one registered in the UK or has sentimental value, you are going to spend a lot of time and money not mention ball ache getting it through the IVA.

It all may seem simple when you are thinking about it sitting in bed but when you undertake it, it is very likely to be a money pit.

If it were an Austin Healey or even pre 75 mgb then maybe worth doing.

[Edited on 29/11/20 by 02GF74]