Board logo

IVA Test Failure
shortcircuit - 1/12/20 at 10:59 AM

Having gained a lot of info from this site and others I thought I would share my experience of my recent test.

First, best thing I did was to trawl numerous forums and find out failures were which I intended to cover but missed some.

Not sure where some costings come from but my IVA fee was £450 and I will have a retest of £90

Going through my misdemeanours they were as follows, some I understand and some just a bit ?????

1 Emissions - Totally my fault. I rebuilt an engine with parts given to me including a carb off a 2lt Pinto on a 1300 xFlow. Engine was not running properly before test. Fitted new carb and will get emission tested before retest

2 Fog lamp mounting screw. In the event of a severe rear end shunt the pointed screw I had used to secure lamp could have punctured fuel tank. Changed

3 Fuel cap rubber seal. Existing cap rubber seal perished. Never thought and replacement made.

4 Front brake fluctuation. Hmm, brand new discs that needed bedded in. Car to be towed for emission test with me in it and brakes to the floor.

5 Steering wheel centre edges. Had a very nice old wheel in that did not have sufficiently rounded edge. New wheel fitted.

6 Sharp edges Brackets holding headlamps had edge showing which I thought was within the safe area. Bead fitted.
Main chassis end at front. Again I did not think a sharp edge however now padded out.
Scuttle edges. I had fitted a bead along scuttle all the way round to where it abutted the front roll cage. I left about 50mm not covered???
Exhaust clamp at rear of silencer had top edge visible. Bead fitted.
Exhaust clamp bolt touchable at front of silencer. Although rounded and I thought ok. Rotated .

7 Indicator stalk not staying in on position - right side. I had made a shroud to cover steering area at wheel which was perfect. Unfortunately due to another issue this shroud got moved round so indicator stalk would not stay on. Butchered shroud.

8 Indicator side repeaters. Had fitted one in the headlamp and considered it not visible so added a second to the rear mud wing. Regulations only allow one. Removed rear.

9 Front indicators not in visibility splay. Had fitted these to the nose cone prior to fitting the front mudguards and lined up with edge of wheel. When mudguards fitted?? Moved out 20mm

10 Seat belts not located properly. I had read a thread that indicated that seat belts were taken around the seat rather than through the holes within the seat -wrong.. Simply fix.

11 Indicator stalk markings. Controls have to be marked for their function. An old stalk had been used with no markings. Arrows now engraved and painted out.

12 Wire from coil to distributor not secure.

12 Speedo cable not secured. Now tied to bell housing

13 Front lower wishbone bolts not locking nuts. Had I not knocked off a plastic cover this would not have been apparent however an easy fix and sloppy me.

14 Slack rear mud wing securing bolts. Not sure why not tightened by me.

All in all I am not too disappointed as all relatively easy fixes. All ready for retest, only for above errors, and will report back when I gain IVA.

[Edited on 1/12/20 by shortcircuit]

Mr Whippy - 1/12/20 at 12:07 PM

not bad at all

but -

10 Seat belts not located properly. I had read a thread that indicated that seat belts were taken around the seat rather than through the holes within the seat -wrong.. Simply fix

Deckman001 - 1/12/20 at 02:49 PM

Well done and a shorter list than mine so a bit easier to get your retest soon before the snow arrives

Jason

coyoteboy - 1/12/20 at 02:58 PM

13 feels like you should be aiming to get locking nuts, not hide it with a plastic cap

shortcircuit - 1/12/20 at 03:23 PM

The lack of locking nut was not intentional as was done by previous owner, still no excuse on my behalf and plastic cap, fitted blindly, to remove sharp edge. Locking nut and cap now fitted.

Mr Whippy - 1/12/20 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shortcircuit
The lack of locking nut was not intentional as was done by previous owner, still no excuse on my behalf and plastic cap, fitted blindly, to remove sharp edge. Locking nut and cap now fitted.

tbh I had this problem with my car, the owner had also covered all the suspension bolts with the caps but not one actually had a nylock fitted. I've now just gone on the assumption that everything he'd done previously is wrong.

TimC - 1/12/20 at 03:33 PM

That’s not too bad. Well done. I think I have most of that in hand.

When you say main chassis end at front, can you explain more?

Also, where was your test?

Thanks

Deckman001 - 1/12/20 at 04:04 PM

Probably at the end of the top rail where it is exposed from the nose, My original headlight bar exited from there and I fitted edge trim at the front and mine passed without issue, so if the same, fit front protection and try and fill behind ?

Jason

shortcircuit - 1/12/20 at 04:40 PM

Chassis rail as Jason alluded, questionable but no big deal to soften out. Moulded shape with filler and covered with some rubber so not really noticeable now.

Test was in Livingston.

[Edited on 1/12/20 by shortcircuit]

TimC - 1/12/20 at 09:26 PM

Ah - okay. That one isn’t a concern for me.

In case anyone is interested, I’m documenting my IVA challenge here:
https://kitnet.uk/community/threads/iva-prep-thread-conversion-from-track-car.3178/

shortcircuit - 23/2/21 at 05:16 PM

A quick update.
Had test originally booked for 6th Jan but rebooked for today as not sure about travel restrictions in January. Anyway, passed with flying colours although a bit of a hiccup with the emissions as the first sample failed. Tweeked the carb and got a very good result. I had intended to get this checked before retest but too many complications.
Test station was deserted and I do not think they had much on their books.
Had a dummy run at filling in the V55/4, etc and hopefully will be straight forward for registration. Will no doubt be seeking advise.
Will feed back when on road

Deckman001 - 23/2/21 at 05:31 PM

Wahoo well done, I'm very jealous but hopefully will get mine retested by the end of next month.

Jason

shortcircuit - 23/2/21 at 05:51 PM

Thanks Jason and good luck.

Best bit of advice I can give is in my first post

"First, best thing I did was to trawl numerous forums and find out failures were which I intended to cover but missed some. |

gremlin1234 - 23/2/21 at 06:18 PM

well done, make sure you keep a photocopy of the pass cert.

shortcircuit - 23/2/21 at 06:46 PM

Thanks for that advise. The examiner gave me an extra copy which I will use for registration and retain the original. Will be visiting my garage to get myVIN form stamped

[Edited on 23/2/21 by shortcircuit]

adithorp - 23/2/21 at 06:50 PM

Nice one!

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
well done, make sure you keep a photocopy of the pass cert.

This for sure. You won't get the original back.
Get those forms sent off and you should have plates in time for un-lockdown

shortcircuit - 16/3/21 at 02:13 PM

I posted my application to DVLA for registration on 24th Feb. I got a letter on 3rd March asking for original of test cert and cheque for tax. Returned as requested next day and on 15th March received my V5C. Insured car today and have had a brief spin on the road which was exhilarating as it drove so smoothly. Needing to tweak carb but otherwise ok and all the effort worth while. Will get out a bit more now although will need to obey lockdown restrictions.

Mr Whippy - 16/3/21 at 03:34 PM

excellent, hopefully you'll get a nice summer for it