Board logo

Nylon 12 Fuel lines
bud44 - 31/5/21 at 10:08 AM

Good morning,

I would like an opinion on using Nylon 12 for fuel lines, the tube in question is a Cohline Nylon 12 with all the correct markings etc

I am not actually building a Locust, something different, it is a new car that was part finished before the manufacturer went into liquidation.
I joined here due the wealth of knowledge for building cars and the IVA proceedures etc.

The original used Nylon lines and so do many current manufacturers.
I am wondering should I cover the exposed lines in split loom flexible conduit ?

The lines are nicely clipped, I have even 3d printed some special clips to hold in place etc.
I will try to get some photos later.

Any help much appreciated.
Thank you

ReMan - 1/6/21 at 09:39 PM

Its an uncommon choice I believe in self builds, but as you say its an industry standard on production cars.
So with that in mind, why not If routed and clipped safely?
I don't see why you'd cover it though, better to leave it with the markings showing IMHO

bud44 - 2/6/21 at 08:16 AM

I think my main concern is that they run above the driveshafts, I was thinking maybe IVA wouldnt like that incase a stone or other piece debris was to flick up and strike them.

Thing is all the other vehicles ( low volume manufacturer ) would have had an SVA, now I know it isnt as strict as the later IVA but question is, would they have passed the vehicles under these circumstances ? They must have

It is the perfect time to address anything as the build is chassis only atm.

thanks

Schrodinger - 2/6/21 at 02:31 PM

Contact the IVA centre you intend using and ask them what they think.
I know from using Norwich 3 times that they are very helpful, so don't see why others shouldn't be.

ReMan - 2/6/21 at 08:23 PM

Consider if you already have a concern, then you won't be happy yourself unless you remove it.
But I guess it depends on the routing and with most modern cars having some sort of under tray, that takes much of the stone chip issue away.
I'm still not favouring wrapping them though