Board logo

Registering a Quad for the road
v8kid - 22/10/21 at 02:49 PM

I have just bought a 2003 Honda Fourtrax 350cc that comes with lights but not indicators. As I'm lucky enough to have a few acres of woodland I am going to register it as an agricultural vehicle but am slightly confused with the regs.

It appears I do not need an MOT so does that mean I don't need indicators or road legal tyres? ( the tyres are marked not for highway use). I do need to fit a rear number plate light but that's OK.

What would reasonable insurance be? I was quoted £180 by a broker but bearing in mind that agricultural vehicles are limited to a couple of miles from the usual place of work that seems s bit stiff for an old git like me.


obfripper - 22/10/21 at 05:05 PM

As an agricultural vehicle, you are limited to 6miles a week between properties you own for transport, a 15mile radius for moving produce, and unlimited distance for moving agricultural equipt . Agricultural speed limits are also applicable, so 40kph/25mph max, if it does more than 20mph a speedo and horn are needed.

No mot is required and tax is free, and you cannot take passengers even if the quad is equipt to do so. You stl need to comply with c+u regs, so think like an mot exempt classic.
The tyres may well be road legal anyway if they are e-marked, the relevant numbers are in the tyre section of the mot manual

I suspect the insurance is including liability insurance for its use on your private land, which i suspect is the major cost part of the policy.


[Edited on 23/10/21 by obfripper]

nick205 - 23/10/21 at 08:23 AM

Can you not ask the broker for a breakdown of the £180 policy?

i.e. £xx.xx covers this, £xx.xx covers this etc.

Might give you a clear idea of what you're asked to pay for.

That and getting a few other insurance quotes.

v8kid - 23/10/21 at 12:52 PM

Thanks Chaps

Still not clear if I don't need an MOT why do I have to comply with C&U regs?

It's not like a classic car at all as it was never intended to be a road vehicle this is just an exemption to allow limited access to public roads.

Re the insurance the £180 is just for public road use there is no cover for off-road. Keen to find what others have done re insurance

Regrettably, the tyres are not E marked

Anyone else done this?

obfripper - 23/10/21 at 02:27 PM

The agricultural vehicle c+u requirements are not as strict as for a road vehicle, but still need to be complied with when used on the road ie;

Condition and maintenance of tyres
27.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2), (3) and (4), a wheeled motor vehicle or trailer a wheel of which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre shall not be used on a road, if—

(a)the tyre is unsuitable having regard to the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put or to the types of tyres fitted to its other wheels;
(b)the tyre is not so inflated as to make it fit for the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put;
(c)the tyre has a cut in excess of 25 mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre, whichever is the greater, measured in any direction on the outside of the tyre and deep enough to reach the ply or cord;
(d)the tyre has any lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure;
(e)the tyre has any of the ply or cord exposed;
(f)the base of any groove which showed in the original tread pattern of the tyre is not clearly visible;
(i)the grooves of the tread pattern of the tyre do not have a depth of at least 1 mm throughout a continuous band measuring at least three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre; or
(ii)if the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre did not extend beyond three-quarters of the breadth of the tread, any groove which showed in the original tread pattern does not have a depth of at least 1 mm; or
(h)the tyre is not maintained in such condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or trailer is being put or has a defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or damage to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road.

An agricultural vehicle does not need to comply with (a-g) but does have to comply with (h) - unless being used above the agricultural vehicle speed limit, at which all points then apply.

There's some more general guidance here:


v8kid - 23/10/21 at 04:14 PM

Dave where did you get that quote from? Just want to make sure I don't have to buy E marked tyres

obfripper - 23/10/21 at 04:22 PM

From the 1986 construction and use regulations;

Unfortunately there are many revisions and amendments which can make finding specific things difficult, and where something has later changed but the original does not reflect the change.

Providing you remain within the agricultural limitations, you should be ok with non e marked tyres.


v8kid - 26/10/21 at 04:45 PM

Thanks Dave

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX - 26/10/21 at 07:46 PM

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.

Mike Wood - 31/10/21 at 11:24 AM


Maybe some useful related info here: