Board logo

Brake pressure regulating valve? Anyone Used One?
Rallye_Mark - 26/1/11 at 05:14 PM

After reading into some stuff on the forum, I was initially going to go for a bias bar style set up but the installation costs are just mental!

I was reading that you can get a valve that is fitted to a Ford Focus and other vehicles at the master cylinder which reduces the pressure applied to the rear brakes, allowing larger brakes on the rear to be used.

I ask this because I am going to be running 240mm Vented discs on the front and 250mm solid discs on the back, and for the IVA I cannot use an adjustable bias valve to regulate the pressures, so think this static one could do the trick. I have a lotus Elise pedal Box that I bought off eBay a while ago, so if this works could save me an absolute fortune.

Any help, advice or pictures would be great!

Thanks Mark

t16turbotone - 26/1/11 at 05:25 PM

I used a fiat uno item, works a treat. You can get them from brakes international for about £20

cheers

Tony

Rallye_Mark - 26/1/11 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by t16turbotone
I used a fiat uno item, works a treat. You can get them from brakes international for about £20

cheers

Tony

Any pictures of what its like? How do you fit or adjust it?

Cheers

Rallye_Mark - 26/1/11 at 05:51 PM

Also will this pass the IVA as it is acting as a kind of adjustable bias valve?

t16turbotone - 26/1/11 at 05:57 PM

sorry i didnt read the question properly, i passed SVA ok, although adjustment part had to be 'locked up'
not sure about IVA rules.

Tony

Bob C - 26/1/11 at 06:11 PM

I used the wilwood item - wrote about it in my build log
http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/locost_build.htm
I know nobody believes me, but I reckon you get a better braking system using one of these than a balance bar (which is only 'right' in one set of conditions) provided it's set up correctly. Yes I passed SVA (even though the tester didn't think it would) and yes I had to lock the adjuster - as it has stayed ever since.

Rallye_Mark - 27/1/11 at 04:54 PM

So would this be classed as an adjustable bias valve? OR since they are standard on a certain model of car and was made to be static would pass?