Board logo

Electric Power Steering
Yazza54 - 12/2/11 at 02:16 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good/simple electric power steering systems from production cars that could be retrofitted? (not to the fury)

matt_claydon - 12/2/11 at 02:26 PM

Corsa is very popular, mgf used to be fashionable. So many cars use eps now but it'll be all about whick ones you can get the controller to work. Corsa mod boxes are readily available on ebay.

carpmart - 12/2/11 at 02:40 PM

Corsa is definitely the best option although prices are strong!

coozer - 12/2/11 at 02:41 PM

Corsa or Toyota Corolla. I used to work at the factory that made these and both are good. Toyota one is smaller and lighter but make sure you get the ECU from under the dash. This is separate unlike the Corsa one where its bolted onto the column.

I have all the wiring drawers for the Corsa one if you need any help. Most Corsa's have tilting column where as the Corsa van has a non tilt one so a bit easier to mount.

Both are not the current models but fitted to Corolla's and Corsa's up to about 2007/8.

Bottom column is from the Toyota, just given it away.....

Steve

[Edited on 12/2/11 by coozer]

StrikerChris - 12/2/11 at 03:43 PM

Dont quote me but i seem to remember a 205 on the rally scene using citroen saxo power steering?sure they're elec pump,Dont know if its off the back of the alternator like vauxhauls tho.

Mike S - 12/2/11 at 04:48 PM

I have a Corsa B electric column and a control box with variable assist knob.

Originally bought it to use on a Porsche 924 as they have no power steering. Car now sold so surplus to requirements.

Cost me over £200, but will sell for £100 plus postage if you are interested send me a U2U. Quite heavy so won't be cheap to post.

Cheers

Mike

coozer - 12/2/11 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
Dont quote me but i seem to remember a 205 on the rally scene using citroen saxo power steering?sure they're elec pump,Dont know if its off the back of the alternator like vauxhauls tho.

I have a Saxo pas lying in the garage ready to go on my 106 (one day...). The rack is hydraulic but the pump is electric and sits on the front of the engine. So because it has long steering arms that meet at the middle of the rack it may only fit Saxo's/106's IMO.

DRC INDY 7 - 12/2/11 at 04:50 PM

Fiat punto had electric power steering as well

MikeCapon - 12/2/11 at 07:28 PM

Twingo elec PAS is popular over here.

jabs - 12/2/11 at 08:16 PM

Suzuki wagon R and vauxhall Aquila have electric power steering

40inches - 13/2/11 at 10:29 AM

I used MGF, small and light. Photos in archive.

Yazza54 - 14/2/11 at 03:05 PM

Cheers guys it's for my dad so I'll see what he wants to do

Mr Whippy - 14/2/11 at 03:33 PM

my zafira also has the electric power steering, parts are expensive though

coozer - 14/2/11 at 03:38 PM

Zafira is part of rack still isit??

coozer - 14/2/11 at 03:39 PM

Excuse me.. is everyone else seeing this??

bowood14 - 14/2/11 at 03:40 PM

I have all the bits from a Corsa B sitting in my garage no longer needed include column. ecu, motor and joints must be worth £100 delivered let me know if interested

40inches - 14/2/11 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Excuse me.. is everyone else seeing this??

Yep! Not only on this thread either

40inches - 14/2/11 at 08:36 PM

Seems to be the second post in every thread

smart51 - 14/2/11 at 09:21 PM

Can't use the Micra, Megan, Clio, Modus or Stilo systems as they need wheel speed over CAN and other things to make them work.

HowardB - 14/2/11 at 09:23 PM

punto system is very simple, and works inline with the column. An electric motor drives a worm gear and that delivers the assistance. The input is derived from a torque sensor. They cost circa £80 complete column from a scrappy, from which the EPS is about 6" x 6" x 6".

hope that helps,...

MikeRJ - 15/2/11 at 12:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
punto system is very simple, and works inline with the column. An electric motor drives a worm gear and that delivers the assistance. The input is derived from a torque sensor. They cost circa £80 complete column from a scrappy, from which the EPS is about 6" x 6" x 6".

hope that helps,...

I still want to know how the motor can drive the column in both directions, but if you turn the column you don't drive the motor (at least I presume you don't?).

HowardB - 15/2/11 at 07:03 AM

in the worm system it is possible to drive the worm by turning the steering wheel. in the early punto cars there was a parking assist button that switched the motor on. most of the eps now are full time.
as far as I know the torque delivery is upto 50NM or so.

hth

Trev Borg - 16/2/11 at 11:33 PM

MGF, light, small, cheap, simple