Board logo

How do I fill up brake and clutch lines for the first time on my own
daniel mason - 12/8/11 at 07:05 PM

I am ready to fill up my braking system with fluid tomorrow,and I will be on my own so is it just a case of filling the reservoir with as much fluid as it will take, then jump in the drivers seat and pump the pedal, and keep repeating until fully pressurised?
I also read the rear sierra calipers may fill with air? Is there a way of avoiding this without removing the calipers?

britishtrident - 12/8/11 at 07:11 PM

Save yourself a lot of wasted time buy a an Eezibleed.

Even with an Eezibleed you still need to prime the master cylinder(s)

daniel mason - 12/8/11 at 07:17 PM

How much are they and where from? How do they work

big-vee-twin - 12/8/11 at 07:19 PM

Easiblled is a great tool did mine all on my lonesome took about tens minutes with rock hard pedal afterwards.

Make sure the bleed nipple on your sierra calipers are on top before you bleed,mine are but some upright designs place it at the bottom.

[img] Rear caliper conversion
Rear caliper conversion
[/img]

big_wasa - 12/8/11 at 07:22 PM

There not dear but it depends on what master cylinder you have and if you can get a good seal for the results ie easy bleeding or brake fluid every where.

[Edited on 12/8/11 by big_wasa]

big-vee-twin - 12/8/11 at 07:23 PM

Get them form halfords about £20 basically you fill a bottle with fluid which has two tubes one goes to a spare tyre and uses the air pressure to push fluid through the pipes, the other tube has a screw top wich fits on the master cylinders connect it up then open a nipple and the air pressure pushes the fliud through very straightforward

MkII - 12/8/11 at 07:24 PM

I got an easybleed you can borrow if that helps .m.

Peteff - 12/8/11 at 11:26 PM

If you run an easibleed from a spare tyre drop the pressure to what it says on the instructions. I use the old fashioned bleed tube with the end in a bottle to catch the fluid and have had no problems with brakes.

RazMan - 13/8/11 at 07:44 AM

I found that the eazibleed still left some air in the system - m/c I think. During the bleed procedure pump the pedal a few times to chase any air trapped in there.

Dangle_kt - 13/8/11 at 08:04 AM

easybleed every time! so easy, and it tooked spot on for my front and rear brake systems

phelpsa - 13/8/11 at 09:22 PM

I've bled quite a few brakes / clutches with a jar, clear washer tube and some manic running around Most recently my MR2. Tip for bleeding the rear brakes, while the fluid is bleeding through get on the handbrake and yank it on and off. I could watch the bubbles coming through as I did it.