Board logo

tyre temperature opinions please
rodgling - 3/5/14 at 05:14 PM

After a (very fun) track day at Cadwell yesterday, my tyres (brand new medium compound R888s at 19 psi warm) looked like this:

Front:

Rear:

As you can see, a few small strips are peeling off. To me this suggests they are overheating a little, but I'm unfamiliar with this kind of tyre. Does this suggest the temperature was too low, about right, or too hot, and what should I do about it?

[Edited on 3/5/14 by rodgling]

Doctor Derek Doctors - 3/5/14 at 07:13 PM

Looks fine

Davey D - 3/5/14 at 07:22 PM

Looks normal for a tyre after a track session. Are the shoulders of the tyres discolored/ Blue colour?

FazerBob - 3/5/14 at 08:46 PM

just about perfect.

Slimy38 - 3/5/14 at 08:51 PM

I've only ever seen bike tyres subjected to the same sort of treatment, but the only thing those beads suggest to me is that you had a LOT of fun!!

rodgling - 3/5/14 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I've only ever seen bike tyres subjected to the same sort of treatment, but the only thing those beads suggest to me is that you had a LOT of fun!!

Thanks for the replies, good to know this looks about right. Yes, Cadwell was a lot of fun - am sure if I had more experience with the track I could go a lot faster, but it's a tough track and takes time to get to know it. The gooseneck in particular takes a lot of bravery to commit to...

CNHSS1 - 4/5/14 at 08:50 PM

this is what one of my fronts looked like after a hard weekends sprinting at Anglesey this weekend, yours are fine

Digimon - 6/5/14 at 02:10 PM

That looks like normal pickup from the rubber on the track, nothing to worry about

[Edited on 6/5/14 by Digimon]