Board logo

Rear Drum Brakes
Lander - 30/9/15 at 05:35 AM

Hi All,
I am just trying to buy new brake shoes, pistons etc for my rear drums. I believe they are from a Sierra but the drums measure 200mm which seems smaller than the kits for Sierras I can find on the Bay. It is compounded by not knowing what car type they are off so can't do a normal search.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
Thanks, Ian

voucht - 30/9/15 at 05:44 AM

Hi,
According to my repair and service manual, 1st Sierra 1300 and 1600 have 203.2mm diam. drums (only the 2000 has 228.6mm diam. drums)
So your drums might be from the first "small engines" models ?
Hope this can help
Sylvain

907 - 30/9/15 at 06:54 AM

Apologies Sylvain for contradicting but I have the bigger 9" drums and they came off a 1.6 estate.
I bought the whole back end and discarded the bits not required.

The bigger drums are not needed IMHO and I ended up fitting smaller diameter wheel cylinders from
a Fiesta to tone them down a bit

Cheers
Paul G

Dick Axtell - 30/9/15 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
The bigger drums are not needed IMHO and I ended up fitting smaller diameter wheel cylinders from
a Fiesta to tone them down a bit Cheers Paul G

Whereas I fitted smaller (8" ) drums, but added larger (22mm) wheel cyls. Seems to work OK, although I also fitted a PCRV (pressure conscious reducing valve) to the rear circuit.

SteveWalker - 30/9/15 at 09:37 AM

Definitely 8" drums on mk1 Sierra 1.3 and 1.6 hatchbacks. Caught me out when I first needed to replace parts of my rear brakes, as I'd bought my kit part built and the Sierra's V5 had the (correct) 2l engine on - turned out that the donor was a 1.6 and had had a (probably paper only) engine change. Front brakes are 2l versions!

Lander - 30/9/15 at 10:37 AM

Great thanks guys.

voucht - 30/9/15 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
Apologies Sylvain for contradicting but I have the bigger 9" drums and they came off a 1.6 estate.
I bought the whole back end and discarded the bits not required.

a Fiesta to tone them down a bit

Cheers
Paul G

Hi Paul,

No problem and no offend taken, I just copied what my (French) service and repair manual says... so I guess it is not very accurate

Cheers

Sylvain