Board logo

Help needed locating some metric thread adaptors
daniel mason - 12/3/16 at 03:38 PM

Hi everyone I'm after something to sort my gear linkage out on my Jedi.
The gearchange cable currently has an m5 make thread on eithe end with m5 female rod ends at either end.
I've bought a translogic flatshifter which sits in line with gear cable and uses load sensors to cut coil pack feed. But the unit has an m6 female thread!
Is there such an item which would have m5 female thread at one end with m6 male at the other over a short length under 2" ? Thanks.

rusty nuts - 12/3/16 at 04:29 PM

How about a joiner for 6mm threaded rod with a 5mm helicoil insert in one end and a 6mm stud in the other?

mapman - 12/3/16 at 04:32 PM

Hi Dan.
I'd have thought a local engineering firm could drill and tap a small piece of bar for you? I have a useful little firm near me in Marlow that are great for bespoke turning and manufacturing of odd bits and pieces.
I also looked on McGill's for a couple of turnbuckles that you could cut and weld but they only do an M6.
Good luck.
Mapman.

britishtrident - 12/3/16 at 04:32 PM

M5 stud joiner and a short length of M6 studding --- use a 5mm drill to remove threads to half way point then tap M6, screw ing a length of the M6 studding with a dab of Loctite.

M5 HEX FULLY THREADED Steel STUD CONNECTOR COUPLER Joiner Deep Nut ROD BAR

daniel mason - 12/3/16 at 04:32 PM

A 5mm male to 6mm male adaptor would do. Then I could get a 5mm threaded inset to join the 5mm gear cable to the 5mm adaptor leaving a 6mm thread but can't find any

daniel mason - 12/3/16 at 04:38 PM

Or like this
http://www.collectormodels.com.au/products/steam#_self

02GF74 - 12/3/16 at 05:56 PM

You won't be able to use a M5 helicoil in the M6 female part.

I guess welding up the m6 hole then tapping it for M5 is not an option.

BT suggestion is best; M5 joiner and use an M6 bolt so you can do it up firmly, Loctite or solder it in place then saw off the head and tidy up the end (tip: fit a nut on so undoing it will reform the thread). For extra security drill a small hole in the side and pin it.

daniel mason - 12/3/16 at 06:16 PM

This was my 1st thought
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Threaded-Adapter-M6-Roof-Antenna-Pole/dp/B00HXVZU2W
Then a section of m5 stud connector to join the 2 5mm ends?
Similar to what BT suggested I suppose

Rosco86 - 12/3/16 at 07:51 PM

I can turn you something up if you would like?

daniel mason - 12/3/16 at 07:57 PM

Thanks very much. Ideally around 25mm of female thread at m5 with 15mm male thread at m6! If that's possible? So around 40 mm total length. If you want to pm me I'll send you some money over

Rosco86 - 12/3/16 at 08:45 PM

Pm sent