Board logo

New Plate - Donor Parts Requirements
Ron Lang - 9/8/17 at 05:30 PM

Do you have to have your donor parts reconditioned if you want to register the car on a new plate? If so, do you need to prove it to the IVA inspector?

I'm having a hard time finding places that will recondition parts and the exchange prices quoted on the kit manufacturers' websites seem very expensive.

loggyboy - 9/8/17 at 05:47 PM

Nothing to do with IVA, only DVLA registration.
You will need all new major components - except one that can be reconditioned to an 'as new standard'.

Major components are:
Chassis/Body Shell
Axles
Transmission
Steering Assembly
Engine
Suspension (front and back)

So you will need to send DVLA recipts of the above with the 'Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report' (V627/1)

Common for kits to have a recon transmission, as that's the expensive but to get new.

[Edited on 9-8-17 by loggyboy]

nick205 - 10/8/17 at 04:14 PM

What year would an age related plate be and is it really an issue to have one?

I got a G age related plate on my MK Indy and it worked fine for me. The Pinto engine was reconditioned, but the other bits worked fine with a few oil seal replacements.

kingster996 - 10/8/17 at 09:29 PM

Just get a Q. Much better when it comes to mot down the line as emissions are no issue. A new plate is only new for a short time, then it's old!

A Q is ageless and says "I built this" - and has no effect on value unless you sell to someone who hasn't a clue what they are buying.

Ron Lang - 10/8/17 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Just get a Q. Much better when it comes to mot down the line as emissions are no issue. A new plate is only new for a short time, then it's old!

A Q is ageless and says "I built this" - and has no effect on value unless you sell to someone who hasn't a clue what they are buying.

I didn't realise the emissions requirements were different? Still need a cat though right?

adithorp - 10/8/17 at 09:54 PM

To get through IVA you'll need a cat (unless it's a very early silvertop zetec) to pass the emmision test.

Once registered on either a new or age related plate it'll have to meet the same cat test at MOT. If you get a Q though, the MOT emissions are treated as pre'72 and are visible smoke only.

Only advantage of going new or age related plate is if you want to put a private plate on it.