Board logo

Hub and upright woes
J666AYP - 29/6/18 at 06:51 PM

Evening all,

Abit stuck on a course of action to get the project rolling and would appreciate some input.

The car had front wishbones and cortina hubs/uprights when I brought it and was set up for a live rear axle... my original plan was to use the hubs/carriers off the front of the merc donor and convert the rear of the project to run IRS with the merc components. Simple enough so far.....

However the hubs and carriers from the merc are not suitable. Im thinking about using rwd sierra calipers and carriers all round and ditching the cortina ones. My thinking behind this is that sierra ones are newer, have a wider choise of brake options and service components are more available.

I'm reworking the complete rear end to tie in the diff mounts, suspension and harness mounts so switching to IRS from live axle is not going to be too much bother.

Any thoughts gents?

Jay

[Edited on 29/6/18 by J666AYP]

big_wasa - 29/6/18 at 07:22 PM

I would use the Tina fronts as there lighter and better geo and the Sierra rear. All the bits are available so age isn’t a problem if there straight and usable.

Or even mx5

J666AYP - 29/6/18 at 07:31 PM

Hmm ok, stupid question time...

Do the cortina and sierra hubs share the same bolt pattern?

Also is it a simple enough swap to put modern brakes on the front cortina hubs?

Jay

ettore bugatti - 29/6/18 at 07:48 PM

Both Cortina/ Sierra use an 4x108 bolt pattern.

There is enough brake upgrades on the market for the Cortina upright, like nice lightweight 4 pot calipers.
On the rear I would go for the VAG style brake caliper with integrated handbrake mechanism.

Mercedes 5x112 is also used by Ford on the Scorpio/ Granada, so if you really want beefy brakes.

mcerd1 - 29/6/18 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Mercedes 5x112 is also used by Ford on the Scorpio/ Granada, so if you really want beefy brakes.

but the granada still uses the ford 63.4mm centre bore - so there are only really 2 off the shelf discs that fit the std. granada ones (260x24mm) or the 24v granada cossie ones (278x24mm - basically the same as a cossie 4x4)
some of the bigger merc / audi discs might fit but they'd need spacers to allow for the bigger centres and the offsets on most of them are quite different....

I'm using granada 5x112 hubs, but 4x108 is far easier to find suitable wheels for...

[Edited on 29/6/2018 by mcerd1]

J666AYP - 2/7/18 at 02:20 PM

Cheers gents. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the Mk's on cortina hubs?

Have no idea of the age/model/mk of my hubs.

Jay

Paul_Arion - 2/7/18 at 03:03 PM

No difference as far as i'm aware between Mk3, 4 and 5. Not sure on Mk1 & 2 i'm afraid

As above re the front, if you're looking to upgrade then might be better off looking at the Cortina alloy options, lots of options out there ie:-

Rally Design
Hi-Spec
Burton Power
Motorsport Tools

Loads of brake options are a direct bolt on for these

J666AYP - 2/7/18 at 06:40 PM

Thanks for the links, most helpful. The shopping list has just grown again.

Jay