Board logo

Front flexi bracket annoyance...
jps - 29/3/20 at 12:57 PM

I've come to the conclusion that my front flexi brackets will have to come off and be redone. As they are the flexi-brake line contacts the bottom of the wishbone bracket. The best solution i've worked through is make the brackets longer, currently bodged with a couple of lengths of aluminium bolted through the 'old' hole, to shift the bulkhead fitting by about 25mm, which leaves no contact on the wishbone bracket at full lock both ways and with full suspension movement. I will need to enlarge the cut out in the GRP side panel a little, but that's not a problem.

As it now looks a mess I will cut off the current brackets and redo them in steel that little bit longer! Thought i'd post here for commiseration and any alternative suggestions...

Pics on blog here - can't for the life of me work out how to embed pics anymore...

[Edited on 29/3/20 by jps]

steve m - 29/3/20 at 05:12 PM

I do not know your setup, but on mine, I had to turn the flexis, so that when they were in a tight spot they sprung away from any other item on the suspension, its real hard to explain, but I do know what I did, as on a normal instillation the pipe is left as straight as possible and connected up

steve

mark chandler - 29/3/20 at 06:49 PM

Run some copper stub pipes to bring the flexible hoses to the ball joints, this stops the pulling on lock then twist them on the half nuts to keep away from parts as Steve mentioned above.

jps - 30/3/20 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Run some copper stub pipes to bring the flexible hoses to the ball joints

Sorry Mark - can't envisage what you mean?

coyoteboy - 30/3/20 at 03:20 PM

I think he means if you make a solid link from caliper to somewhere inline with the steering axis, you'll only get rotation about that axis, rather than linear pulling on the hose.

Like here:
http://www.toyota120.com/assets/images/web_Front_nipple_and_Line_mounting.jpg

You see a solid pipe run out to a location in line with (more or less) the top and bottom balljoint (the steering axis).

mcerd1 - 30/3/20 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I think he means if you make a solid link from caliper to somewhere inline with the steering axis, you'll only get rotation about that axis, rather than linear pulling on the hose.

Like here:

You see a solid pipe run out to a location in line with (more or less) the top and bottom balljoint (the steering axis).

which is fine for 4 pot calipers with a fixed housing - not so good for single pot sliding calipers

jps - 31/3/20 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Like here:

which is fine for 4 pot calipers with a fixed housing - not so good for single pot sliding calipers

I did think that, but was going to have a good look to make sure I was not missing something. Yes, I have the standard Sierra calipers so the whole housing moves, hence flexi direct from the caliper. Good point if I ever upgrade though!