Board logo

Recommended me a removable steering wheel
Mr Whippy - 14/12/20 at 02:30 PM

Hi, now that I've fitted the seats and the steering column. I've realised that due to me not keeping up with my gymnastics and contortionist training. Every time I want to go for a drive I will have to break both my legs, which could make the car less appealing.

Hence I have decided to be a bit of a wimp and fit a removable steering wheel instead. Its Sierra based and has to pass the IVA and not be expensive and I'm happy to weld something on.

Any recommendations? Ta in advance

Jenko - 14/12/20 at 02:41 PM

I cant recommend the GO RACE products highly enough:

GO RACE

Most certainly not the 'locost' option, but quality is fantastic.

big_wasa - 14/12/20 at 04:24 PM

Definitely a mod for after Iva.

Jenko - 14/12/20 at 04:32 PM

The Wetsifled IVA steering wheels come up for sale quite frequently as most ditch them after IVA. They have a specifically design pad, and you can buy a removable boss kit

peter030371 - 14/12/20 at 04:45 PM

I have had 2 from Go Race, both work perfectly

Mr Whippy - 14/12/20 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Definitely a mod for after Iva.

Yeah that was the plan but seriously its painful getting in, even standing on the seat. Not helped by me being quite short so the seats move quite a bit in.

Thanks for the suggestion, they look fine apart from the pink colour!

Mr Whippy - 14/12/20 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
The Wetsifled IVA steering wheels come up for sale quite frequently as most ditch them after IVA. They have a specifically design pad, and you can buy a removable boss kit

Cheers I'll look into that

starterman - 14/12/20 at 08:48 PM

Take some advice from one that failed his IVA because of it, fit an OE wheel and put up with it for one day.

Mr Whippy - 15/12/20 at 12:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by starterman
Take some advice from one that failed his IVA because of it, fit an OE wheel and put up with it for one day.

Oh right thanks for the warning. Looks like I need to start doing some exercise...

Dingz - 15/12/20 at 03:56 PM

Can you raise the column any more?

Mr Whippy - 15/12/20 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dingz

I could raise it by about an inch and it is adjustable and the current wheel is a small aftermarket one. Still very tight.

nick205 - 16/12/20 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by starterman

I didn't fail my SVA on this, but chose to fit the donor Sierra steering wheel for the test. Afterwards I replaced it with a smaller diameter (non removable) steering wheel to improve the feel (and look) of the car.

For the sake of the test fit and OEM/donor steering wheel and live with it. Change it afterwards.

Mr Whippy - 17/12/20 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dingz

I've cut the bracket and raised the column by just an inch and can now get in ok. I think it's going to be fine now amazing what such an little change like that makes... Cheers for all the help