Board logo

Steering rack mount - progress
b14wrc - 5/8/21 at 04:15 PM

Hey all,

I bought a Haynes roadster rack mount years ago and never really had a solid plan of how it would fit. Also never liked the flimsyness of the design, so with some plate and a dimple die tool I made on my lathe, I think the final product is in fairness pretty decent.

Rob

Slimy38 - 5/8/21 at 05:00 PM

I like the die approach, very simple design. I have wondered about the strength of the standard mount design, that looks like a good solution.

I have to ask though, is that surface rust just from your workshop or did it start like that?

b14wrc - 5/8/21 at 05:13 PM

Thanks for the comments.

As for the surface rust, my friend, I started this build in November 2012! Does that answer the question? Lol

[Edited on 5/8/21 by b14wrc]

b14wrc - 5/8/21 at 05:59 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=145659

Mr Whippy - 6/8/21 at 08:10 AM

You've made a good job of that. Like the well finished workshop, very nice.

Mr Whippy - 6/8/21 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
Thanks for the comments.

As for the surface rust, my friend, I started this build in November 2012! Does that answer the question? Lol

Even in a dry garage you'll get surface rust just from the moisture in the air. Best to have it quite drafty as that helps.

b14wrc - 6/8/21 at 08:50 AM

I need to finish the workshop, cupboard doors still have plastic on, painting isn’t finished, lighting isn’t done, work tops not finished.....

Just want to get on with the build really, I have enjoyed that section. I am doing the steering column and wheel tonight which will then allow me to weld the rack in position. I have a plan for a complete rolling chassis by the end of the year and that means it must be steerable.

Project binky should be on today, so that will give me some inspiration to get on I’m sure.

Slimy38 - 6/8/21 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
Thanks for the comments.

Ah you beat me, I started mine in 2013 and I'm still going!

I painted my chassis with red oxide primer, if I need to weld on other parts I sand off the primer. Mine was similar rusty but only near the garage door.

b14wrc - 8/8/21 at 09:52 AM

b14wrc - 16/10/21 at 04:41 PM

Evening,

Been developing the front end some, I’m pretty much done I think with the final set up.

Rob