Board logo

Wilwood Cylinder Question
Mr.P - 27/2/22 at 02:39 PM

Afternoon Guys

I have a Tiger Avon which runs Wilwood 4 pots Powerlite on the front and 2 Pot Wilwoods on the rear

Both have there own Wilwood Brake Cylinder which run off a Bias adjuster to the brake pedal, removed the rear one as it has failed, causing rear brake to stick on.

I have never taken the cylinders off prior nor touched them, anyways just removed both and noticed the Rear Wilwood Cylinder is bigger than front

Wilwood 0.75 Rear

Wilwood 0.625 Front

I have never had any issues with braking but thought while I`m there I`ll just change both Cylinders for peace of mind. Is that correct the bigger cylinder is on the rear?? Surely that should be on the front??

Any advice welcome.

ak - 27/2/22 at 03:11 PM

Yep, that is totally normal.

Pressure = Force / Area
So for a given applied pedal force, a smaller bore area will create a higher pressure in the system.

I've got an OBP system and that's also the setup they recommend: https://www.obpltd.com/product-page/master-cylinder-7

mcerd1 - 27/2/22 at 08:06 PM

^^ what he said - big one needs to got to the back

even might seem a bit counter intuitive the bigger master cylinder needs to go where you need less pressure - swapping them round could give you some very interesting / scary braking...

[Edited on 27/2/2022 by mcerd1]

Mr.P - 28/2/22 at 06:35 AM

Thought it would be something to do with a smaller bore vs pressure but thought i`d check prior to putting new ones back on

Thank you guys for the responses