Board logo

axles again... toyota hilux?
blakep82 - 27/8/07 at 04:22 PM

Hi, i'm back on the axle thing again.

considered the one i've already got. its too wide and only 5 studs (i need 6 to match the front)

Capri 2.8i, the same basically as they use for the racing trucks, but 4 studs, and so i'd need the new driveshafts, hubs and brake discs caliper etc. all available, but at a price.

been told on here to look at volvo axles. not enough bolts, and the 6 stud hubs would be even more difficult to find, and more expensive to have made up

considering toyota hilux now... same bolt pattern as the bedford midi uprights i have on the front. don't know what width they are...

so, question to every one on here is,

1) do you have a toyota hilux with live axle on the back?
2) what's the stud PCD?
and
3) whats the distance between the outer faces of the brake drums? ideally looking for 58"

cheers!
Blake

[Edited on 1/9/07 by blakep82]

ned - 27/8/07 at 05:46 PM

It's a good job you're not being too specific

Just checked outside for you but afraid I dont own a hilux

Ned.

blakep82 - 27/8/07 at 06:11 PM

how important is the bore size

[Edited on 27/8/07 by blakep82]

zilspeed - 27/8/07 at 08:19 PM

Is it possible you've backed the wrong pony with the Bedford front uprights ?

You seem to be ploughing a new furrow with that choice of ironmongery which is clearly causing an issue with your choice of back axle.

blakep82 - 27/8/07 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Is it possible you've backed the wrong pony with the Bedford front uprights ?

You seem to be ploughing a new furrow with that choice of ironmongery which is clearly causing an issue with your choice of back axle.

the bedford uprights are the ones they use for racing, so the chassis is built around them (not by me) and i'd like to use the same axle they use for racing (capri 2.8) but they're very hard to find.

locost_bryan - 28/8/07 at 12:18 AM

Give Jeremy Clarkson a call at Top Gear - they've got one sitting out the back and the axles really are indestructible.

Hilux PCD is 139.7mm, rear track is 1405-1425mm (depending on year and wheels/tyres).

Good news is most have LSD as standard.

DIY Si - 28/8/07 at 02:49 PM

Would it not be easier to just re-drill the rear drums to get a 6 stud pattern? Or use a suitable steel plate to adjust the pattern?

blakep82 - 1/9/07 at 09:38 PM

^ its still too wide, and i'm not keen on drilling holes in brake parts.

bah, i've changed my mind again... I'm going for an atlas axle again... was there any difference in strength between 1.6, 2l and 2.8 capris? ie are all the casings the same, just different half shafts, or are they all as strong as the next one?

[Edited on 1/9/07 by blakep82]